Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cooley is almost always out on vacation most the entire month of July.  Kevin has been handling in his absence.  Now with Cooley returning today, Kevin was out on vaca.  He did allude to the fact that with the radio station transferring ownership, they aren't exactly guaranteed to remain a show together on the station.  He said he's about 80% certain they will but nothing is guaranteed at this time.

Yep, it sounds like everyone might be in wait-and-see mode until there's some news. Today's show was bizarre...it was Cooley and Greg Huff (normally the producer) just kind of shooting the ****. They were discussing data plans for an entire segment! Certainly, without Sheehan some of the professionalism goes away, but man this was brutal. 

I feel like the combination of the show's future being in limbo, Kevin being out, and Cooley just back from a few weeks off made for a really bad production. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yep, it sounds like everyone might be in wait-and-see mode until there's some news. Today's show was bizarre...it was Cooley and Greg Huff (normally the producer) just kind of shooting the ****. They were discussing data plans for an entire segment! Certainly, without Sheehan some of the professionalism goes away, but man this was brutal. 

I feel like the combination of the show's future being in limbo, Kevin being out, and Cooley just back from a few weeks off made for a really bad production. 

I am an avid listener and Sheehan has been doing the show for what seems like six weeks or so without Cooley. I didn't know about the station ownership change causing any issues, as I've felt Cooley is just taking an extended vacay just because he can without fear of losing his job there. If the station is having issues about the program then that changes everything. Hopefully, the show stays as is, I firmly believe Cooley's film breakdowns are the most informative analysis I can get when it comes to the Redskins and pro football as a whole.

2 minutes ago, Bantu said:

I am an avid listener and Sheehan has been doing the show for what seems like six weeks or so without Cooley. I didn't know about the station ownership change causing any issues, as I've felt Cooley is just taking an extended vacay just because he can without fear of losing his job there. If the station is having issues about the program then that changes everything. Hopefully, the show stays as is, I firmly believe Cooley's film breakdowns are the most informative analysis I can get when it comes to the Redskins and pro football as a whole.

I'm not saying he went on sabbatical because of the uncertainty...he may do it every year since he can't really take weeks off during the season. But, I know that none of the programming is decided upon yet, so I can't imagine the potential for change isn't on their mind a little. 

I think Cooley does fine, but have always loved Sheehan and Galdi the most. I hope whatever the new format looks like, they are featured. 

1 hour ago, Bantu said:

, I firmly believe Cooley's film breakdowns are the most informative analysis I can get when it comes to the Redskins and pro football as a whole.

I would pay for a podcast of his film breakdowns and analysis if I had to. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way either 

Effort or not, Doctson looks to me like a one-trick-pony. Jump ball guy. Nice complimentary piece when you already have a strong possession receiver (Garcon) and a burner on the outside (Jackson). But as one of the guys you count on to move the chains on 3rd and 8? I don't see it. And I haven't seen anything yet to make me think otherwise. I'll run around the block naked if he ever has a season with 70 catches.

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sheehan and Cooley make a good duo but Cooley's lack of knowledge in other sports is painful to listen to, and its worse when they're both discussing something they're ignorant in, like baseball.

I could totally believe that, he almost totally checks out during hockey and baseball. Thing is so do I, so I guess it doesn't bother me. I can totally understand it being annoying. 

1 minute ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Effort, or not, Doctson looks to me like a one-trick-pony. Jump ball guy. Nice complimentary piece when you already have a strong possession receiver (Garcon) and a burner on the outside (Jackson). But as one of the guys you count on to move the chains on 3rd and 8? I don't see it. And I haven't seen anything yet to make me think otherwise. I'll run around the block naked if he ever has a season with 70 catches.

I hate to agree with you but my gut tells me this as well.  Does he flash the ability to be a monster from time to time?  Absolutely.  But nothing I saw out of him led me to believe that’s something we’ll see consistently.  I hear folks talking about him being open and not thrown to.  Well, you could say the same for pretty much every other receiver in the league. 

Obviously, I’d love to be wrong.  

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One name I havn't heard mentioned at all is McPhee

I was wondering the same thing.  I thought he was nice under the radar pick up who could play a big role for us.

20 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Effort or not, Doctson looks to me like a one-trick-pony. Jump ball guy. Nice complimentary piece when you already have a strong possession receiver (Garcon) and a burner on the outside (Jackson). But as one of the guys you count on to move the chains on 3rd and 8? I don't see it. And I haven't seen anything yet to make me think otherwise. I'll run around the block naked if he ever has a season with 70 catches.

This may or may not be accurate, but if Reed is healthy, we should be fine on third down. It’s going to be hard to cover Reed, Crowder and Thompson on 3rd down. 

I want to see Doctson regularly make some big plays and also rack up TD’s. 

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

Doctson seems like the type of guy who no matter what year in his career he’s at, we’ll always be talking about his “potential”.

