Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 UDFA Thread

TK

54 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Welsh and Parris are two big gets.  LG is like the one hole on our OL.  Welsh I'm less excited for because I just don't think he has NFL strength, but maybe that changes when he gets up here with new strength coaching.  Parris, however, is one of those "tackles in college who probably needs to slide inside to have an NFL career" guys.  I'd tell him he's playing guard, and let him compete for starting LG.  Light a fire under him.

I don't expect much from UDFAs generally, but Parris might actually do something at this level if he's healthy.

I think one of those two is the most likely to stick but think Welsh is the better bet given his versatility (maybe why he was ranked higher in most sites).

R-JUNIOR SEASON (2016): Weight room warrior who posted some of the best numbers of the TE/LB/FB group in program history … In July 2016, posted the third-best squat in program history (630 pounds), a record-breaking power clean (365 pounds), second-best bench press at 225 pounds (36 repetitions), record-breaking bench press (505 pounds), third-best vertical jump (39 inches) and fifth-best broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) … Saw action in eight games at linebacker and defensive end … Recorded 33 tackles with 1.5 tackles for a loss and one pass breakup … Debuted against Morgan State with seven tackles … Recorded seven tackles against Akron … Five tackles vs. Pitt and North Texas.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/davon_durant_977677.html

Four-star junior college linebacker Davon Durant is committed to Arizona State but he's thinking about a trip to Kentucky before he signs anywhere.
Many junior college prospects sign with colleges in December and that's what Durant's plan is.
So he might have just a short while before he's ready to put his name to paper, and that means he's thinking about whether he's made the right choice.
The 6-foot-2, 240-pound inside linebacker plays a position of need for Kentucky. The only problem for the Wildcats is that he's been committed to Todd Graham's Arizona State program since Oct. 21. There have been rumors that Durant would take other visits so Cats Illustrated reached out to him this week.
"I'm not really sure about the visits but I guess we'll see," Durant said. "I'll probably know something by the end of the week."
Durant said Kentucky, Oregon, Ole Miss, Oklahoma and USC are among the schools recruiting him the hardest, aside from Arizona State.
"I mean, I'm happy with Arizona State," he said. "But you don't know what could happen. I'm not closing doors on anybody."

In this feature, Game****Central.com speaks with Butler County Community College assistant linebackers coach/recruiting coordinator Dale Vogel about South Carolina linebacker commitment Davon Durant.
GC: One thing that you recently mentioned to me was that Davon was the most physically impressive guy that you've ever recruited to Butler. Can you expand on that a bit for me?
DV: I've been at Butler for four years. I was here in 2011 when we had (recent NFL second round pick and SC native) Demarcus Lawrence. I didn't recruit those guys but I kind of took over from 2012, 13, and 14. Of all the guys I've come across, he's been the most physically gifted that I've been around. First of all, he's 6-2, 235 and runs a 4.48. That's unheard of. The good Lord has certainly blessed that young man; I know that. He works his tail off in the weight room too. He looks like a Greek god out there, no doubt about that.
GC: What kind of season has he had so far for you there?
DV: He's done really well for us. He's made a lot of plays. The Iowa Western game, that's the most impressive I've seen him play in his two years here. He was all over the field. I believe he had six or seven tackles for loss. He had three sacks in that game. Just sideline to sideline. He's such a quiet kid, he just kind of goes about his business. He's been really productive for us this year, he really has.
GC: He of course came from a good high school program. You mentioned his physique and how hard he works. What makes him such a good player? Is it his intelligence, his physical ability, both?
DV: It's a combination of both. I think physical ability certainly has a lot to do with it. He can just do a lot of different things. Just running to the football. He's one of those guys too, once he hits you, you can tell on film that guys go backwards. He's just a rare breed. We're blessed to have had him here.
GC: As far as you know, he's still going to be able to get to South Carolina in January and enroll in time for spring practice there next year?
DV: "Absolutely. He's on pace to be out of here in December."
GC: "He's going to go play at South Carolina with another Greenwood guy in Marquavius Lewis. You guys had a chance to play Lewis' team this season. What were your impressions?
DV: High motor. He's improved since last year and he was really, really good. He was even better this year. He's grown into his body, probably gotten stronger in the weight room. . He's hard to block, just really big and athletic. They line him up inside, line him up outside. He's a matchup problem whether he's inside or outside. Marquavius is one of those guys that can play inside or outside depending on their personnel.
GC: How do you think that Davon fits in at South Carolina? Is he better suited to play the WILL or the MIKE there?
DV: I think he's one of those rare guys that can play both. I know going into it, they thought he would he as going to play inside. We've been playing him outside on the edge and Coach Botkin said he would like to see more of that, with him playing out there. We showed him some spring film and to my understanding they think he can play both. As long as Davon Durant is on the football field for my team, I feel pretty good."

