Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I remember talking w/ folks on here about what Tom Wilson's ceiling was.  We threw around the names Lucic and Wayne Simmonds.  However, dude isn't even scratching the surface of his potential.  This is scary.  His contract is a bargain....this is why.  He can play in ALL situations, he drives possession, and he's a guy you 10000000% have to account for when he's on the ice at ALL TIMES.  I said it before, but he's going to be the next captain of this team when Ovechkin eventually decides to retire from the NHL (I say NHL, because I can see him playing in the KHL for a few seasons.) 

We might be getting a little carried away about Wilson. He’s great for the Caps and definitely influences games his own way. He won’t ever be a top-10 player in the league. 

I’m not sure he will be a captain cause it may not fit his role. Kuzy will be a Captain first. 

48 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I don't think Ovechkin would insult his talent and go out playing meaningless KHL seasons.

You're kidding, right?  I don't think you understand how much pride he has in being a Russian.  Same deal for Datsyuk.  There is allure in playing out your final seasons as a pro in your home country.  Less of a grind and the benefits would be insane, 

31 minutes ago, Hersh said:

We might be getting a little carried away about Wilson. He’s great for the Caps and definitely influences games his own way. He won’t ever be a top-10 player in the league. 

I’m not sure he will be a captain cause it may not fit his role. Kuzy will be a Captain first. 

Kuznetsov?  How do you figure?  When I think leadership, he's not a guy that comes to mind at all. 

Whenever Ovechkin retires and gives up the “C” from his sweater, find someone among the Capitals who thinks Wilson won’t be the obvious next choice. It’ll be tough.

Link

Even when Trotz was here, he was nothing but complimentary about Wilson growing into the role as a leader on the team.  Other players have said the same.  I'm tellin' you...the sentiment is there.  I'm fairly certain he'll be the next captain of the team. 

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

You're kidding, right?  I don't think you understand how much pride he has in being a Russian.  Same deal for Datsyuk.  There is allure in playing out your final seasons as a pro in your home country.  Less of a grind and the benefits would be insane, 

I know he does, that's why losing in the Olympics every 4 years is so brutal. But I don't think he'd sacrifice time in the NHL with gas left in the tank. He'll definitely play as many Olympics as possible.

If the NHL continues to disallow its players from playing in the Olympics, then I think Ovie will sign with the KHL once his contract ends, which I believe it does right before the next Winter Olympics.

But if hes within striking distance of the all time goals record, I could see him staying.

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I know he does, that's why losing in the Olympics every 4 years is so brutal. But I don't think he'd sacrifice time in the NHL with gas left in the tank. He'll definitely play as many Olympics as possible.

He wont be sacrificing time in the league when his contract is up...plus i think he’d want his son to grow up in Moscow. 

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Kuznetsov?  How do you figure?  When I think leadership, he's not a guy that comes to mind at all. 

Link

Even when Trotz was here, he was nothing but complimentary about Wilson growing into the role as a leader on the team.  Other players have said the same.  I'm tellin' you...the sentiment is there.  I'm fairly certain he'll be the next captain of the team. 

Often times Captains are the best player on the team or one of the best players on the team, hence Kuzy. (I have no idea how any of these guys are in the locker room since we have no real access) I think a big part of it with Wilson is if he stays on the ice. Can't be having more suspensions. Also I would think they will have to look at Carlson when Orpik goes. I have no idea what kind of leader he is, but talking seniority and skill. 

Honestly, I don't think it's relevant for 5-7 years at least. Backstrom becomes captain if Ovechkins leaves and Backstrom is still here. 

Archived