Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin.com: Virginia Man Calls Cops After "Hard Screen" In Pickup Basketball

Destino

28 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's just trying to get himself drafted onto the Predictos so he can get in on that gatorade cooler full of Zima.

Gently toasting fancy perfectly aged wine from Napa valley or some **** after the W, instead of spraying regular champagne like real men.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Who in here can dunk?

I can only get the rim now. When i was 18ish i could get the ball over the rim but it was more of a lay in, not a real dunk. just couldn't get high enough.

I can't play pickup anymore because i've lost too much coordination. I look like an idiot with a basketball now... just way too out of practice. It's been damn near 15 years since i played any competitive basketball :(

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gently toasting fancy perfectly aged wine from Napa valley or some **** after the W, instead of spraying regular champagne like real men.

Do you want to be on the team or not?  There's nothing wrong with honoring victory with a good Napa Cab.  Although I must say that, after the exertion of an athletic endeavor, I find that I prefer the chill refreshment of an Alsacian White.  Like I always say, you'd be hard pressed to find a truer evocation of the terroir of the Rhine than the plucky Rieslings born from its womb.  I intend to raise the matter of changing our toasting wine as a motion at the next team meeting, and I could use a second.

20 hours ago, JCB said:

I was a soccer guy growing up. Whenever I played basketball, I could run forever but had zero skills. Like zero.

That's where I started too.  I was playing soccer in preschool.  When I started playing basketball with neighborhood kids I could run forever but I couldn't really do anything with the ball.  Basketball requires a lot of skills to learn just to really be able to play it at all... unless you're a giant. 

semi related, where do the sports rank in conditioning (cardio)?  You noted that you felt like you could run forever, as did I, so I'd put soccer well above basketball.  Baseball has to be last right?  Wrestlers and boxers are the top of the mountain, their workouts are absolutely brutal. 

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I hope I never see a screenshot of those No votes again.   Can we at least pretend to have fun in this thread for a change?

Who in here can dunk?  I'm 6'2, so I think if I keep working out, get from 230s down to 210s, I might be able to pull it off.  I don't know what my wingspan is, I'm not a bird, but my reach works, so it's good enough.

When I was 25YO, I was a 6’1” 210lb stud that could fully palm a ball Worthy-style and had enough hops to hang on a rim but not dunk.

Also, I had wild Thrash Metal hair way past my shoulders and rocked Rec-Specs with a soft jumper.

Frankly, I was magnificent.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

When I was 14 I could double clutch reverse off two feet but I haven't been able to 360 tomahawk it since I was 8.

I was 6'5 215 then but now I'm 5'7 260.

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Jesus, everyone in here is over 6 feet and can touch rim.  Never has a disproportionate group of the population collected at one place.

STAY OUT OF THE LANE.

I'm over 6-5, but got small hands (and a small wing span- only 6-4 (whoever said knowing your wing span is must is right)).  I've never been able to palm a basketball well where I could hold it while going up.

When I was young, I could cuff a ball and dunk (and do a girls ball easily because I could palm it).

Today, I can still get a hand over the rim, but I can't get up enough that I can dunk, while cuffing the ball.  I've not tried with a girls ball since who knows when, but I suspect I could still dunk one.

(And I'm insulted that my competition for 2nd leading scorer is LKB.  I know I'm taller than him, and I suspect he and Predicto are the only people that post regularly in the NBA thread that are actually older than me.

@stevemcqueen1

My competition is somebody that is almost certainly shorter than me and older?  That's crazy.)

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you want to be on the team or not?  There's nothing wrong with honoring victory with a good Napa Cab.  Although I must say that, after the exertion of an athletic endeavor, I find that I prefer the chill refreshment of an Alsacian White.  Like I always say, you'd be hard pressed to find a truer evocation of the terroir of the Rhine than the plucky Rieslings born from its womb.  I intend to raise the matter of changing our toasting wine as a motion at the next team meeting, and I could use a second.

Now I want some of whatever the hell you just said

31 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Now I want some of whatever the hell you just said

It's hard to beat that Predicto life.  Gregg Popovich pioneered the understanding of the relationship between fine wine and winning, and we added 10 wins last season after Predicto hired a sommelier to the staff.  That's why we're known as the Spurs of the Sterling Virginia LA Fitness basketball scene.

5 hours ago, Destino said:

semi related, where do the sports rank in conditioning (cardio)?  You noted that you felt like you could run forever, as did I, so I'd put soccer well above basketball.  Baseball has to be last right?  Wrestlers and boxers are the top of the mountain, their workouts are absolutely brutal. 

Wrestling, cross country (you just never stop....), soccer, hockey*, football, basketball, baseball

*the only sport I didn’t play competitively growing up, guessing it fits there 

You ever watched a baseball practice?

Its the only thing slower than a baseball game. 

I played baseball...it's nice to be able to sprint quickly but I'd say speed it definitely not a necessity as long as you're strong and coordinated.  That didn't stop the coach from running our asses off though, for some reason.

Archived