Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin.com: Virginia Man Calls Cops After "Hard Screen" In Pickup Basketball

Destino

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Basketball cardio>soccer

you have to be engaged on every possession in basketball which isn’t true in soccer from my experience.

Saying that, it depends on the position. A fullback in soccer is going to be more active than a centerback or striker. 

I disagree with this.  Even if you just look at fairly standard conditioning work the difference is evident.  While there are certainly games where less actions finds certain positions on a soccer field, there are others where the opposite is true.  The average distance covered in soccer is enormous compared to basketball.

This doesn't mean that soccer players are in better shape though.  Basketball may require less cardio overall, but it requires more overall strength.  Just looking at the players at the top level makes it clear that they're built (on average) for different athletic demands. Soccer pros run around 7 miles a game, but 40% of their teams aren't made up of PF/C sized giants. 

I still think boxing and wrestling, probably MMA too now, has higher cardio requirements though.  Their workouts to get into fight shape looks like their daring their hearts to explode.  Remember a while back when the UFC lunatics were running with snorkels on?  lol 

7 hours ago, Springfield said:

Jesus, everyone in here is over 6 feet and can touch rim.  Never has a disproportionate group of the population collected at one place.

Wait, are we talking about now?

maybe with a trampoline and some good drugs....a lift would be better

I would call myself a shot creator that plays hard defense. The off the dribble shot nobody expects is extremely hard to defend. Offensively like a melo but with Steph curry release. Side to side agility leaves some room for improvement against shiftier people but am smart with a pension to have rip the cookie defense or stop the ball. Very aggressive on defense in the post. Solid top 10 pick given my age. 31. Not a transcendent player but you get an efficent and consistent player, unless im in a funk. 5'6 150. Requires intermittent hydration drinks. Can run the offense but i play better off ball as im contiously moving. Sets off ball screens and finds open lanes. Who picking me? 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I disagree with this.  Even if you just look at fairly standard conditioning work the difference is evident.  While there are certainly games where less actions finds certain positions on a soccer field, there are others where the opposite is true.  The average distance covered in soccer is enormous compared to basketball.

This doesn't mean that soccer players are in better shape though.  Basketball may require less cardio overall, but it requires more overall strength.  Just looking at the players at the top level makes it clear that they're built (on average) for different athletic demands. Soccer pros run around 7 miles a game, but 40% of their teams aren't made up of PF/C sized giants. 

I still think boxing and wrestling, probably MMA too now, has higher cardio requirements though.  Their workouts to get into fight shape looks like their daring their hearts to explode.  Remember a while back when the UFC lunatics were running with snorkels on?  lol 

Soccer players cover more distance than basketball players because there is more field, but it’s not high-intensity sprints.

I don’t think NBA players would get tired during a 90-minute game but superstar level soccer players would during an NBA game. 

Top-level soccer matches are way more static than an NBA game.

Agree about boxing and MMA. They would be the top.

Had reputation of playing defense hard enough you couldn't show off in front of the girls.  J was too inconsistent, so that's why I stopped playing.  The pass distributor thing only gets you so far once they realize you can't get the ball in the hoop consistently yourself, well. I think too much like football and not wanting people to score, played a lil in high school (took break from smoking cigarettes that season).

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Soccer players cover more distance than basketball players because there is more field, but it’s not high-intensity sprints.

I don’t think NBA players would get tired during a 90-minute game but superstar level soccer players would during an NBA game. 

Then USNT should rent other players from other sports.  This wouldve been perfect timing for LeBron to be out it there.  And before you say anything about unnecessary risk, allowed to play international competition, is it marketing to restrict a player to one sport?

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Basketball players also have to jump a lot more.  But I give soccer players credit for having to go against the strongest athletes in the world, capable of sending them sprawling with the merest touch.  Truly those warriors have to play through some pain.

Soccer players are the worst floppers in the world, no question about it, but tell me who owns the second spot on the list?  Flopping is built into basketball.  If you don't believe me, try to get a charge call without falling down.  Just look at those monster centers go flying with arms flailing when they feel a guards palm make contact with their back while waiting for a rebound.  That's just the stuff player feel they have to do during a normal game.  On top of that is the pretend pain from phantom hits.  Lebron has been killed at least 15 times on a basketball court, only to rise from the dead and play on like nothing happened.   

While we're on the subject of pain, both basketball and soccer players are wildly over dramatic about injuries of any kind.  The reactions from some of these guys from twisting an ankle is wild.  Yes it hurts, but a lot of them act like a shark bit off their leg.  Meanwhile hockey players are the polar opposite.  They could get shot by a sniper and no one would be surprised if they skated around a bit while they deciding if it's something they can play through. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think basketball is tougher for the HIIT aspect. It's running hard, stopping, jumping, pushing, sliding. That's more demanding than jogging 90% of the time and then sprinting every now and then. 

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do either...

Jogging with an occasional sprint?  Soccer is far more physical than you're giving it credit.  I would agree that it's not as physical as basketball, not even close, but it's not track and field either. 

Agreed, Destino. I played (mostly) right fullback and stuff could get rough sometimes. I once had an entire team waiting to confront me in the parking lot after a game. They were pissed at me for (in their mind) excessive slide-tackling. I went full Jordan on them: "Did they call foul?" No fisticuffs were exchanged. Still proud of that one!

28 minutes ago, Destino said:

Jogging with an occasional sprint?  Soccer is far more physical than you're giving it credit.  I would agree that it's not as physical as basketball, not even close, but it's not track and field either. 