In many ways, Docston reminds me of Westbrook. Westbrook showed flashes on the field but other times looked pretty meh. He was injured all the time and only had 1 season that even came close to justifying his draft status.

45 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

In many ways, Docston reminds me of Westbrook. Westbrook showed flashes on the field but other times looked pretty meh. He was injured all the time and only had 1 season that even came close to justifying his draft status.

The funniest thing about Doctson is how much McCloughan focused on and how often he expressed how deeply he cared about passion. Doctson may work out, but he doesn't seem like a high motor guy who lives, breathes, and loves football with all his heart.

Him and Su'a were McCloughan's big gets. Neither seem to have that drive. That said, I've seen people in a whole lot of fields who are really successful who to the rest of the world don't seem to love their job. They just happen to be very good at it and take it very seriously.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The funniest thing about Doctson is how much McCloughan focused and expressed how deeply cared about passion. Doctson may work out, but he doesn't seem like a high motor guy who live, breathes, and loves football with all his heart.

Him and Su'a were McCloughan's big gets. Neither seem to that drive. That said, I've seen people in a whole lot of fields who are really successful who to the rest of the world don't seem to love their job. They just happen to be very good at it and take it very seriously.

Yep and there are fireballs that come out fast and fade quick. Calvin Muhammad really looked like he'd replace Charlie Brown at first. More recently, Roddy White looked like a bust for his first two years.

6 hours ago, Morneblade said:

This is the part I don't agree with. I see more reasons to expect disappointment. I mean, the reports so far are:

1. not motivated

2. bad route running

That's not going to get it done. I mean, lets look at his history.

1. Year 1 - derailed by an Achilles injury that, has never been really diagnosed. What was actually going on?

2. Year 2 - Modest year. Showed some flashes, but also completely disappeared quite a bit. Didn't show the ability to separate.

3. Year 3 - Reports from TC indicate that he doesn't seem to be really interested in getting better. Not working hard on his craft.

So, I'm not really seeing a bunch of reasons to think he's going to be good, much less great. I mean, Laquan Treadwell is busting pretty bad too, so it might just be a really thin WR class.

Do you have links to all these reports talking about him being uninterested, not working hard, and running bad routes? Not calling you a liar, I just haven't seen them. Most of the ones I've seen are about how he's impressing. 

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Do you have links to all these reports talking about him being uninterested, not working hard, and running bad routes? Not calling you a liar, I just haven't seen them. Most of the ones I've seen are about how he's impressing. 

yep, the only negative I heard was the time he fumbled and didn't play defense

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Sure, I had them in a previous post, but I can put them up again.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/7/29/17627480/redskins-training-camp-offensive-breakdowns-who-stood-out-and-who-needs-to-improve

" Who disappointed? Most notably, Josh Doctson. His nonchalance HAS to get on the coaches’ nerves and he drew more than one passive-aggressive ‘it’s the little things’ comment from a coach. It may just be his personality, but his effort appeared to be significantly lacking in comparison to his teammates. For a player in his position, with such an important year on the horizon, you’d hope he’d show some fire. Even when DJ Swearinger forced, and then scooped, a Doctson fumble in an 11-on-11 session, the receiver didn’t even pretend to chase/atone for his mistake. Slow walks back to the sideline after drops and weak effort in and out of his routes were all too apparent for most of the weekend. Again, it’s possible Doctson is a Marvin Harrison type; a guy that can show very little passion and produce on the field. Time will tell."

Mourneblade -

That was posted by a random team fan. ^ From all accounts, it sadly sounds like a fan that just doesn't like Doctson and is feeding his own agenda. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2018-washington-redskins-53-man-roster-prediction-10

Tandler thinks Perine is out the 53. WTH?? Can't pull the plug on this kid after one year. A lot of great RB's have had troubles in their first couple of seasons.. I thought he ran hard and went through some growing pains, not to mention our line problems..

7 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Mourneblade -

That was posted by a random team fan. ^ From all accounts, it sadly sounds like a fan that just doesn't like Doctson and is feeding his own agenda. 

I've seen those as well, although I did not see them until after the hogshaven  report. Most of it didn't seem to focus on a large body of work, seems like just a couple of "wow" moments are really mentioned. Those are nice, but he did that some last year. He's got to be consistent. He was far from that last year.

Just because you don't agree doesn't make it someone "feeding their own agenda". Because that's a good way to loose your own credibility.

No "u" in Morneblade. :)

47 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2018-washington-redskins-53-man-roster-prediction-10

Tandler thinks Perine is out the 53. WTH?? Can't pull the plug on this kid after one year. A lot of great RB's have had troubles in their first couple of seasons.. I thought he ran hard and went through some growing pains, not to mention our line problems..

the problem isn't that Perine is bad, it's that others are doing better. 

Looking at the list, my surprises are Quick over Davis, I've heard much more about Davis so far, and on the offensive line that Catalina is still one of the main backups.

what I'd really love is if some of these guys show enough the Skins could pull of a trade with them

Archived