Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

41 minutes ago, Destino said:

I enjoy fishing, and so I (just like golf fans) also have no room to complain about the boring hobbies others.  Floating around in a plastic kayak that smells vaguely like fish and plastic worms is my idea of an ideal morning.  No one will ever convince me otherwise.  

Destino, where do you kayak fish?

30 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I am okay with Lance Armstrong use PED for his Tour de France victories.

And cyclist are some pretty tough people.

This guy crashed on day 1 of the Tour de France, busted his left scapula, and still finished the entire tour.

Still not ok with Lance and PEDs though...he pissed me off. I defended that lying prick for a long time.

38 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Still not ok with Lance and PEDs though...he pissed me off. I defended that lying prick for a long time.

It's not like he was competing against clean competitors. 

Like the NFL, if you think any of these guys (bar Herschel Walker and Jared Lorenzen) are nature made, then I gotta bridge to sell ya. 

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Hockey players though. They all play with 365 broken bones and torn ligaments every damn year. How? Is it the beer and alt rock/metal?

Oh and back on topic NHL>MLB>NBA

That is the power of the Mullet.

50 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I am okay with Lance Armstrong use PED for his Tour de France victories.

And cyclist are some pretty tough people.

I'll one-up that unpopular opinion:  Lance Armstrong used his notoriety to raise over half a billion dollars for cancer research.  He cheated in a sport where everyone cheated.  He's not a villain.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'll one-up that unpopular opinion:  Lance Armstrong used his notoriety to raise over half a billion dollars for cancer research.  He cheated in a sport where everyone cheated.  He's not a villain.  

Shoulda just played it like that come out and admitted and used that counter argument and rode off into the sunset (he was done anyway).

"Yeah. I'm sorry (because I got caught) and there are no clean riders anyway. But I raised $500M for cancer research—that's my legacy."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Shoulda just played it like that come out and admitted and used that counter argument and rode off into the sunset (he was done anyway).

"Yeah. I'm sorry (because I got caught) and there are no clean riders anyway. But I raised $500M for cancer research—that's my legacy."

Come on man, he has one ball.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Got a typical obtuse DC inhabitant trying to argue that Lance would've raised that much money if he was just another rider.

He definitely would not have, but that's entirely beside the point.

He cheated and was the best at a sport where everyone cheated.  This made him very famous.  Instead of him being all about him, he used that fame to help others, and he was remarkably effective at it.  

If Armstrong was a cheater and a dick (like, I dunno, Barry Bonds or ARod or Clemens), then I would definitely be saying **** that guy.  But he wasn't a dick, he was an extraordinarily generous person with his time and efforts and used his ill-gotten gains to do a lot of genuine good.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Occoquan Regional Park, Pohick Bay, Aquia, and sometimes Burke Lake.  Kind of new to it so I haven't really settled on what I'd consider my "spots." 

I remember fishing at a summer camp at Burke Lake. Got a hook stuck in my hand. Good times. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I remember fishing at a summer camp at Burke Lake. Got a hook stuck in my hand. Good times. 

I've never had that happen, but I've had some close calls and have since learned to lever the rod at an angle away from me instead of straight up in line with the fish.  These near misses did inspire me to seek out education, as a precaution, and learn how to remove a fish hook.  Sadly I made the mistake of selecting the video with the most views and nearly cringed myself to death. 

If you have a strong stomach and hate yourself enough to watch a guy stick fishhooks in his arm with the intention of demonstrating a neato trick for removing those fish hooks... only to have the afore mentioned trick fail horribly, click here. I don't recommend it. 

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

If you have a strong stomach and hate yourself enough to watch a guy stick fishhooks in his arm with the intent of demonstrating a neato trick to removing those fish hooks... only to have the afore mentioned trick fail horribly, click here. I don't recommend it. 

That didn't bother me.  When you said fail horribly, I was expecting a chunk of flesh to come out with the hook, and a lot of blood.  Didn't seem all that bad to me.

My experience with a fish hood wasn't me or a buddy, but a dog, who ended up getting hooked on the tongue.  Getting him to hold still to get it out while he was afraid and yelping in pain was not fun.