10 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Interesting we sign a FB, Elijah Wellmanm WVU.  Watching cut-ups on Guice and Fournette from LSU, many successful running plays utilized a fullback.  I wonder if Jay Gruden will run some of those plays during camp to see if a FB on the roster is warranted. 

Don't forget that Payne has played some FB.

Was just going to post this HigSkin. :)  The Skins FO (got to think Smith/Campbell) did a great job in the draft and now UDFA.  WR corp. may be totally different this year.  A lot of talent in UDFA and our last pick.  We might have found a couple of Welker's for the Redskins. :)   Also Cobb is slow but he's tall and catches EVERYTHING thrown to him.

I think this is best UDFA class I can remember the team has ever signed.  They are doing things different the last couple years with the draft. Maybe our former GM showed them a better or different way to do things even with the draft.  Not taking credit away just seems different.  Even on trades we have fared really well, the draft they stuck to there plans and seems to have worked out.

Really happy that we picked up Welsh and Paris to compete for interior line positions.  Most people figured they'd be drafted in 6th or 7th round. Simmie Cobbs is a 5th or 6th round talent.  Don't sleep on Martez Carter.  He's electric at 5'7, 200 lbs. I was hoping for a couple of safeties on the UDFA list.  Like most, I think we could have taken Apke later in the draft, but he could be just fine.  We need more depth at safety.  Right now our backups to Nicholson and Swearinger are Everett, Smithson, and Apke.  

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Cobbs vs. Quinn vs. Robert Davis vs. Maurice Harris is gonna be fun to watch. Brian Quick doesn't have a chance at this roster 

well if you're eliminating Quick then two of these guys should make it, because only Richardson, Doctson and Crowder are locks on the roster

why isn't Cobb on the front page list yet

12 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Like most, I think we could have taken Apke later in the draft, but he could be just fine.  We need more depth at safety.  Right now our backups to Nicholson and Swearinger are Everett, Smithson, and Apke.  

I think if Redskins had send a list of this are the players we are drafting. Then 90% of us fans would said NICE! Guice, Payne, Settle, Quinn, Apke. I don't know how they did it, but great group of guys! 

So yeah Apke in 4th is maybe meh but if I look a the group overal it doesn't matter to much. If we used 4th on Settle and 5th on Apke we would have same players and fans would feel better about it. 

Always thought it was interesting how fans get all excited about the UDFA signings and sort of said to myself why?  They don't really have a chance to make the roster so I don't know what all the fuss is about.  So I decided to do some research.  Out of the 2016 and 2017 signings we actually have four (out of 30) who are on the team now.  Rob Kelley, Maurice Harris, Anthony Lanier, and Ty Catalina.  Now you could argue maybe they would not be if the talent level on this team was higher but that is a different discussion.  So maybe there is a diamond or two in the rough here.  That would be sweet if it works out that way.  

20 minutes ago, glongest said:

Always thought it was interesting how fans get all excited about the UDFA signings and sort of said to myself why?  They don't really have a chance to make the roster so I don't know what all the fuss is about.  So I decided to do some research.  Out of the 2016 and 2017 signings we actually have four (out of 30) who are on the team now.  Rob Kelley, Maurice Harris, Anthony Lanier, and Ty Catalina.  Now you could argue maybe they would not be if the talent level on this team was higher but that is a different discussion.  So maybe there is a diamond or two in the rough here.  That would be sweet if it works out that way.  

