Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

On 11/5/2018 at 9:02 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Craig Hoffman is actually dead wrong.  DL play in the run game wasn’t terrible but gap fits by LB and safeties was. Trevor pointed that out in the post game, and I even picked up on it.  I asked my wife why Mason was standing right behind Payne, taking himself out of the play.

Thats coaching.  That’s Manusky, hired by Gruden.  

It’s on Gruden.  He’s the HC.  Enough excuses.  

Hahaha you're too much... next is "Gruden should have hired a better equipment staff who would have ordered better gloves so that Docston wouldn't have dropped those passed." Enough already man.

And no, the DL was terrible. Go re-watch the game, I already did. They were consistently tossed wherever the Falcons wanted them. You have to be extremely naive to place no blame on the DL when we gave up 6.5 yard avg rush. 

Ironically, this article gets help from a former Redskin defender, Matt Bowen.

The piece provides an interesting perspective for those still wondering why the Skins defense, overnight, suddenly stopped playing just like the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens defense ?

From USA Today : The Match Game, Part 1: How NFL defenses lost their way

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/06/the-match-game-part-1-how-nfl-defenses-lost-their-way/

Doug gets help from Matt Bowen and Louis Riddick, ESPN analysts and former NFL defensive backs, to discuss how offenses are playing in the new millennium… and defenses are definitely not. It’s a problem of schematic imbalance.

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

4th rounder making a significantly better impact that our 1st rounder in the same draft, from the same team. 

I was just coming here to talk about that, funny its the most recent post.  Matt Ioannidis has made me rethink /reevaluate just how important & valuable a 4th round pick can be.I guess i never had the confidence in our front office to find talent beyond the first 2 rounds.

Ioannidis was a 5th rounder... just sayin’.  

Crowder and Kouandijo were 4th rounders in 2015, followed by no 4th rd pick in 2016, and then Perine and Nicholson in 2017.  All things considered, not a bad group for that round.  For all the (understandable) grief Kouandijo got, he came around last year and was penciled in to start.  

Going back to the 2014 draft, we got Breeland - a very solid 4th rounder. 

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

4th rounder making a significantly better impact that our 1st rounder in the same draft, from the same team. 

Local guy too, from Woodbridge.  Had he chosen any other school in the nation, he probably would've had a chance to showcase himself more.  

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ironically, this article gets help from a former Redskin defender, Matt Bowen.

The piece provides an interesting perspective for those still wondering why the Skins defense, overnight, suddenly stopped playing just like the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens defense ?

From USA Today : The Match Game, Part 1: How NFL defenses lost their way

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/06/the-match-game-part-1-how-nfl-defenses-lost-their-way/

Loooooove this stuff. Now this football talk with some real value and forward thinking. Would love to see more of this kind of discussion or questions asked of coaches in media sessions. 

It’s fascinating, because I feel the NBA is about 5 years ahead of the NFL in regards to offense taking over the game and no groundbreaking defensive adjustments have been made by NBA coaches to date. Many seem worried about job security and going against status quo.

NFL defenses muuuust make some schematic/personnel changes. We’re seeing some of it with the tweener LB/S role on most teams now. 

Only 2 sacks but the D did what they've done all year, get turnovers.  They gave up almost 500 yards of offense but didn't let them score, that won't work against the better teams but luckily we played a bad team today.

You have to give them credit for holding a potent Bucs offense to only 3 points, I didn't think they could do it, the Bucs have a ton of weapons so this is a good win for the defense.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anderson and Stroman both had good days.

I've been calling to get Fabian out of the slot and outside and they finally did. He looked good, as did Stroman in the slot.

Good to see Stroman improving. I was worried he was going to get beat deep but that became hard to fathom when he started lining up 20 yards off the receiver.

We need Holsey back. I know he's been practicing the last couple weeks but where is he? Need to activate him and send Danny Johnson to the practice squad

The problem isn't the D line as much as the linebackers don't seem to get home. Today though, we had so many near sacks where they just didn't wrap up and Fitz escaped. I don't know who was guilty, but man all the almosts nearly killed me.

We are in desperate need for a speed guy and a finisher. Kerrigan has always been an effort guy. Smith is having an anti-contract year so far. Ryan Anderson and McPhee I think are also effort guys.

15 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The problem isn't the D line as much as the linebackers don't seem to get home. Today though, we had so many near sacks where they just didn't wrap up and Fitz escaped. I don't know who was guilty, but man all the almosts nearly killed me.

We are in desperate need for a speed guy and a finisher. Kerrigan has always been an effort guy. Smith is having an anti-contract year so far. Ryan Anderson and McPhee I think are also effort guys.

Yea Id assume youre just talking about our linebackers as far as being effort guys.  Because I feel like big Matt Ioannidis is an effort guy too.  But that's why I like him.

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, when it's the 4th, and the Skins are up 6-3, and don't have the ball, how many are willing to grudgingly admit that we might win this one?  (At least to themselves?)

So long as we aint playing the Saints or the Falcons....

55 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not just Fitz, their RB had a big play off an Allen tackle behind the line. And it has been this way all season. Minus the Giants game. 

But as I've said in other threads I think it's part strategy. I think they're afraid of putting more resources towards pass rush because they want to take away their opponents top weapon be it running or passing. I think it's partially about big plays but also about those over the top plays. So to them it's not as bad to stay on the field and give up the third down conversion if it forces them to do 3 more hard plays. Atl did a good job of beating us and making those plays into TDs and not making the critical mistakes. But most teams and most QBs (or OL or WRs or RBd) are likely to make mistakes on long drives. 

56 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, when it's the 4th, and the Skins are up 6-3, and don't have the ball, how many are willing to grudgingly admit that we might win this one?  (At least to themselves?)

It really depends.

If there is :30 to go and they have the ball at their own 5, I would feel pretty good.

If there is 4 minutes left, not so much.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I like what I saw from Cassanova McKinsey; that would be sack negated by penalty was a pass rush move out of Junior Galette’s playbook. 

Archived