Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

23 minutes ago, max21 said:

The game on Thursday is huge, if Carolina wins they have all the momentum. We need to come out hard and score first to shut that crowd down. 

Eh momentum game to game is way overrated.

By your logic, the Caps had the momentum going into game 3. 

How did that work out for them?

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Eh momentum game to game is way overrated.

By your logic, the Caps had the momentum going into game 3. 

How did that work out for them?

It’s debatable, look at Columbus. Once they figured out and saw they could beat the Bolts they believed and kept winning. 

4 minutes ago, max21 said:

It’s debatable, look at Columbus. Once they figured out and saw they could beat the Bolts they believed and kept winning. 

I would say that this core group of players has always had some sort of swagger. It's the killer instinct that sometimes fluctuates. I'm pretty sure that Ovi will NOT let this team forget that they are the defending champs!

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

You don't think Tom Wilson is a better player than last year? Jakub Vrana? Brett Connoly is miles better than last year. Hagelin in the bottom 6 is a significant improvement too. On the D side they are clearly weaker without Kempny. 

But even they are roughly the same as last year, it still bodes well. 

Any player can all be a better player but that doesn’t mean he gets it done in the playoffs. They need to play with structure and the secondary scoring needs to show up. Until they actually do that, there isn’t a comparison.

1 minute ago, Mournblade said:

I'd say its a wash -- the loss of Kempny is balanced out by the CLEAR improvements on offence. 

just curious, what are the clear improvements on offense?

They're much worse on faceoffs which hurts both offensively and defensively

Also, the biggest issue is #92 is not playing anywhere close to the level he played last year.  I tend to agree with Alan May when he says that the Caps can go as far as Kuznetsov can take them.  I'm not sure if he is still suffering effects from the concussion or what but he'll need to be a lot better for them to have a chance at repeating the success from last season.

Maybe there are some advanced stats out there that proves they are better offensively but I certain don't see it.

2 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Buuuut, the Caps ARE up 2-1. It's silly when we make statements like "they could easily be this or that."  The reality is that we STILL have the lead in a friggin playoff hockey matchup. On to the next game boys and girls.

buuuut, one of those games went to OT, so it's not a silly statement.  Cant definitively say the Caps have been the better team so far.

Just now, RonArtest15 said:

buuuut, one of those games went to OT, so it's not a silly statement.  Cant definitively say the Caps have been the better team so far.

I get all that, but current record is what matters. I'm not arguing that the Caps look like world beaters. Just grind one game at a time.

Kuznetsov has been an issue. But hopefully he starts to come around in the playoffs.

Brett Connoly:  2018 Goals 15  Assists 12  Points 27

2019 Goals 22 Assists 24 Points 46

Tom Wilson: 2018 Goals 14 Assists 21 Points 35

2019 Goals 22 Assists 18 Points 40

Jakub Vrana: 2018 Goals 13 Assists 14 Points 27

2019 Goals 24 Assists 23 Points 47

Other CLEAR improvements: Carl Hagelin is better than anything they had on their bottom 6 last year.

Andre Burakovsky on the 4th line were he causes big mismatches for the other team.

Yeah, with the exception of Kuz, they are better on offence.   

I don’t believe in game to game momentum, but I’d like to see more of last season’s Caps show up.  It’s only 3 games in, so I’m not worried yet, but...

Last season’s Caps playoff team played a perfect defense and transition game.  If they scored first then the game was over.  THAT is what we need.  We need to score first and then stifle them into submission.

They know how to do it, just not sure that Rierden is coaching them that way.  WAY too many sloppy plays last game.

Also, I don’t think that the loss of Kempney is that big a deal.  Team defense needs to improve though.

19 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

I get all that, but current record is what matters. I'm not arguing that the Caps look like world beaters. Just grind one game at a time.

OBVIOUSLY the current record matters, but it's hard for me to celebrate the losses of Pit/TB and look ahead to a potential matchup w/ Trotz and the Isles when this Caps team is in an absolute dogfight.  A dogfight that could easily gone in another direction having us down 2-1. 

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t believe in game to game momentum, but I’d like to see more of last season’s Caps show up.  It’s only 3 games in, so I’m not worried yet, but...

Last season’s Caps playoff team played a perfect defense and transition game.  If they scored first then the game was over.  THAT is what we need.  We need to score first and then stifle them into submission.

They know how to do it, just not sure that Rierden is coaching them that way.  WAY too many sloppy plays last game.

