Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Holtby and Lundqvist are the tenders. Who else in the Metro are you taking over Holtby? Nobody in Philly, Jersey, Carolina, Pittsburgh, or Columbus that has played enough is demonstrably better.

Lundqvist sucks too. One of the Islander goalies should have made it before Lundqvist. Pittsburgh goalie has been better too. Holtby and Lundqvist made it on name recognition if they base all-star picks on regular season stats

Starting next year the NHL should switch to the NBA model where Captains pick their teams among the league wide all-stars. Televise it. Be cool to see McDavid skate with Ovechkin.

2 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Hasn't the NHL already done the captains model?

They did for a few years when it was a regular game. Those 5 on 5 games had become terrible but the captains pick was good. They need it again for the 3 on 3. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/04/can-alex-ovechkin-catch-wayne-gretzky-if-anyone-can-hes-only-one-brett-hull-says/?utm_term=.e913d2d535de

Can Alex Ovechkin catch Wayne Gretzky? ‘If anyone can, he’s the only one,’ Brett Hull says.

ST. LOUIS — Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin had his tongue out and his right leg in the air as he unfurled a wrist shot that fluttered its way into the net, carving out another slice of history for himself with that 30th goal of the season. Way above Ovechkin in the Enterprise Center, Hall-of-Fame winger Brett Hull was standing in the press box minutes later, marveling at the player who’s already joined him as one of the greatest the NHL has ever seen.

“Everyone thinks he’s always over here on his off side; well, he just scored over there from the right wing,” Hull said. “He got it, corralled it and fired it. There aren’t a lot of guys who have that ability.”

“All it depends on does he stay healthy, does he want to continue to play that long?” Hull said. “That’s an awful lot of goals. I remember when I hit 700 and I was like, ‘I’m still almost 200 away? I mean, it seems like you’re close but you’re really not. If anyone can, he’s the only one.”

Oh well. Copley and Orlov had outstanding games. 

Backstrom and Ovechkin should not be paired up during 3 on 3. It’s a speed game at that point and Backy doesn’t have the speed to compensate for Ovechkin not playing D

We're due for a bit of a lull.  You hope that it's just that and any oddities we have come now and around the All Star Break.  The schedule has been terrible... The stretch after the break could be big for us.  6 games in 11 days, all at home finishing with the Kings on the 11th, then the next night @ Columbus. 

I kind of hope Holtby would skip the All Star Game, as someone pointed out he really started struggling after he played in it last year.  It's not a normal game format with the wide open 3 on 3 style play... Goals are going to happen, and I can see how it could mess with your head.  

Archived