Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

41 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, though (as I’m sure you read)... 

“I think we have enough runs out of our 11-personnel, Tiger, 12-personnel, that we may not need it, but if we do want a couple, we might be able to cross train somebody on our roster and we’ll figure it out later." - Gruden

Sure, but Jay also went on praising the guy as well. Which is not much surprising from our HC, and doesn't prove much.

But still, two sites are backing up this idea now in Riggo's Rag and Finlay from NBC Sports, so that is worth noting. At the very least the guy will end up on the practice squad with low risk of being stolen.

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

When you draft a guy who at best is a JAG, at a position that isn’t of need and that player probably won’t even see the field because he is 3rd on the depth chart...yes seems like a waste. 

Talent finds a way onto the field. Talented guys don’t just sit on the bench. Its his second year so things could change but I’m not sure yet.

He may be 3rd on the depth chart, but he's also our best blocking TE on the roster because Reed and Davis and not really good at it...

And probability is also high that he'll ends the season as 2nd on the depth chart, because of Reed's history.

Guy was drafted for his blocking ability first and foremost, and he's no disappointment at this. He can also catch balls with good skills here. So no, I really don't see him as a waste so far.

A wasted pick was Matt Jones.

48 minutes ago, dyst said:

When you draft a guy who at best is a JAG, at a position that isn’t of need and that player probably won’t even see the field because he is 3rd on the depth chart...yes seems like a waste. 

Talent finds a way onto the field. Talented guys don’t just sit on the bench. Its his second year so things could change but I’m not sure yet.

The Skins frequently run two tight end sets, even occasionally three.  Vernon Davis i in his mid 30s, Jordan Reed is fragile.  The third string TE is just a little bit different than the third string QB when it comes to playing time

1 minute ago, carex said:

The Skins frequently run two tight end sets, even occasionally three.  Vernon Davis i in his mid 30s, Jordan Reed is fragile.  The third string TE is just a little bit different than the third string QB when it comes to playing time

I can’t complain much since he was a 5th rounder. Maybe he will be our new Logan Paulson.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Yep.  QB is one of the few positions that a backup is a true backup.  When your starting QB goes out, you have decided that the game is no longer worth risking your starter or something bad is going on. Even bell cow running backs only get 60-70 percent of offensive snaps

It's getting time for Jay to start stepping up the intensity level at practice gearing up for week 1. I don't care who's on the final roster.... WE MUST WIN THE OPENER!!!

Tell Norman he's shadowing Larry Fitz wherever he goes...

Tell the d-line the rotation will be in full effect and everyone needs to ramp it up.

Chris Thompson and AP will carry the RB load...with Kelley ready to spell AP.

Feed Reed, Doc and Crowder with designed plays sprinkling in some VD and CT.....

Homerun ball to P-Rich in the 2nd half on play action....

Blitz Bradford and get him out of the pocket....

Stuff the line on David Johnson....We need to come out aggressive and set the tone for this season. 

Playoffs or bust!

This is something that came up in the Alex Smith thread (which, FWIW, I have no idea why that thread exists, but whatever).  I thought the point brought up by Temper11 was a really good one, and then I followed it up with an added fact.

Since the topic of how much to play starters is kinda a central theme of this thread, I thought I would bring this over. 

LgPiFg2.gif

@Temper11 posted this:

On 8/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, Temper11 said:

In an effort to answer my own question about 75 in my previous post.... i think what happened here is he and 73 are engaged with 99 at the same time, and both leave 99 at the same time to help outside just as Smith tries to run for the 1st down.  99 was like "Merry Christmas to me!"  I'm sure each thought the other had 99 and assumed they could peel off and help elsewhere.

Then I commented thusly:

Psssssttttt: this is why the pre-season is actually important.  To work this stuff out so it doesn't happen in Arizona, and we're not saying, "We are going to work that out..."  

This is an example of why they actually need reps in games.  And more than just 20-30 reps.  To get the kinks worked out.  I'm sure THIS issue won't happen again.  But that doesn't mean this is the only issue.

