Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

Gruden has to go. We've got embarrassed twice now this year and this team will not win the division. Grudens offense has been garbage this year. The players seem to give up at times and we have over 150 yds in penalties alone today.

I don't understand how he has kept his job this long. Something needs to change. The front office and the coaching staff need to go.

It's time

The more you see how utterly unprepared and outcoached we are every other game.  Or unmotivated.  Or whatever it is that causes us to not even show up, at home, against a not very good team consistently.... the more you must think the talent must be getting this team by despite Gruden, not because of him.

Actually, it was clear 2 years ago that Gruden was nothing more than a mediocre 7-9 win coach at best.

It's possible we can still win 10 games this year. We are just 5-3 at the midway point but is team really going to go 5-3 the rest of the way?  Any team that has an offense can beat us.  Out next opponent, Tampa lost 28-42 to the Panthers.  If Tampa can score that many points next week, they probably beat us.

They longer Jay is here, the result will be the same.   We've peaked with him.  A playoff birth, if it happens, shouldn't change that.  To go beyond mediocre, we need a new coach.  Regardless of how we finish this year, everyone should see; we need to move on from Jay.

He is what he is - the very definition of middle management in a company - easy going, does his job quite well from time to time and gets on with everybody who gets a shot at the big time but then struggles and makes the same mistakes again and again. Only the fact that the bosses above are so hated means he never gets canned.

Same mistakes, players do not play for him and give up on him easily. They go down and stay down. Very very rarely do we come back to win. 

He needs to go now before it gets worse for him. 

I say let Jay finish this season but then move on from him. This team looks unprepared after bye weeks and is laughable with 2nd half adjustments. Sure, the roster is banged up, but I don't know how long you can blame mediocracy on injuries. Players get hurt all the time in this league. Great/very good coaches can adapt to that. 

Some people are better coordinators than head coaches. That might be Jay's thing.

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong and have something click in Jay that has this team looking like a legit contender, but all I've seen has this team in that 9-7 to 7-9 range.

25 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

Somebody asks him about how the team can't seem to come from behind and lose belief and asks him how they can fix this.

He mumbles about 'not getting behind'

No ideas, no difference, going nowhere.

That's basically Jay in a nutshell it seems. 

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Gruden has to go. We've got embarrassed twice now this year and this team will not win the division. Grudens offense has been garbage this year. The players seem to give up at times and we have over 150 yds in penalties alone today.

I don't understand how he has kept his job this long. Something needs to change. The front office and the coaching staff need to go.

It's time

It needs to me more than just the FO and coaches; the trainers, the nutrition people, scouts, the whole nine yards.

Every single year this team suffers huge amounts of injuries, and its not a coincidence, its what they're doing or not doing that's manufacturing these injuries. I've never seen another team go through the laundry list of injuries that this team has,

As far as scouts go, its clear they couldn't pick a good WR if their lives depended on it, but none of that matters when their coach has as much creativeness as a stalk of celery.

Also, look west; John gruden isn't doing himself any favors either; why?

Its in the genes.

14 minutes ago, Napredskins1 said:

Watching some of the Chiefs game earlier and now the Rams/ Saints game it made me think if Jay Gruden would have these offenses scoring at the same rate if he was head coach of these teams?

We had some pretty productive offenses the last couple years when we actually had a good QB.

56 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I would have loved Jay to go on a rant about the reffing. It'd be a little unprofessional and he'd get fined, but I would have supported it. Mind you, even if the refs didn't ref us we'd have still lost today, but damn did we get reffed today.

He does the same thing every brutal loss. "I don't know. Well have to watch the film." 

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

He does the same thing every brutal loss. "I don't know. Well have to watch the film." 

yeah because he doesn't throw people under the bus and doesn't want to give rash judgements.  Guys play hard for him and after 5 years, and thats saying alot.  there is no internal turmoil with this team anymore. 

1 minute ago, skinfan2k said:

yeah because he doesn't throw people under the bus and doesn't want to give rash judgements.  Guys play hard for him and after 5 years, and thats saying alot.  there is no internal turmoil with this team anymore. 

