Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

A couple of thoughts:

Seeing Ovechkin drop the gloves to fight seemed pretty surreal at the time, and I believe probably through off his teammates a bit, processing the event.  I know I was pretty stunned to witness him knock out his opponent so thoroughly.

Also, the Caps had failed to elevate their level of play thus far in the playoffs, partially due to the play of their opponent prior to today.  Now that Carolina has raised their level of play due to desperation, I believe the Caps will have to respond next game, but need to clean up their defensive zone exits and fix their power play before then.  Remember, the Caps didn't amp up their level of play last year until desperation kicked in after being down 0-2 against Columbus.  Execution and intensity will be the keys for the Capitals to be successful in the next game on Thursday.

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

This is why people talking about potential round 2 or CF teams are getting way ahead of themselves. Carolina finished the season 31-12 or so after a bad start to the season. They could easily be up in this series. Caps need to bring it or this series is going at least 6 if not 7. 

I just want to see Pittsburgh give NY a SEMBLANCE of a fight. Just win a game or 2, its all I ask. 

9 hours ago, Redskins_SF said:

Also, the Caps had failed to elevate their level of play thus far in the playoffs, partially due to the play of their opponent prior to today.  Now that Carolina has raised their level of play due to desperation, I believe the Caps will have to respond next game, but need to clean up their defensive zone exits and fix their power play before then.  Remember, the Caps didn't amp up their level of play last year until desperation kicked in after being down 0-2 against Columbus.  Execution and intensity will be the keys for the Capitals to be successful in the next game on Thursday.

Yeah we've seen this before. They're either too confident in their outright skill, or they just take a little time to heat up. Either way, it's time to kick it up a notch.

Hey, guys, guess what? The series is 2-1 in favor of the Caps. Whether they lost 10-0 or 1-0, it's still just 1 loss. The Caps beat Pittsburgh 5-2 in game 6 in 2017, and then promptly lost in game 7. The Caps beat the Flyers 6-1 in game 3 in 2016, and then promptly lost game 4. 

It's the playoffs, sweeps rarely happen and sometimes a team gets buried in one game. Caps come out on Thursday and win, it's all forgotten. There is no "carry over" in the playoffs, or every team that goes up 2-0 would sweep. Win 1 game today. that's the mentality in the playoffs. Look ahead, or start planning for the next round and the season ends. Only good team make the playoffs, and NOTHING is guaranteed. Need reminded of that? Look at the Atlantic, where the higher seed is a combined 1-5....

OK, here comes the whining...

"Svech means a lot to us. Young kid. Just turned 19. He has a special bond with our group, with me too," Brind'Amour said. "When you see that, it makes you sick. I'm still sick to my stomach about it. ... It's a little bit tough, because I just heard Ovi talk about it; he said our guy challenged him. So, if that's the case, it's a little different. If you watch the video, he slashes him twice -- Ovi, whack, whack -- then Svech gets him back. I don't know if there's words exchanged, but one guy's gloves come off way first. And that's Ovi, not our guy.

"So, it's a little but frustrating, because he got hurt. It's his first fight. He's played 90 games. He's never fought in his life, and I'm pretty sure Ovi knew that. So, that stuff bothers me."

10 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

OK, here comes the whining...

Yeah, we could tell Svechnikov never fought in his life with the way he got laid out.  

The guy challenged Ovi to a fight and got his ass handed to him, enough said.  None of the Carolina guys took issue with it because they knew what happened.  Move on, it's on to game 4.  

You can clearly see, the kid is the first to say something like "let's go..." 

38 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Hey, guys, guess what? The series is 2-1 in favor of the Caps. Whether they lost 10-0 or 1-0, it's still just 1 loss. The Caps beat Pittsburgh 5-2 in game 6 in 2017, and then promptly lost in game 7. The Caps beat the Flyers 6-1 in game 3 in 2016, and then promptly lost game 4. 

It's the playoffs, sweeps rarely happen and sometimes a team gets buried in one game. Caps come out on Thursday and win, it's all forgotten. There is no "carry over" in the playoffs, or every team that goes up 2-0 would sweep. Win 1 game today. that's the mentality in the playoffs. Look ahead, or start planning for the next round and the season ends. Only good team make the playoffs, and NOTHING is guaranteed. Need reminded of that? Look at the Atlantic, where the higher seed is a combined 1-5....

Exactly. I'm not worried at all. In fact if we're gonna lose I'd rather lose a blowout like this because history shows the team that gets blown out way more often then not bounces back to play much better in Game 4. If we lost a 3-2 heartbreaker it might have had a carry over effect.

I think we win a tight one Thursday, something like 2-1, then close it out in dominating fashion Saturday at home.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Exactly. I'm not worried at all. In fact if we're gonna lose I'd rather lose a blowout like this because history shows the team that gets blown out way more often then not bounces back to play much better in Game 4. If we lost a 3-2 heartbreaker it might have had a carry over effect.

