Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just want to take a second and acknowledge Rob Kelley, with the coming (if not already transpired) ascension of Guice as our stud RB starter he will quickly be forgotten...

I think he's another player from the boot Doug Williams took a flyer on. One thing you can say about those guys is that they will fight for their opportunity til their legs fall off and I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Perine out. 

Rob Kelly had a interview with Doc Walker today and he was talking about how they brought in a full back this year and the RB room feels like that shows that they want to commit to a stronger run game. I was sitting there thinking didn’t you play full back in college ?

I think him or Perine would be making a smart business move if they worked on playing FB. It would make our backfield that much more dynamic. 

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just want to take a second and acknowledge Rob Kelley, with the coming (if not already transpired) ascension of Guice as our stud RB starter he will quickly be forgotten. 

We never really talk about this, but the fact that this random guy just had an 800/7 rushing season in the NFL is insane...on a historically unlikely level. And that speaks to his work ethic, especially considering he had competition from a 4th round RB pick last year in Perine who should have run away with the job. 

I'm not joking when I use the phrase "historically unlikely". 

Rob Kelley is a 2nd percentile athlete in the NFL. Yes, that number is correct. 

Rob Kelley had like, 200-300 yards rushing his senior year at Tulane, with a sub-4.0 YPC. 

He was not drafted. 

It is crazy he even got a chance in the NFL. 

This guy was more unlikely to ever start an NFL game than any other underdog RB we've had in recent memory, I'd argue. He had no 5-star pedigree like over-hyped flameouts Lache Seastruck and Keith Marshall. He had no college production like Alfred Morris or Evan Royster. Its almost unbelievable he even received a damn camp invite in the first place.

Here's to you, Rob Kelley. You are literally what training camp fan favorite underdog success stories are made of, and possibly one of the best examples ever. He and guys like him in the NFL are the reason why training camp is such a fun follow for football fans--a starter can be born any moment, with enough hard work, or the right combination of injuries and scheme, or any other number of factors. Anyone invited to an NFL camp has a shot to start an NFL game some day. 

Rob Kelley?  Is that you?!

A couple thoughts:

1.We have Da’Ron Payne, he’s gonna be really good. Embrace it, Enjoy it. 

2. Guice!

3.The Kirk knocks don’t surprise me in the least from the guys. You like that?! The shtik wore thin.

4.We have Alex Smith, he’s really  good. Enjoy it, Embrace it. We are lucky as hell to have him.

5.There is HOPE in DC, that’s all you could ask for really. HTTR! Excited for the season, Adelante!

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am rooting for Rob to beat out Perine, actually.

I also expect him to be faster, now that he's slimmed down so much. And that's just referring to his haircut.

Craig Hoffman from 106.7 would echo this -- he loves going on about how he thinks Kelley is better than Perine and wouldn't be shocked if Perine doesn't make the team.  Should be fun watch the preseason battle on that front.

Ah training camp begins, where hopes are high.

I'm sure there will be people predicting playoffs, maybe even challenge the Eagles for division.  Even the first part of schedule screams either 3-0 or 2-1.

Reality will settle in at some point.

I expect more of the same mediocrity.  6-8 wins seems realistic.   Alex will need to adjust playing on an inferior team, compared to the Chiefs.  We have a mediocre head coach, who's on the hot seat. He needs at least 8 wins, to get a year 6.  While the early schedule looks promising, the bulk of it is killer.  Playing the AFC South that will have 2 playoff contenders and 3, if Desean Watson bounces back from his injury.  We also playoff the NFC south, which could have 3 playoff contenders.  We have so many questions marks on this team that needs to be answered this year.

To me, that's to much to expect us to be anything other than what we have been under Gruden. Mediocre.  I do think Alex will take this team to the playoffs a couple of times; just not this year.

Enjoy the season.  Even though I expect more of the same, hopefully there's some excitement this year.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I saw that we gave Colt $7 million extension for 2019.  Seems alot for a backup.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24203881/colt-mccoy-washington-redskins-backup-quarterback-signs-contract-extension

He won't get anywhere near that figure, it's all based on appearances etc. Probably end up with a similar figure to this year $3m unless Smith is injured and McCoy has to play all of the 2019/20 season. 

HTTR 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Craig Hoffman from 106.7 would echo this -- he loves going on about how he thinks Kelley is better than Perine and wouldn't be shocked if Perine doesn't make the team.  Should be fun watch the preseason battle on that front.

From what I've heard, Kelley put in some MAJOR work this offseason.  I want to say I heard he trimmed down a bit and has been working on his feet.  I heard Hoffman saying the same thing, that he could force the Redskins brass to cut ties with Perine (a 4th rounder) because he may be that much better.  

26 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

From what I've heard, Kelley put in some MAJOR work this offseason.  I want to say I heard he trimmed down a bit and has been working on his feet.  I heard Hoffman saying the same thing, that he could force the Redskins brass to cut ties with Perine (a 3rd rounder) because he may be that much better.  

Perine was a 4th rounder.  Still, I'd still be surprised that they'd cut ties so fast with him.   Kelley last year slimmed down too.  Hoffman seems to think that Byron Marshall is a given to make the team, I wonder.  Wouldn't surptise me if both Kelley and Perine make it.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Perine was a 4th rounder.  Still, I'd still be surprised that they'd cut ties so fast with him.   Kelley last year slimmed down too.  Hoffman seems to think that Byron Marshall is a given to make the team, I wonder.  Wouldn't surptise me if both Kelley and Perine make it.

Fixed it.

You wonder where it's gonna work out though as I heard the same things about Marshall.  That would give us 5 rbs on the active and I don't know how we do that AND keep 3 TE... Up til this season, I always questioned why we don't cross-train Crowder to have the ability to fill in as Thompson 2.0 and carry an additional big back, but now with the WRs we have, I want to keep them.  IMHO, Quick might not make the team this year... 

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought they said they'd keep four, with a couple on the PS. Doesn't seem like many teams are looking for RBs

Archived