Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Hes gotta put up 50+ goals for like 5 more seasons at least.  That’s a lot.

For sure. If he decides to play until through age 40, that’s another 7 seasons after this one. If he’s within 230 after this season, that’s reasonable. 

3 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Even w/o surpassing Gretzky's mark, he's the best goal scorer in the history of the league. 

Agree. As good as he was, #99 almost never had to take a hard hit or (God forbid) a check on the boards. Ovi takes all comers, and knows how to properly reciprocate. 👊

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Agree. As good as he was, #99 almost never had to take a hard hit or (God forbid) a check on the boards. Ovi takes all comers, and knows how to properly reciprocate. 👊

It’s so tough to compare players in different eras. Too many differences. Ovechkin, if not the greatest goal scorer when it all over, will be in the conversation with other all-time greats. 

I dont think anyone thinks of Gretzky as the greatest goal scorer ever, its just part of his greatness as the greatest player ever.  And its also not fair to compare anyone to Gretzky, even other player from that era didnt approach the numbers he put up, hes just the Great One, noone saw the ice like he did.  There werent exactly a bunch of 90 goal scorers in the 80s.  Or even 80 goal scorers.   Or 70 goal scorers for that matter. 

But if you ask me best goal scorer ever, I think Mike G, Esposito, Brett Hull, etc., not really Gretzky.  And so from that prespective, its definitely within reach,  Ovi belongs in the same breath, he;s got bout what 200 goals to go and he'll catch up.  He can do that in about 4 seasons -- and I see him playing about 4 more seasons possibly.

Now if you want to bring physical play into account, the Canadian will riot if you try to compare Gordie Howe to OVi, but I think its getting to be a fair comparison, 

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

It’s so tough to compare players in different eras. Too many differences. Ovechkin, if not the greatest goal scorer when it all over, will be in the conversation with other all-time greats. 

It was easier to score back then.

I think the trapazoid rule has more to do with it than anything else.  But I'm weird like that.

It allowed the goalie to play the puck from anywhere in his zone, which allowed the defenders to stay further up... which allowed the forwards to stay further up.

Just my flaming hot take, lol.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

It was easier to score back then.

I think the trapazoid rule has more to do with it than anything else.  But I'm weird like that.

It allowed the goalie to play the puck from anywhere in his zone, which allowed the defenders to stay further up... which allowed the forwards to stay further up.

Just my flaming hot take, lol.

That makes a lot of sense. I would imagine that goalies were better stick handlers back then but I’m going based on the gear being less bulky. 

Imagine Holtby being able to get the puck anywhere. He’d definitely give up a couple goals just from being overly ambitious and doing a Holtby move.

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

That makes a lot of sense. I would imagine that goalies were better stick handlers back then but I’m going based on the gear being less bulky. 

Imagine Holtby being able to get the puck anywhere. He’d definitely give up a couple goals just from being overly ambitious and doing a Holtby move.

He'd also be top 5 in points on the team, lol.

Would come in handy in a game like tonight's where Carolina keeps a tight structure.

Bottom line, though - for me - the three best of this generation are Ovi, Stamkos, and Kovalchuk.  Just my take.  

I'm not much for giving poachers credit for being "Goal scorers" so that asks out Crosby right away.

Ovie and Gretzky aren't really the same type of player. Gretzky was 6'0 185, Ovie is 6'3 and 235. Gretzky was like a gazelle, Ovie is more of a mack truck. I couldn't really care less about the comparisons, I just love watching Ovie play and we truly are blessed to have had him here in DC.

9 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

And Bishop needs to eat knuckles every shift from here on out. Wilson, DSP, if you got a jersey feed him knuckles. THAT is dirtier than ANYTHING Tom Wilson has done. 

Going to be an unpopular opinion here but I actually didn’t think Bishop had any intent there. Looked to me like he was trying to play the puck, and unfortunately his teammate checked Niskanen directly into his path. Really bad luck imo. 

Still should have been called a penalty but I don’t think Bishop even meant to hit him.

57 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Going to be an unpopular opinion here but I actually didn’t think Bishop had any intent there. Looked to me like he was trying to play the puck, and unfortunately his teammate checked Niskanen directly into his path. Really bad luck imo. 

Still should have been called a penalty but I don’t think Bishop even meant to hit him.

Intent or not determine a penalty.

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

My directv now wasn't working well last night so I missed the game.  I watched it a few times on twitter.  Tough one to call, but I don't think I would've given a pen.  Looks more like he was surprised that Matty was passed off to him and he was just trying to get out of the way.

Obviously we've seen those given to our guys.

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It’s supposed to (and probably why it wasn’t called) but we’ve seen a ton of penalties called based on results rather than intent. 

Pretty much anything Wilson does, lol.

And my all-time favorite is the MoJo "High-hit" years ago where he was actually suspended a game.  Freaking Mojo, lol.

17 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It’s supposed to (and probably why it wasn’t called) but we’ve seen a ton of penalties called based on results rather than intent. 

No, you hit someone in the head with a stick, it’s high sticking whether you meant it or not.  You cause someone to propel into the boards, it’s boarding whether you meant it or not.

So, Reirden went off on the refs at the end, got a bench penalty. IMO that was about all that was warranted as far as "retaliating".. Looked like an unfortunate hockey play to me. The follow through could be seen as dirty, but it happens fast. Glad to see Nisky skate off.  Getting Orpik back couldn't come at a better time. Caps need to add some D (NHL caliber) depth if they can. 

Archived