This post has nothing to do with Alex.  But it stuck out as a perfect example of what I've been preaching in other threads.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

Anyway, nowhere have I seen such a great visual aid as to why the team needs to get reps in preseason games.  This is a pure 100% oops by the OL. And I'm 100% convinced it will get worked out in the film room.  But the more reps you get in pre-season, the more of these things get worked out so they don't happen in the opener.

And FWIW, all of the guys involved here are vets who have played together. 

Anyway, I thought Temper11 did a great job, and it illustrated an important point, and was relevant to this discussion more than the Alex Smith "discussion."

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

^ Yes, but he's just an Alex Smith fan and not a Redskins fan. Mournholdblader stated he should not be credible, or something to that effect. 

So, what is the verdict of temper11 then? ? 

I don't really care about his background.  The fact is you had 2 offensive lineman double-teaming a guy, and both peal off for no reason.  You can see that with your eyes in the clip.  And then #99 is just left free to run straight at the QB. 

Under any circumstance, it makes NO sense.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't really care about his background.  The fact is you had 2 offensive lineman double-teaming a guy, and both peal off for no reason.  You can see that with your eyes in the clip.  And then #99 is just left free to run straight at the QB. 

Agreed, and hey, how about the slot WR and TE running routes in the same immediate area? No way that was designed as such. 

4 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Agreed, and hey, how about the slot WR and TE running routes in the same immediate area? No way that was designed as such. 

It looks like 87 was supposed to keep going inside, instead he made a move and went outside right to where (I think) Crowder was, which drew a defender right into the throwing lane.

Which is why Alex couldn't unload it. 

And then the OL mixup gave a guy a free run at him. 

Yeah, all bad.

But CLEARLY we don't need game-reps.  Practice is good enough.  And the FREAKING JETS were in town.  That's better than a pre-season game!

Sorry, this is a sore subject for me.  The team needs more preseason reps.  Not just the QB.  The whole freaking team.

I hope against hope that they don't let Bradford and company run up and down the field on them, and the excuse after a week 1 loss to a team with a new HC and new QB is, "Well, it's tough to win on the road, and they have a lot of weapons on offense."

And of all the scenario's out there, I give that scenario the greatest chance of coming true. 

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

^ Yes, but he's just an Alex Smith fan and not a Redskins fan. Mournholdblader stated he should not be credible, or something to that effect. 

So, what is the verdict of temper11 then? ? 

Clearly someone has their nose bent out of shape. :P

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It looks like 87 was supposed to keep going inside, instead he made a move and went outside right to where (I think) Crowder was, which drew a defender right into the throwing lane.

Which is why Alex couldn't unload it. 

And then the OL mixup gave a guy a free run at him. 

Yeah, all bad.

But CLEARLY we don't need game-reps.  Practice is good enough.  And the FREAKING JETS were in town.  That's better than a pre-season game!

Sorry, this is a sore subject for me.  The team needs more preseason reps.  Not just the QB.  The whole freaking team.

I hope against hope that they don't let Bradford and company run up and down the field on them, and the excuse after a week 1 loss to a team with a new HC and new QB is, "Well, it's tough to win on the road, and they have a lot of weapons on offense."

And of all the scenario's out there, I give that scenario the greatest chance of coming true. 

Yeah, I've really not been happy about how Gruden approached the preseason, and how he runs TC in general. Smith needs reps, and that just a no-brainer. When you come to a new team, everything is new. You need to get out there and get as much exp as you can, same with anyone that comes in. And if your vets are goofing on things like routes, I'd be dropping them  and make them give me 20. Apparently that happened in the shared with the Jets, when the Jets made mistakes, they got dropped. The Skins thought it was funny.

4 hours ago, dyst said:

Seriously? :ols: he's behind Davis who's had an incredible career and was one of the best at times and Reed who is the best receiving TE when healthy. It's not like he's a guard that can't push SL out the way. He was one of the only quality TEs last year that was a blocker and Receiver in the draft. I wanted Howard and to cut or trade Reed, but he was the next closest. 

