Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Was just going to post this, Skins are one of the 5 or 6 teams featured for the camp round up all day today as they switch back and forth

They are advertising that they are doing a big piece on the Skins tonight at 8 in case anyone is interested in catching it. 

Been watching NFL Network today to see some glimpses of our camp, but I couldn't help but chuckle hearing Speilmen up in Minnesota every time he'd talk about Cousins would say "KirK" with more emphasis on the K then I've ever heard. Just kind of made me laugh given all our years of "Is bruce saying Kirk or Kurt".

Thankfully there's not a lot of ways you can screw up "Alex".

I'm liking what I've seen/heard out of Doctson so far. Really hoping he has a breakout season. And loving everything about Guice so far. 

15 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Been watching NFL Network today to see some glimpses of our camp, but I couldn't help but chuckle hearing Speilmen up in Minnesota every time he'd talk about Cousins would say "KirK" with more emphasis on the K then I've ever heard. Just kind of made me laugh given all our years of "Is bruce saying Kirk or Kurt".

I'm liking what I've seen/heard out of Doctson so far. Really hoping he has a breakout season. And loving everything about Guice so far. 

Knowing Bruce, he'd probably pronounce it "Alice"

I still think Bibbs is making this team at RB, especially if he can return punts and kicks. 

Scuffles are good... even third team ones. The offense and the defense should get along begrudgingly in camp, but still create a bond in the dining room/outside of the field. But they should really not like each other during camp on the field. Competition breeds competitors. 

Our wide receiving corps still scares me, but I think it's better than last season. Richardson + Doctson should be an improved 1-2 punch, and Crowder in the slot is where he does his most damage. Don't count Maurice Harris out quite yet, either.

Payne's injury happens. Ankle sprains are a dime a dozen. They are susceptible to rein jury, though, so taking your time with it is smart. I'd be concerned if we didn't have good depth. No need to rush him back at this point.

Smith + Kerrigan are a good edge group, but they need to be better against the run. Any word on how they've been faring in that aspect?

48 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Doctson catching some grief for his rounding out and not making hard cuts, walking back to the huddle, not chasing after a recovered fumble that was his fault....It's not all peaches and cream around him right now. Some saying it's just his way, been catching well....We'll see. I was hoping for more reports of crisp routes and hustle. 

^^Funny stuff here. 

16 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

He wears an 18 pound vest? How the heck is this first time I’ve heard of this? 

That’s brilliant.

I remember all the talk the last two years about Norman during TC not being a stud, and most of us chalked it up to him just focusing on certain things we’re unaware of during practice. This puts it in a new light. 

1 hour ago, ZRagone said:

Yeah I noticed that too.  Speilmen also gave as a joke his scouting report when asked about Jay playing CB after they showed the segment of him doing so.  Vikings camp from the little I saw looks feisty. 

As for Doctson, hopefully this is his breakthrough year.  I think its doable.  He had great hands in college.   Cooley in his film review says Doctson struggles in man coverage (he said all our receivers last year struggled with man) and doesn't sell his routes well.  If so, hopefully he develops on that front this year. 

I love his hands-vertical ability and he has good speed for his size.  On draft day, he was the guy I said on the draft thread I wanted.  I am not backing off of that at least not yet. :)

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Do they refuse to say "Redskins" when talking about their hometown team, that they cover ?

Repeatedly, I kept hearing or reading "Burgundy & Gold" or "Washington", but never Redskins

Well, they did put an "@REDSKINS" hashtag in their tweet. :)

Someone is late to the party from down unda haha..welcome to camp Chad...

Meanwhile that team with the ugly ass star on the helmet had a rookie wide receiver go down..thems thin in wr department..glad to hear Alex had a good day..pin point accuracy.. I'm sure it's been asked, but so far do we see a difference in the quarterback position?

31 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

What the **** doc?..thems ain't good reports..

Meh, Desean Jackson was notorious for not giving a crap about chasing down guys after turnovers and all that.

If Doctson does chase a defender down and try to tackle him and gets himself hurt, then what? People trash him for being soft and getting himself injured stupidly.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Doctson catching some grief for his rounding out and not making hard cuts, walking back to the huddle, not chasing after a recovered fumble that was his fault....It's not all peaches and cream around him right now. Some saying it's just his way, been catching well....We'll see. I was hoping for more reports of crisp routes and hustle. 

Him rounding out his routes and not making hard cuts is something I noticed a bit from him last year. However, in the limited clips I've seen of him in minicamp and training camp, he seems to have greatly improved in that area, but obviously that is just a really small sample size. I think the rounding out and not cutting hard sometimes last season was mostly a rookie thing that a lot of super talented guys have issues with coming out of college because in college they were so dominant and such crazy athletes that they didn't really have to run precise routes...they would just use their athleticism and win anyway. But they come into the NFL and everyone is an elite athlete and very smart and detail oriented so that **** won't fly anymore. 

As far as walking back to the huddle and not chasing after a recovered fumble I'm kinda meh on that. It really isn't that much of an issue to me, especially in training camp. Ideally I'd like to see more intensity from Doc but that just doesn't seem to be his personality. But he does seem to genuinely love football so as long as he gets it done when it counts that's all I care about.

13 hours ago, carex said:

is that really accurate? Everett is the only vet backup, the Skins really liked Fish Smithson last cap, Quinton Blanding has a lot of upside, and Adonis Alexander is supposed to convert to safety

So the Skins have potential at Safety.  Apke could play well, but if someone else plays great he could still not make it

A 4th round pick is a reasonably significant investment by the team. Your right that my comment was a bit flippant but someone would have to CLEARLY beat him out to take that roster spot.

Archived