Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the scary thing is now they don't need him, they have two other beasts

We are better at takeaways.  But they are good against the run, pass, points, yards -- the whole drill.  Our defense not so.  I think our D line is competitive with theirs.  I think their MLBs kill ours.  We got the better safeties.  CB a toss up.  

When teams can game plan specifically to exploit our middle linebackers, I think that's a position in clear need for an upgrade.

Agree with all of that, and on the aggregate, they’re probably a better D.  Just not sure how much to weight those 11 extra takeaways - which both take points off the board (at times), give us better field position (at times), and can be morale boosters for our team and demoralizing for the opponent.  

I’ll also add, to your point, that I think their backers actually make their front look better than it is.  Probably help the secondary in the same way.  

The takeaways are great, but takeaways/turnovers tend to be a very volatile stat. Teams that have a lot one year tend to not have as many the next year. People say yards don't matter, but at the end of the day, if your opponent isn't getting first downs on you or sustaining possession, they're not likely to score points.

We are also awful on 3rd and 1. Teams are I believe 15/15 against us this year. Unbelievable.

And we don't force enough punts. Our opponents have only punted a combined twice the last two games. Just for comparison, the Chiefs and Rams punted three and four times respectively this past MNF.

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

GAP control by our LB has been terrible otherwise this unit would be a top 5 unit in all of football

I've clearly seen this throughout the year. Felt like on a lot of big gainers the from 3 or four occupied and there was little second level blocking. Yet, Our LBs were late or nowhere near the hole. I wonder where Brown has been, anticipated much bigger role with this success. 

Tim Settle would make the draft for me. There are a lot of guys I like late, but I believe Settle is a top 40 talent & he looked more impressive than either NCST DT to me. 

Absolutely phenomenal day from big Tim. He was the most disruptive force on the field. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The DL(and I guess by extension Kerrigan/Smith)is the only unit on this team that's even above average at this point.

Swearinger more or less saying the defense can beat up on bad offenses otherwise they are in trouble.  I am guessing after today's game they will be ranked somewhere in the 20s in yards allowed.  This is an improved defense from last year.  They are good at creating turnovers.  The D line is good and hopefully continues to emerge . 

But, the overall defense is terrible on third down, they don't seem to be that clutch, and opponents can put up lots of yards on them including now on the ground.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000991460/article/dj-swearinger-on-redskins-d-we-dont-get-respect?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

We can go out there and do whatever on teams that ain't good. Like I said against Tampa, we can do whatever we want on teams that ain't good," Sweainger explained. "But when we got teams that can play with you, you got to prepare. You got to tackle. You got to do the simple things right. If you don't do the simple things right, you're going to get embarrassed on national TV. That's why we don't get respect as the Redskins. We don't do the simple s--- right. We do the simple s--- right, I guarantee you we get respect. So we don't [get] no damn respect. I see why we get disrespected because we don't win the big game. We got to win the big game.

The Redskins can't run the ball anymore and they can't stop the run. Until that changes, it's going to be tough for them to win enough games to earn a playoff berth. That was evident after the 31-23 loss to the Dallas Cowboys that leaves the teams tied in the division. Ezekiel Elliott rushed for 121 yards. But it was also the big busted plays in the secondary, more so from missed tackles than just bad coverage. That led to touchdown passes of 40 and 90 yards. The Redskins' offense didn't receive a boost from Colt McCoy, who threw three interceptions and running back Adrian Peterson managed just 35 yards on 12 carries. The Redskins just make too many mistakes for a team with little margin for error.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer3h ago

This from a defense that wants to be respected? That preaches after every victory that things are different? That wants to lead a team to the postseason?

Asked how disappointed he was in the defensive performance, Coach Jay Gruden said: “Very, very. Very, very, very.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/how-concerning-is-redskins-recent-defensive-play-very-very-very-very-very/2018/11/22/aeb4f26a-ee98-11e8-8679-934a2b33be52_story.html?utm_term=.c63d7524163f

I’m happy with this dline, but we need (at least) one stud inside backer, and we need better corner play.  

The good news is that SDH should be good competition at ILB, the interior dline rotation is quite good, and we have a few young corners getting experience.  The downside is that we might lose Preston, and I’m not sure how talented these young corners actually are.  

Well in fairness in today's NFL, you really aren't going to stop elite offenses anyway, but I understand the general premise. We don't really have a great scheme on D. We do fine when we can just outman/outmuscle weak offenses(Cardinals, Giants, first Cowboys game)or rely on takeaways(Panthers, Bucs)but otherwise we don't play sustainable defense. We give up too many chunks, particularly on 1st down, and can't get off the field on any 3rd and intermediate or less because we lack explosive pass rush and our secondary is always playing way off(bad coaching).

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Galette?  am guessing Bruce would be too stubborn to make that move.  

I wouldn't hate it.  We've been better with our pass rush, primarily on the interior, but some speed on the edge could be good.  Preston appears to be coming on but every little bit out there helps. Heck, having a guy like Galette come in now might spark something in the defense... who knows... i'm grasping.  

We have no explosive play makers, that’s why I preferred Derwin to Payne, but I do love Da’Ron. 

Allen, Payne, Matt, & Settle will be as good an interior as anyone in the nfl has heading into 2019, but we need significant upgrades at FS, #1 cb, ilb & Edge. Imo. 

I don’t think we are much better than whoever the worst team in the nfl is, we kept finding ways to move down in the draft, but yesterday, Tim Settle salvaged the season for me. That’s what you hope a top 3 pick looks like. That’s what Solomon Thomas was supposed to look like, but 20lbs heavier. If I could start a team with any player on the field yesterday, it would be Tim Settle. Looking at the players as if they had no history, Tim Settle was the one guy who could wreck a game plan by himself. That was the most impressive DT play I’ve seen in Washington in 25 years. That was absolutely astonishing to see. I can’t believe there isn’t more excitement here, he is the talk of many around the NFL today. The “holy ....” moments were noticed around the league, as was the transformation of his body. 

I’m going to have to gif it for the board, the ES family deserves something to be excited about and I, unknowingly, broke a rule....I need to make up fer it. 

Archived