Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

1 hour ago, visionary said:
Some interesting details in here.  I suggest at least skimming this article. 

Seems to be a pretty run of the mill conservative that’ll strike down roe v wade and expand second amendment protections. Fairly polar opposite of those woman she’s replacing.

Also, watch republicans fold up like lawn chairs.

Edited by Springfield

She's also being chosen to offer a ruling to end American Democracy. Trump has already called the election rigged, said the results will be invalid, said he wants to throw out the ballots, and have the court decide on who should be President.

I really hope America isn't dead.

From everything I have read, there is little the Dems can do to stop this without support of enough GOP members, which seems unlikely.  I suppose the best thing to do now is to just approach the nomination process more as an information gathering tool for the public.  Frame it as "This is who Donald Trump wants making decisions for the next 30-40 years on the court" and hope it motivates and last stragglers who might have previously decided to not vote at all or still insist that both parties are the same.

The more immediate worry for me is how a 6-3 court rules if Trump tries to challenge election results, especially with little to no actual evidence. 

I haven't ready up a whole lot on ACB, is it true she only has 3 years of experience as a Judge, or was I reading it wrong and she only has 3 years experience as a specific judge?

I think for Supreme Court nominees in general, it is good practice to have a healthy list of their rulings at whatever level they served before.  Anyone can say the right things at a confirmation hearing, but their arguments and rulings on the bench speak louder than their answers at the hearings.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I haven't ready up a whole lot on ACB, is it true she only has 3 years of experience as a Judge, or was I reading it wrong and she only has 3 years experience as a specific judge?

True.

Her career is mainly in Academia as a law professor besides being a private lawyer.

48 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So wait three years? Total? She’s been a judge, in any capacity, 3 years?

This is really out of my wheelhouse but that doesn't seem that out of the norm doing some quick research. Elena Kegan actually had 0 experience being a judge before being nominated. Looks like Clarence Thomas also was only an actual judge for a couple years too before his nomination. 

There's really gotta be some kind of basic requirements to be a Supreme Court Justice. As it is.... Trump could nominate you or me and all we'd need is a Senate majority to become a Justice for life. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So wait three years? Total? She’s been a judge, in any capacity, 3 years?

There's not requirement that a Supreme Court Justice be a judge, or even have a law degree for that matter.  There have been several Supreme Court Justices that were never judges before serving:  John Marshall, William Rehnquist, Lewis Powell Jr., Abe Fortas, Earl Warren, William Douglas, Felix Frankfurter, Louis Brandeis and Elena Kagan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3