Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not even sure how you look AP in the face and ask if he’s okay backing up Rob Kelley.

Honestly if he came in for a workout, looked good enough to be offered a contract, and then showed he was the best RB currently available on the roster, I doubt he would be the back up for very long.

On the other hand, this is the NFL yesterday's elite players sometimes hit the wall and fade fast and have to be content to get in where they fit in.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not even sure how you look AP in the face and ask if he’s okay backing up Rob Kelley.

This was funny ? but in seriousness if you are the coach how do you explain to R. Kelley and the rest of the team that AP is being signed and anointed the starter position without even practicing with the team?   Kelley has not done anything yet to be demoted..

I will be happy if AP signs Monday but the fair thing to do would be to have him split carries.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure if you can look at the tape of either from last year and say he should be backing up Kelly.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Honestly if he came in for a workout, looked good enough to be offered a contract, and then showed he was the best RB currently available on the roster, I doubt he would be the back up for very long.

On the other hand, this is the NFL yesterday's elite players sometimes hit the wall and fade fast and have to be content to get in where they fit in.

Yeah, but this is AP. And honestly, from what I have seen, he wouldnt have to worry about it. Day 1 starter.

1 minute ago, beachboy757 said:

This was funny ? but in seriousness if you are the coach how do you explain to R. Kelley and the rest of the team that AP is being signed and anointed the starter position without even practicing with the team?   Kelley has not done anything yet to be demoted..

I will be happy if AP signs Monday but the fair thing to do would be to have him split carries.

Sure, for Preseason. I'd get AP as many as I could.

And unless he has REALLY fallen off from last year, he's starts the regular season as the starter.

3 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

I get it, you can’t just anoint him without playing a down.  Im not even sure you can go into it splitting carries.  

Just sounds crazy talking about AP backing up Kelley.

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agree.  Wonder what Kelley has earned?  is it the 3.1 YPA last year?  His one 100 yard game in his career -- including college?  His blazing 4.68 speed?  What is he like averaging 2.5 a carry so far in the preseason? 

Maybe we are missing the point -- the show about nothing -- maybe that's the charm?

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Alex Smith says he ran into Jamaal Charles in the training room. Smith says he thinks a lot of Charles as a person and as a player

I don't know if Charles still has his elite speed, but this is what I might do.

AP is your 2 down thumper.

Charles is your 3rd down/scat back.

Championship!:drooley:

*only 1/2 serious. Serious about the players, not serious about the championship.

9 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Shouldn't we be waiting for roster cuts. Looks like Abdullah and Gilissee will likely be available  maybe B. Cunningham  too. All of those guys have a bigger upside than Dwarka, Charles  or Peterson. Plus there are always suprise releases. Maybe we get lucky again. 

Yes. I think someone had several guys that could be cuts, and I added a couple players myself. I would have a bunch of people looking at possible cuts.

But we are also down to 2 healthy RB's. We also need bodies. I would be looking everywhere, older players, younger players, CFL cuts (I keed, I keed!) retired players (DeMarco, you wanna beat up on BOTH Philthy AND the Boyz for doing you wrong?), ect.......

I can get behind signing AP, while he is one dimensional the good news is they still have Chris to throw to. That would make for a nice 1-2 punch this year. As for APs age remember he missed all but one game in 2014, and only played in 13 games the past two seasons for various reasons. His age in playing time is not what we think it is.

Biggest advantage over signing him vs Darkwa is that with AP he is a one year bandaid, something the teams needs. They don’t need a RB for more then this year so it would be perfect. I think Darkwa would require a multi year deal to get where as AP wouldn’t

Also never understood the obsession of rbs who want to “start”, rb is a platoon position where most every team has multiple people getting work every week. If that’s some sticking point to sign someone I would say they were the “starter” and give them the first possession of the game. From there I’d ride the hot hand. I’m sure the “starter” issue is contractual for these guys because otherwise who cares? Most of the NFL uses a committee approach anyway

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Also never understood the obsession of rbs who want to “start”, rb is a platoon position where most every team has multiple people getting work every week. If that’s some sticking point to sign someone I would say they were the “starter” and give them the first possession of the game. From there I’d ride the hot hand. I’m sure the “starter” issue is contractual for these guys because otherwise who cares? Most of the NFL uses a committee approach anyway

Only when they don't have a really good RB. When they do, that guy gets the vast majority of the carries. Think back a couple years ago. RGIII and Alf., with CT on passing downs. Just how many other RB's got playing time? And how much?

Nope, you have a bunch of Jags, you go with the hot hand. You have a stud, you go with him.

1 hour ago, beachboy757 said:

I could be wrong but I thought last season AP asked to be released from the Saints or the Cardinals because they would not name him the starter?  Like an above poster mentioned it is too close to week 1 to swap the penciled in starter for a guy off the street even if it is AP.

From what I recall, there was a real issue with AP and Sean Payton.

Payton's a real rectum, and AP was understandably not happy to be reduced to barely any carries per game. It wasn't about being named a starter. It was that AP signed with the understanding that there would be opportunities, and then, was basically ignored on the sideline by his HC. 

12 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Only when they don't have a really good RB. When they do, that guy gets the vast majority of the carries.

This simplistic view of RBBC doesn’t jive with the NFL today. Lots of teams utilize more then one RB in a game. Examples Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Patriots last year. Long gone are the days of bellcow RBs who take all the carries like this across the league, very very few teams aren’t using a committee approach today

12 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Think back a couple years ago. RGIII and Alf., with CT on passing downs. Just how many other RB's got playing time? And how much?

