Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

On 6/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, No Excuses said:

Why fund public schools when you can just let them fail, replace them with religious charter schools and voucher programs? 

The Supreme Court just remade the entire education infrastructure of large portions of the country. 

but activist judges only exist on the left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

but activist judges only exist on the left. 

Not only that, but today's rulings basically mean that not only can ultra-conservative states go ahead with religious charter schools funded by the public, these schools also do not have to comply with federal civil rights guidelines.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Not only that, but today's rulings basically mean that not only can ultra-conservative states go ahead with religious charter schools funded by the public, these schools also do not have to comply with federal civil rights guidelines.

Well, it’s not like that was primary reason those types of schools got so popular during the 50s or anything.

The sad thing about this is was Kagan/Breyer. You can always count on liberals to play by the rules while the fascists do whatever they want, with impunity. Yeah, this country is schtupped.

Edited by The Sisko

Looks like tomorrow will be another big day for SCOTUS :

On Thursday, the court is expected to wrap up its term with opinions in widely watched cases concerning access to President Donald Trump's financial records.

Trump's financial documents

For over three hours in early May over the telephone, the court delved into two momentous cases that will determine whether the House of Representatives and a New York prosecutor can subpoena Trump's accounting firm and banks for his financial documents.

The justices focused on Trump's effort to shield his documents but they also prodded the lawyers to look into the future and gauge how an eventual decision will impact the separation of powers and the White House's broad claims of immunity.

Trump's attorneys argued that the House subpoenas were "unprecedented in every sense" and asked for "temporary presidential immunity" against the subpoena from a New York prosecutor for the President's tax records.

The release of any Trump financial documents before the election could be another bombshell for the President in an already dramatic year.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics/supreme-court-july-opinions-five-cases/index.html

Supreme Court says Manhattan district attorney can get Trump tax records  

>>

The Supreme Court on Thursday voted 7-2 against President Donald Trump in a case over whether he could shield his tax records from the Manhattan district attorney.

The New York case stemmed from an investigation being pursued by Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. Vance issued a subpoena to Trump’s longtime accounting firm, Mazars, for a wide variety of Trump’s personal and business records, including tax returns, dating back to 2011. <<

I like that it's 7-2. That means that a large majority of the Justices **** slapped Trump's "I have total immunity for anything and everything" argument. I wonder how they'll rule on the House getting access as well. This decision at least sets the precedent that Trump can't simply claim blanket immunity and leave it at that.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skintime said:

So they have made sure that this will not be an election issue. **** got what he wanted.

If the decision to fight the release of his promised tax returns tooth and nails didn't change their minds, I doubt anything in the returns itself will change it either.  Anyone who could've been swayed by this probably have left Trump's camp long time ago

7 hours ago, visionary said:

Trump must be in super ****-his-pants mode right now.

Why?  

I'm pretty sure that his tax returns will not include hundreds of thousands of dead Americans.  And that hasn't hurt him.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Why?  

I'm pretty sure that his tax returns will not include hundreds of thousands of dead Americans.  And that hasn't hurt him.  

I think it has to do with where he made his money. Yeah, the base doesnt give a ****. But if income/deductions are from eastern European countries people on the fence will not support him. He will have to defend his non-US income in the face of MAGA. 

Public service announcement: **** him 

I’m going to bet that this ends with the trump supporters telling us it doesn’t matter how much money trump doesn’t have

we’ll probably get arguments that go along the lines of: the irs doesn’t understand wealth

were going to watch the group of people that based the entire idea that he’s a successful person in how much money he supposedly had, tell us it doesn’t matter he doesn’t actually have any money 

• Like 2

I don't think it's about whether he doesnt have money or how much he's worth. It's about who paid him & where it came from.  Or maybe that's just me. I dont give a **** what he's worth....where did the money, loans & deductions come from?

• Like 5