Kyle Kalis was undrafted and signed by skins last year.   Not sure how you gathered your list but there could be others you aren't seeing.   

There are a few each year that do go (league overall).  So there is some past that shows it's worth trying. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft

If you go back and look at the draft results on wiki they generally have a section of notable udfa's.   You'll see a few names you recognize.   Like Corey Clement of the eagles.  

Considering the draft is a bit of a crap shoot,  I'd be curious if hit rates in 6/7th are all that different from udfa.

Everett, Compton, Baker, Kalis, Kelley, Brown, Dunbar, Harris,Vigil, Lanier, Way, Hopkins, Francis, Mbu - all udfas

Its not always just about them being superstars, but having the talent on our 90 man roster to develop into future starters. There's probably a reason that they went undrafted. Sometimes it's position importance, other times it's things like them being too raw but athletic enough to be dominant. 

But they can make the practice squad and be a reserve and a year or two later we wind up addressing the position with a high draft pick so they don't get to develop. The success rate is low (if you can even calculate it at all) but when you see guys with talent it's an opportunity to add talent to the team. 

FWIW, Athlon Sports Draft Guide had Simmie Cobbs graded as a 2nd round talent. Graded Quin Blanding as a 3rd Round Talent. Pro Football Weekly had Sean Welsh as the 4th best Center (yes, I know he played primarily as a Guard) and Timon Parris as the 13th Rated tackle. We shall see, but there may be a few Diamonds in the Rough in this Undrafted Free Agent group. I think the Skins have done a GREAT job in this years Draft and UDFA period. Can't wait to see these guys in action!!  

Wow. The Quin Blanding signing is very welcomed.  I like the Apke pick, but he's a bit of a project. Blanding should have been drafted by the 5th round.  Kudos to the front office on having a plan and acting on it successfully. Best UDFA class I've ever seen us land.

16 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Welsh and Parris are two big gets.  LG is like the one hole on our OL.  Welsh I'm less excited for because I just don't think he has NFL strength, but maybe that changes when he gets up here with new strength coaching.

If we're going to get high on an undrafted Guard, why not Kalis ?

I've been preaching for a while now that he may be the answer.

There's a reason the Skins went out of their way to swipe him back from the Colts, after they swiped him from us.

And Kalis may also be the reason they didn't draft a Guard.

He may have really shown the Skins something.

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If we're going to get high on an undrafted Guard, why not Kalis ?

I've been preaching for a while now that he may be the answer.

There's a reason the Skins went out of their way to swipe him back from the Colts, after they swiped him from us.

And Kalis may also be the reason they didn't draft a Guard.

He may have really shown the Skins something.

Kalis might be good.  But he wasn't good enough to make the team last year, and the team that signed him and had him start a couple games cut him.  So he might be, but he might not be and he also might be considered a big project

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Kalis might be good.  But he wasn't good enough to make the team last year, and the team that signed him and had him start a couple games cut him.  So he might be, but he might not be and he also might be considered a big project

Colts did not waive him for performance reasons. They waived him because he was hurt, and with the intention of bringing him back and putting him on the injured list. But we stepped in before they could do that.

Not only that, but it says something positive about him, that the Skins were willing to use a spot on our 53 man roster, who we knew was hurt, and would probably not even play the rest of the year.

I believe he's special.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Colts did not waive him for performance reasons. They waived him because he was hurt, and with the intention of bringing him back and putting him on the injured list. But we stepped in before they could do that.

Not only that, but it says something positive about him, that the Skins were willing to use a spot on our 53 man roster, who we knew was hurt, and would probably not even play the rest of the year.

I believe he's special.

waived/injured is a preseason thing. I mean if it wasn't then a first round draft pick could never go on IR cause no one would risk them

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Payback is a ****, eh Colts?  HTTR

3 minutes ago, carex said:

waived/injured is a preseason thing.

Not according to these events...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/kyle-kalis-waivedinjured-by-colts/

The Colts waived/injured Kalis on Saturday with an undisclosed injury.

Kalis was signed off the Redskins' practice squad Oct. 3. He'll presumably clear waivers and revert to the team's injured reserve. He will spend the remainder of the season there unless he and the team can reach an injury settlement.

Archived