Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Same, it’s the slime and the acid that kills me. 

Yes and not to mention the skin. It all adds up to something not palatable to me at all, although there are foods made with tomatoes that I love.

I probably picked a thousand of them as a kid, but you'll never find a slice of one on any sandwich or cheeseburger I'm eating.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Same, it’s the slime and the acid that kills me. And with the current forced rippened tomatoes it makes for mealy nasty “fruit”.

My father-in-law runs a sustainable vegetable farm and in the summer he grows these heirloom tomatoes that are unreal. Substantive when you bite into them, the flavor is the perfect amount of sweetness—you could probably eat them as is. Also, like you, they seem less acidic so it appeals to me. Not at all in the same ball park as the pale red, flimsy ones you can buy in a typical grocery store. Sadly, you can only get them for a short period in the year. 

heirloom-tomatoes-1.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Yes and not to mention the skin. It all adds up to something not palatable to me at all, although there are foods made with tomatoes that I love.

I probably picked a thousand of them as a kid, but you'll never find a slice of one on any sandwich or cheeseburger I'm eating.

I order “no tomato” on all of my take out samdwiches, and I HATE pulling them off when they forget so I have actually been forced to start telling them that I have a tomato allergy because they screw up so often and I HATE that nasty pale mealy mush with acidic slime. So gross!!!!

I love the look of heirlooms, I’m going to have to try them raw, but the thought of biting into acidic slime...gag

Kids get too many gifts for Christmas and, to a lesser extent, birthdays. These events are TOO MATERIALISTIC.

I'm not the most religious of people but I feel that Christmas is a religious celebration and the reason is lost behind GIFTS. My kids get a small mountain of gifts from us, grandparents, relatives, santa, etc. To add to their already prodigious assortment of toys. It's to the point that while we unwrap most gifts for them we don't take them out of packaging. We embargo them in the basement for some other time of year, or donate them. There is just too much.

My wife grew up in a household where Christmas, Valentines, Easter, etc—you got gifts. I don't get it. I'd be okay with non-material gifts like experiences (concerts, dinners, trips, etc). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Kids get too many gifts for Christmas and, to a lesser extent, birthdays. These events are TOO MATERIALISTIC.

I'm not the most religious of people but I feel that Christmas is a religious celebration and the reason is lost behind GIFTS. My kids get a small mountain of gifts from us, grandparents, relatives, santa, etc. To add to their already prodigious assortment of toys. It's to the point that while we unwrap most gifts for them we don't take them out of packaging. We embargo them in the basement for some other time of year, or donate them. There is just too much.

My wife grew up in a household where Christmas, Valentines, Easter, etc—you got gifts. I don't get it. I'd be okay with non-material gifts like experiences (concerts, dinners, trips, etc). 

Very recently my children's mother and I have tried to change birthdays and Christmas a bit. There still need to be some gifts under the tree, but those are almost just a formality and consist mostly of smaller things. We've been trying to give them experiences as gifts instead. Trips, outings, things like that. 

It's still a little tougher for Christmas because they believe in Santa, but much easier for birthdays. To your point though, it's much better than finding 4 unopened games or toys in the basement sometime in May. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Easy fix. 10 toy limit. Video games don't really count. 

Now the loophole is if your child really finds a substancial interest in something along the lines of collecting. 

To me it teaches how to give and not hoard, and a sense of appreciation for the things you have. 

Clothes and such should matter at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Easy fix. 10 toy limit. Video games don't really count. 

Now the loophole is if your child really finds a substancial interest in something along the lines of collecting. 

To me it teaches how to give and not hoard, and a sense of appreciation for the things you have. 

Clothes and such should matter at all. 

I think we (my family) need to institute a giving component for our kids. Either service or donations.

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You could always give me money in front of them.  Should probably be at least a grand if you want to really drive the point home.

No. You’re  getting a deluxe Shopkins gift set with matching Jammies. And you’ll be grateful.

• Haha 1

What if we allowed boxing with padded helmets in inner city schools as a sport to play?  What if two kids that are beefing to the point of wanting go home and get something can request to box each other instead?  Do kids even fight in inner city schools anymore?  I did and got away with my life i felt, suburbs we too scared to shoot somebody and handled it during lunch.  Kids need more outlets, the number of shooter games out there instead is starting to concern me.

• 2 weeks later...

People who give out full size candy bars are assholes. 

Went trick or treating in my brother in law’s upscale neighborhood this year. So many houses gave out full sized bars. It’s impractical for kids to have that much chocolate around after. It’s unhealthy-yeah, it’s already unhealthy but let’s not pretend more is better in this case. Most of these moms are your “Whole Foods shopping only organic food” type-yet they participate in this gross hypocrisy. 

The full size bars are mostly due to pretentious acts of conspicuous consumption.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:07 AM, Renegade7 said:

What if we allowed boxing with padded helmets in inner city schools as a sport to play?  What if two kids that are beefing to the point of wanting go home and get something can request to box each other instead?  Do kids even fight in inner city schools anymore?  I did and got away with my life i felt, suburbs we too scared to shoot somebody and handled it during lunch.  Kids need more outlets, the number of shooter games out there instead is starting to concern me.

When I was in HS...Four score and seven years ago. 

We had organized fights after school at a field a few blocks away. Gloves, bets, and beef was settled quickly. 

On 10/23/2018 at 9:21 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

You could always give me money in front of them.  Should probably be at least a grand if you want to really drive the point home.

Reminds me of a time I gave an ex of mine a thousand dollars in ones. I put it in a shoe box. She threw the money to the side and asked where the shoes were ? 

I was so embarrassed because it was in front of her whole family. Thus the reason she is an ex. part of the reason.

Looks like this... 

Image result for 1000 dollars in ones

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

When I was in HS...Four score and seven years ago. 

We had organized fights after school at a field a few blocks away. Gloves, bets, and beef was settled quickly. 

I like that.  I know kids still do scheduling, even if not always to that extent.  One thing I definitely remember being in school and not always wanting to give people the chance to go home and come back.  Fight in a classroom in DC made more sense at the time, that junior high had metal detectors.  That's literally where I would start first, inner city junior highs.

17 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Come on man. The school was not a part of the organization. 

We, as kids, wanted to see the fights and wager. 

I won the two that I was asked to compete in. 

Made a few bucks and lost a few as a spectator/bettor. 

Not the wagering part, like actual boxing as a sport, that's what I want in school (that's what I said originally).  That's interesting ya'll did that, I can't hate it, better then people killing each other.

Edited by Renegade7

I got one:  I think the Zombie Pop Culture Epidemic is directly related to how much we hate each other right now.  Think a lot us look at each other as zombies anyway and just looking for an legitament excuse to start killing each other.  When you look at the explosion in online multiplayer shooter games, its feeding that itch, it even has zombies.  Think there's even a built in reality that 99% of the people that wish they could go this route don't want anything shooting back.  That's another reason most if not all these mass shooting are soft-targets.

Edited by Renegade7

On 11/5/2018 at 5:27 PM, Elessar78 said:

People who give out full size candy bars are assholes. 

Went trick or treating in my brother in law’s upscale neighborhood this year. So many houses gave out full sized bars. It’s impractical for kids to have that much chocolate around after. It’s unhealthy-yeah, it’s already unhealthy but let’s not pretend more is better in this case. Most of these moms are your “Whole Foods shopping only organic food” type-yet they participate in this gross hypocrisy. 

The full size bars are mostly due to pretentious acts of conspicuous consumption.

you are even more WRONG than usual with this post!

(spoiler for cussing....)

e6548-10727565_335955333255739_588962881 

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Haha 3