Nope, you have a bunch of Jags, you go with the hot hand. You have a stud, you go with him.

Not the case at all. And even if Guice had not gotten hurt they would have used a committe approach with the RBs this year

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gruden says the RB visits are more if the team suffers more injuries at the position. Kinda said Rob Kelley is the starter and team is looking for possible depth

Maybe so, but once you get an AP in here I think the competition heats up unless Kelley steps it up. I think Darkwa would give the coaches something to think about too....

1 hour ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Shouldn't we be waiting for roster cuts. Looks like Abdullah and Gilissee will likely be available  maybe B. Cunningham  too. All of those guys have a bigger upside than Dwarka, Charles  or Peterson. Plus there are always suprise releases. Maybe we get lucky again. 

Or trade for someone now for a late round draft pick? Gillislee is intriguing to me but the other two you mention don't do much for me. Just off the top of my head I know the Eagles will cut either Smallwood or Matt Jones, I know we likely don't want Jones back but I agree with your thinking that there could be some other good names out there to consider? 

15 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

This simplistic view of RBBC doesn’t jive with the NFL today. Lots of teams utilize more then one RB in a game. Examples Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Patriots last year. Long gone are the days of bellcow RBs who take all the carries like this across the league, very very few teams aren’t using a committee approach today

Not the case at all. And even if Guice had not gotten hurt they would have used a committe approach with the RBs this year

Actually, it does jive. When you have a guy like Hunt or Gurley or Bell, they are in there............................ a lot. The top 7 guys are close to 300 attemps, and the only reason Zeke wasn't (he wasn't) was for the 4 game suspention. You get a bell cow, and teams are going to ride it. Ingram wasn't either, but he had Kamara, who could be one of those guys if he was on a different team. Teams that don't have a stud, use situational RB's. Now, it's possible we different definitions here. I'd call Alf a bellcow, even if Thompson was in a significant number of snaps, due to alf not being much of a pass catcher and Thompson, not being able to handle too many carries. You might call that RBBC. I would not. RBBC is to me, like 3 guys getting 150+carries and not because guys got hurt.

So, I'll also disagree with the Guice comment. But then, it might be we disagree on the definition. With Guice healthy, I don't see Perine or Kelly getting 100+ carries. I don't see them getting 100 carries between them. Just coming in to give him a breather or if he tweaks something is about it. That is not RBBC to me

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Regardless of his reputation, he's unemployed in the NFL, and hasn't gotten any calls.

So, ego is not a factor.

He'll take a backup role, if it's a paycheck that's a whole lot more than he's currently making.

22 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Regardless of his reputation, he's unemployed in the NFL, and hasn't gotten any calls.

So, ego is not a factor.

He'll take a backup role, if it's a paycheck that's a whole lot more than he's currently making.

It's also likely that he's made a hell of a lot more money than any of us here have. I'm pretty sure, unless he just throws money away, he doesn't have to work ever again. If that's the case I'm not sure he just comes in for a paycheck. AP is very competitive. He's going to want to be the man, and bust his ass to be it. I don't see him coming in here to back up Kelly.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

It's also likely that he's made a hell of a lot more money than any of us here have. I'm pretty sure, unless he just throws money away, he doesn't have to work ever again. If that's the case I'm not sure he just comes in for a paycheck. AP is very competitive. He's going to want to be the man, and bust his ass to be it. I don't see him coming in here to back up Kelly.

I'm guessing that AP is betting that if the Skins were to sign him he'd beat out anyone they have. And I think he'd be right in this situation. 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I know that I know better....but AP is still exciting even though there's no chance there's anything left.

Mediocre AP >>>> Fat Rob, all day, er day.

If anything, I bet our short yardage game will improve, maybe even redzone offense.  I don't expect him to be MVP breaking runs, that's what CT is for.

3 hours ago, TK said:

So what jersey number will AP get? You know he ain't touching 28 here. :)

23 taken, too, he's literally never worn another number (looked at his college and highschool).  Said he'd workout, whatever to make the team, bet that includes wearing a number he's never worn before.

5 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

It depends on the player and position for sure but 3-6 percent (I rounded the average to 5) are not odds bad enough to not trust Guice as the lead back right now, especially in an offense that isn’t run heavy, and especially not at a very young age of 21. I would be more concerned if he missed extended time in college due to a knee injury but this sounds like a standard torn ACL that several notable backs have come back from normally. 

I'll only accept this if we draft another running back in the 2nd round.  If you're asking me to expect Guice to stay healthy, please don't try to sell me on CT staying healthy, too.  We need either two good running backs or one great one, have to pick now, that's what we're up against. I'm nervous even if Guice comes back he won't be as good as he could be, we should be prepared for at least that.  I still want to trade CT while we can before we have to offer him a contract.

Kelley's lack of athleticism isn't even IMO his major problem, its part of the equation.  It's IMO his vision.  Lets look at this one, look at all the space if he ran to the outside.5b79f283e5a86_kelley1.thumb.png.4404e7d9efe10bff0f006642d4d03caf.png

Instead,he goes inside to the traffic.  We all remember the Rams game which was his best game, when he had daylight he strangely ran right into the defenders.  Chris Thompson in the same game, when he found day light, he took it to the house

into traffic.  He did the same on the first play, too.  On that one I'll give him a break in that there wasn't much of a hole.  And yeah there is value to pass protection and that he doesn't fumble -- but IMO he doesn't have the explosion, quick feel or vision to be a #1 RB.  Backup -- OK. 

5b79f361c1a3a_kelley3.thumb.png.f17886a5d55b94e3f3ee62b8341b7155.png

kelley#2.png

Archived