Do guys play hard for him though? So many flat, unfocused games in his history where the other team  seems like it’s playing harder. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Do guys play hard for him though? So many flat, unfocused games in his history where the other team  seems like it’s playing harder. 

Yeah.  We have overated talent.  Look at the expectations we already have for the Bama Boys.  It's unreal.  Mason Foster and Zack Brown are not good passing LBs.  This offense hasn't drafted a playmaker in years outside of Guice.  This team could have drafted a young Qb immediately after KC rejected that first tender to plan but they didnt.  This team is 5-2 and just beat GB, Carolina and Dallas.  You guys realize that going 10-6 you will lose 6 games.  

Saints just had 4th and 2 up 10 against the Rams at the 2 mi Ute warning.  Payton sacked up and went for it, got it and won the game.

100% chance Gruden would punt it and extend the game.  Probably still win on that situation.

Payton’s way is better.  

Gruden is a gutless play not to lose wonder.

23 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

There is a difference between showing emotion and simply throwing guys under the bus. 

And playing hard for him doesn't help if they seem to lack the basics too often. 

Nobody is complaining about turmoil or bad people. After 5 years your HC still struggles with clock management. How is thst even possible? 

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

There is a difference between showing emotion and simply throwing guys under the bus. 

And playing hard for him doesn't help if they seem to lack the basics too often. 

Nobody is complaining about turmoil or bad people. After 5 years your HC still struggles with clock management. How is thst even possible? 

The biggest problem is that the coaching staff fails consistently to put players in the situation to succeed.  On both sides of the ball.  We are out coached consistently.  We have too many duds.  This year, they’ve had 3 duds in 8 chances.

i don’t care about injuries.  The same guys who are always injured are injured again. It’s not an excuse anymore. Get the guys you’ve got ready to play.  

These type of performances are unacceptable. Getting blown out twice, with another bad loss against a bad Colts team.  A close, right loss against Atlanta would be fine.  But we had nothing for them today.  

Gruden is a horrifically bad play caller.  He hired the wrong people for his coaching staff consistently and his teams lack attention to detail and play undisciplined football

It was mostly true during the 3 game win streak, but was covered up because Carolina, Dallas and NYG can’t really throw the ball.

Manusky continues to like to blitz and then play a big, soft zone behind it.  This is SO stupid.  Eli and Dak just couldn’t do much about it.  Brees and Ryan just laughed and said thank you.

It’s all bad, Gruden is clueless and gutless.  It’s time for him to join his brother.

23 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

actually clock management this year hasn't  been a issue at all this year.  In fact, i think its better than ever.  Have you watched? I think its funny how minny is having clock management problems when they didnt last year

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I would have loved Jay to go on a rant about the reffing. It'd be a little unprofessional and he'd get fined, but I would have supported it. Mind you, even if the refs didn't ref us we'd have still lost today, but damn did we get reffed today.

I have family members wearing striped shirts in this league right now (others have retired sometime ago); there are still others in the college ranks, both football and basketball. I can tell you that it's puzzling that Gruden doesn't ride the officials AT ALL. He needs to show some emotion on that sideline, otherwise they're not going to respect him any more than they already do (which is quite little, I can assure you). I'm not saying today's officiating was bad, because I think the coaching and unpreparedness doomed this team from the jump today. It looked like classic opening day Gruden. You let a 3-4 team come into your home stadium with it's bottom feeding defense, and you trot out this kind of game plan? And you don't play a team coming out of its bye, and show the exact same stuff you've been doing the previous 7 weeks.........and with ZERO adjustments to what they're doing, either in-game or at the half. This is systemic with Gruden.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s all bad, Gruden is clueless and gutless.  It’s time for him to join his brother.

I think its past due. He's an excellent  OC. But question is, who would you like to be the next coach? Personally  I'll like McDaniels. Or who so ever will bring the 4-3 back to DC.

Just now, righteousbowi said:

I think its past due. He's an excellent  OC. But question is, who would you like to be the next coach? Personally  I'll like McDaniels. Or who so ever will bring the 4-3 back to DC.

No, he’s an ok OC.  Not excellent. Norv is an excellent OC and bad HC.  Jay couldn’t scheme up a running game on Cincy either.

Archived