Extremely mixed on more pre season reps vs not. On one hand I truly believe the reps could help us get off to a faster start. On the other you see injuries like to Guice that no amount of training or reps would have prevented. It was a fluke injury in a meaningless game, and you have to figure that hurts us more in the long run than it helps us in the short. So I get it, I really do. 

Fact is, you can come out flat regardless of pre season performance or amount of reps. They need to start fast this year, there needs to be a sense of urgency. I think more pre season time would help that. But at what expense? That's the million dollar question. Because if we suffered another injury similar to Guice, I would bet the whispers of sitting key players would get louder. 

8 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Fact is, you can come out flat regardless of pre season performance or amount of reps. They need to start fast this year, there needs to be a sense of urgency. 

Sure would be nice if Gruden could somehow motivate the team into believing game one is a Code Red situation.  And then carry that attitude through the entire season. 

The question isn't just one of reps, but of focus. How do you keep the team sharp? Gruden hasn't been able to do it so far by treating his preseason games and training camps with antipathy. The message "This is a waste of our times," is one that seems to translate through every level of the team. They just don't seem to push. If, you could demonstrate that focus, that everyone is on the same page, etc. then no one would worry about preseason very much.

In the glory years, I remember Gibbs' teams often lost, BUT, what I also remember is that when the first team was out there, they beat the other guy's first teams. They were almost never outhustled. Gibbs' preseason football was as vanilla as you could get. In fact, vanilla may have been too spicy a flavor for what he brought to the field, but the players that played were unified, intent, and executed.

Gruden needs to find a way to unite, create intensity, and get his teams to execute. Maybe it all comes together in week one. History suggests that it will take three weeks before the Redskins start getting their act together. By then, they may have lost a quarter of the season.  And that's why, so many of his good teams struggle to reach .500. Their preseason takes place during weeks 1-3 and by doing so... their spotting all their opponents a pretty damn big lead.

19 minutes ago, Burgold said:

In the glory years, I remember Gibbs' teams often lost, BUT, what I also remember is that when the first team was out there, they beat the other guy's first teams. They were almost never outhustled. Gibbs' preseason football was as vanilla as you could get. In fact, vanilla may have been too spicy a flavor for what he brought to the field, but the players that played were unified, intent, and executed.

We all know Snyder hates Vanilla... Look no further.

22 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Schreff just made an assignment blunder. Brain fart. It happens.

I'm sure he heard all about in the film sessions.

23 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Homerun ball to P-Rich in the 2nd half on play action....

Except it was the first play of the game for us and it was a homerun thrown to Pryor, that is what we did last year. It was that miss that told me we were going to miss D-Jax big time.

1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

Except it was the first play of the game for us and it was a homerun thrown to Pryor, that is what we did last year. It was that miss that told me we were going to miss D-Jax big time.

I remember that throw, against the eagles. I think the sun might have been in his eyes but regardless it wasn’t very encouraging. 

Is Richardson even football fast? He might be 40 fast but I haven’t seen many big plays from him. DeSean was fast, practically 5+ yards ahead of the defender on many of his highlights. Hope Richardson can do a variety of things.

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Schreff just made an assignment blunder. Brain fart. It happens.

I'm sure he heard all about in the film sessions.

The d lineman stunted... looked like scherff and chase passed it off to each other and peeled off.  Hard to know who was at "fault"

I'm sure they got on him pretty good tho ?

20 minutes ago, dyst said:

Is Richardson even football fast? He might be 40 fast but I haven’t seen many big plays from him. DeSean was fast, practically 5+ yards ahead of the defender on many of his highlights. Hope Richardson can do a variety of things.

DeSean in his prime was a generational talent in regards to speed.  It's not fair to compare wrs to him when he literally might be the only one who can do what he does.. as well as he does.  I dont think anyone in the league can be djax 2.0

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Do you miss D Jax like me? Wish we still had a deep threat like him.

Archived