I think we win a tight one Thursday, something like 2-1, then close it out in dominating fashion Saturday at home.

We weren't in right mindset last night - they just weren't into the game much.  After the initial flurry of action, we kinda checked out after Djoos (?) turned the puck over in our defensive zone and they scored really quickly for their first goal.  

33 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

We weren't in right mindset last night - they just weren't into the game much.  After the initial flurry of action, we kinda checked out after Djoos (?) turned the puck over in our defensive zone and they scored really quickly for their first goal.  

I also like to think that any team would have traveled to that hungry, snarling arena and lost last night. That place was starving for playoff hockey, and their team delivered. We lived to fight another day.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

My concern is they've been getting outshot all series. The Canes came to play this series. The Caps were lucky to win the first two games. 

Also the kid tried to go prison rules up in here and take on the top dog. And he failed. There is no defense for what he did. He picked a fight and got beat. That's on him. Don't pick a fight.

Just now, ixcuincle said:

My concern is they've been getting outshot all series. The Canes came to play this series. The Caps were lucky to win the first two games. 

One more time, for all to hear. The Canes led the league in shots/game. They averaged 34.4 shots on goal per game for the season. The Caps were 22nd in the league. The Canes were ALWAYS going to outshoot the Caps in this series, it's a philosophical difference. The Canes throw everything at the net, from all angles, with and without traffic. Much like the Caps did in the Boudreau era. Now, the Caps look for scoring chances. You don't have to agree with the different approaches, but acknowledge the two teams employ entirely different offensive strategies. Judging a series by shots on goal is a poor decision.

5 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

One more time, for all to hear. The Canes led the league in shots/game. They averaged 34.4 shots on goal per game for the season. The Caps were 22nd in the league. The Canes were ALWAYS going to outshoot the Caps in this series, it's a philosophical difference. The Canes throw everything at the net, from all angles, with and without traffic. Much like the Caps did in the Boudreau era. Now, the Caps look for scoring chances. You don't have to agree with the different approaches, but acknowledge the two teams employ entirely different offensive strategies. Judging a series by shots on goal is a poor decision.

You also score on shots on goal. The Caps had 2 shots on goal in the last two periods. That is very, very disturbing. 

37 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

You also score on shots on goal. The Caps had 2 shots on goal in the last two periods. That is very, very disturbing. 

The Caps literally played their worst game in probably 4 years last night. You said, "My concern is they've been getting outshot all series." That is what I was responding to. Yes, only 2 shots getting through over 40 minutes is bad. Don't overreact to SOG is all I am saying.

There is a lot of truth that one bad game means nothing in the playoffs. Last night was the perfect combination of a desperate team, playing in front of a great home crowd that hadn't had a playoff game in 10 years. My concern is that the Caps have looked nothing like the team that played really consistent hockey all last playoffs. Even when the Caps lost games, I was telling my less hockey informed friends that if the Caps keep playing the way they were, they will win 7 games series. That's how good the Caps were even when they lost. You could still see everything that was needed to win a series. 

Through three games there has been no consistency and no sign that this team is remotely close to the one from last season. The 3rd and 4th lines have done nothing all series and there is almost no secondary scoring at this point. (I do think Bura is playing well) The first line has done the bulk of the scoring and had almost all the good chances last night. The defense has been decent with the exception of Djoos but they have to generate some offense. Last thing is that Carolina looks like the faster team right now. Not good. 

It almost seemed like after Ovechkin KOd Svechnikov he was off his game a bit. Like he almost felt bad or maybe was wondering wtf he just did because we all know OVI isn’t a fighter. Their is a lot of pissed Carolina fans on twitter saying Ovi picked that fight and had no business fighting him but sorry this is the NHL, he picked the fight and got knocked the F out. Why you would ever pick a fight with a unit like Ovechkin is beyond me, the kid will definitely respect older guys after this. I’m still confident the caps win in 6, even if they even the series Thursday. They needed a wake up call and we should see a different team in 2 days. 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Maybe I was wrong about taking Hags off the second line.  Also, Burakovsky has been noticeable with his time on ice in a good way.

No you weren't. Stick with Vrana on the 2nd please.

Good chance that Canes will be without Svechnikov (2nd liner) and Ferland (3rd liner) for game 4. Caps gotta take advantage of this. 

All this pearl clutching about the fight last night is pathetic.  Svech is a PRO.  He's playing a grown-man game, and made a grown man decision last night to fight.  He's the one that instigated the whole thing.  Folks making Ovechkin to be something that he's absolutely not.  SMH.  Before last night, He's lost EVERY pro fight he's been in and was 0-2.  The Gaustad fight doesn't count because I don't think he got a FM. 

Archived