OK, maybe I didn't describe it perfectly but seems we agree on the physicality compared to basketball. 

21 minutes ago, JCB said:

Agreed, Destino. I played (mostly) right fullback and stuff could get rough sometimes. I once had an entire team waiting to confront me in the parking lot after a game. They were pissed at me for (in their mind) excessive slide-tackling. I went full Jordan on them: "Did they call foul?" No fisticuffs were exchanged. Still proud of that one!

Going from a sprint to a grassy dive a dozen times per game and running through shoulder contact and arm fighting gets exhausting pretty quick.  Playing in the heat of a DC summer isn't as nice as an air conditioned gym either.  

I got much more frequently injured playing soccer too, which is why I eventually stopped playing.  It's been nice being able to wear sandals again too.     

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Soccer players are the worst floppers in the world, no question about it, but tell me who owns the second spot on the list?  Flopping is built into basketball.  If you don't believe me, try to get a charge call without falling down.  Just look at those monster centers go flying with arms flailing when they feel a guards palm make contact with their back while waiting for a rebound.  That's just the stuff player feel they have to do during a normal game.  On top of that is the pretend pain from phantom hits.  Lebron has been killed at least 15 times on a basketball court, only to rise from the dead and play on like nothing happened.

What's interesting about this...baseball got ragged on earlier, and I'll admit as a former player for 16 years, it doesn't have the same running requirements as soccer, basketball, etc.  But the flopping thing in those sports...contrast with baseball where there's an unwritten eye for an eye code, and you can get drilled in the ribs by a 90 mph fastball, but God help you if you so much as complain or rub the spot where it hit, your own teammates will rag on you worse than your opponents.

I'd still say from a pure conditioning/manliness standpoint, wrestling pretty much laps the field.

16 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think quite a few NBA players would absolutely fall apart near the end of 90 minute soccer match.  Particularly the big men.   Its much harder to move a big body than a smaller one.   Which is why Shaq would tire out so quickly.

6 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

And there's the matter of the size of the playing surface. Could you imagine a typical center playing soccer in any position other than goal? They just could cope with the aerobic demands?

I've said this before, maybe I'm wrong, but if our country as a whole focused all of our energy and resources into soccer, I think we'd rarely ever lose.  Between a combination of our population and the resources we have available.  But, it's a pretty low priority and most of our best athletes funnel into sports like football, basketball, baseball, etc.

I'm guessing that as concussion issues become much more of a thing over the next few decades, football will fade and basketball, baseball, and soccer will benefit, and we'll see what happens then.

People are talking about LeBron.  Take a guy with his athletic skills, his coordination, his height and wingspan.  He's trained to become a goalie from the age of 6-7?  Scoring on him would be nearly impossible except from one of those curving set pieces.

My best example for this is someone like Allen Iverson.  He was fast as a deer, he was all state in three sports, including baseball, so you know his coordination was off the charts.  And at 6'0", he'd still have been taller than most international players except the English and Dutch.  Say hello to our new striker, trained since he was a kid.

The talent is there, we excel in a variety of things, as we see every Olympics.  We just have to care enough as a country to decide we're going to be major players.

23 minutes ago, Forehead said:

My best example for this is someone like Allen Iverson.  He was fast as a deer, he was all state in three sports, including baseball, so you know his coordination was off the charts.  And at 6'0", he'd still have been taller than most international players except the English and Dutch.  Say hello to our new striker, trained since he was a kid.

"Trained" sounds a lot like practice though....

tenor.gif?itemid=5134474

8 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I'd still say from a pure conditioning/manliness standpoint, wrestling pretty much laps the field.

Former high school wrestler here.  (I wasn't that good though : -)  A wrestling match is probably the toughest 6 minutes in sports.   But it was a different thing than say distance runners and soccer guys did.   It was more "stamina" and less endurance.  Personally, I didn't have a whole lot of endurance so was terrible distance runner.  Of course I wrestled at heavyweight :-)  I remember there we actually did have a few cross country guys on our team, mostly in the lighter weights, but no soccer players as far as I remember. 

This guy:

image.jpeg.1aba5c9c67308a9913861e00b8d10578.jpeg

could not play a pretty important role on a championship level team (at any position) in any higher soccer league.

Somebody like Westbrook might have an easier time transitioning to soccer then most soccer players to basketball, but there is no doubt it is easier to be a good team with a good, but out of shape player in basketball than soccer.

(I haven't heard anybody mention swimmers.  Those people are in crazy good shape.)

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

"Trained" sounds a lot like practice though....

Well yeah, but that aside...find me a team of Allen Iverson, John Wall types who have been playing soccer since they could walk and I'll show you a threat to win every World Cup.  Maybe one bigger Lebron type for goalie.  As small as they might be by basketball standards, these guys are still really tall by soccer standards, they're fast as lightning, they're coordinated, I'd wager stronger than most international soccer players.

This makes me yearn for a massive urban soccer development program in this country. :)

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think quite a few NBA players would absolutely fall apart near the end of 90 minute soccer match.  Particularly the big men.   Its much harder to move a big body than a smaller one.   Which is why Shaq would tire out so quickly.

I agree with some big guys, but that position is evolving to go away from behemoths and stiffs.

I don't think LeBron James would tire out playing soccer like Messi would playing basketball.

I also think Messi is probably a better basketball player than LeBron is a soccer player.

Archived