Also, I don’t think that the loss of Kempney is that big a deal.  Team defense needs to improve though.

Losing Kempny is a HUGE deal.  You see how bad and overwhelmed Djoos looks out there?  Chances are, he'd be in the pressbox if there were other options.  Defense would be in a completely different place if MK was healthy. 

6 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m not even sure why I go on HF boards, theirs a guy claiming Svechnikov won that fight because he intentionally used his face to break Ovechkins hand. 

the main boards are ****ed up

just stay in the caps forum. you go to the main boards and like 2000 canes fans like WHY DID OVECHKIN KNOCK SHVENIKOV OUT well he provoked him and asked for it 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

OBVIOUSLY the current record matters, but it's hard for me to celebrate the losses of Pit/TB and look ahead to a potential matchup w/ Trotz and the Isles when this Caps team is in an absolute dogfight.  A dogfight that could easily gone in another direction having us down 2-1. 

Losing Kempny is a HUGE deal.  You see how bad and overwhelmed Djoos looks out there?  Chances are, he'd be in the pressbox if there were other options.  Defense would be in a completely different place if MK was healthy. 

Djoos has a ring.  He knows what needs to be done.  It would be better if Kempney were out there but it takes 4 other players and a goalie to play defense.  Our blind passes and bad exits killed us last game.  Djoos is only a small part of that.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Djoos has a ring.  He knows what needs to be done.  It would be better if Kempney were out there but it takes 4 other players and a goalie to play defense.  Our blind passes and bad exits killed us last game.  Djoos is only a small part of that.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer today (I swear), but knowing what needs to be done and having the ability to do it are two different things.  Djoos can't handle top line minutes if the Caps want to win.  The margin in the playoffs is too small.  

I'm just expressing my concerns, there isn't anything that can be done.  Everyone, Djoos included, but everyone is going to have to be that much better.  

50 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer today (I swear), but knowing what needs to be done and having the ability to do it are two different things.  Djoos can't handle top line minutes if the Caps want to win.  The margin in the playoffs is too small.  

I'm just expressing my concerns, there isn't anything that can be done.  Everyone, Djoos included, but everyone is going to have to be that much better.  

Id be all for putting Brooks Orpik in top 4 and having Djoos/Orlov/new guy whose name escapes me right now as a bottom pair.

You don’t need to roll that bottom pair all that much in the playoffs.

Also, I’m not the coach.  I’ll trust what Rierden wants to do.  I think the defensive zone problems are a team effort though.  Bad outlets, blind passes, that stuff.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

@PleaseBlitz nailed it.  Knowing and doing are two COMPLETELY different things.  Djoos, right now, is a liability.  Couldn't care less about what he did last year in the playoffs. 

Loverro just said that Rierden is on the hotseat.

Yes, after the rookie head coach took his team to win the division and to 2 straight wins in the playoffs followed by a dud, he is claming Reirden is on the hotseat.

That pretty much sums up DC sports fans as a whole.  Everyone COMPLETELY overreacts game to game in EVERY sport.  You saw it with the Nats first few games this season too.

No wonder people think we're such a stupid fanbase and a non sports town.

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Loverro just said that Rierden is on the hotseat.

Yes, after the rookie head coach took his team to win the division and to 2 straight wins in the playoffs followed by a dud, he is claming Reirden is on the hotseat.

That pretty much sums up DC sports fans as a whole.  Everyone COMPLETELY overreacts game to game in EVERY sport.  You saw it with the Nats first few games this season too.

No wonder people think we're such a stupid fanbase and a non sports town.

I mean does anyone really care what Thom Loverro thinks?  If I remember correctly, he also had an awful take after the Ovechkin fight the other night and I don't even think he enjoys hockey.  Baseball and boxing are the only sports he discusses where I get the impression he actually cares about the subject.

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I mean does anyone really care what Thom Loverro thinks?  If I remember correctly, he also had an awful take after the Ovechkin fight the other night and I don't even think he enjoys hockey.  Baseball and boxing are the only sports he discusses where I get the impression he actually cares about the subject.

No but his take is a microcosm of DC sports fans.

Unfunny Danny also thinks fighting should be taken out of the NHL, but oh hey he's fine with the NFL and how dangerous it is because they are taking measures to try and make the game safer.  And that dude has a show on the #1 DC sports radio station.

We are just a stupid fanbase for the most part with some stupid people in the local media too.

(and by we I don't mean here on ES, I just mean your average DC sports "fan" as a whole)

Archived