Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

@skinny21

i hear you, but it’s been three seasons of .500 or just below in a row. At some point, that’s just his normal. It’s the Gruden reality. 

If if we had no injuries part of me thinks we get to ten wins, but part of me thinks Gruden would get lazy, his teams come out flat and we’d squander enough opportunities to still wind up at .500. 

11 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

Jay Gruden is a hard one to decide on......he's a talented coach and seems to get a little better each year.  I would not rush to fire him unless we could find a better solution.  Would not be surprised if Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson come back to DC as coordinators.

Can you point to any examples where Jay has proved to be a talented coach and getting better each year?  Serious question. 

Getting the Cincy band back together that couldn't win a playoff game in 16 years isn't exactly my idea of a good idea.  But we'll see.

Let's not kid ourselves the Skins started off at 6-3, but honestly they beat 1 team who ended up with a winning record on the year.  How many weeks do we need to see the same mis-managed clock/timeouts, the players just under performing, the circus that surrounds the players (Norman calling out the fans, DJ, etc.), and yes even the injuries, and not say hey there HC you need to get things in check.

HC is about more than just records, and HC needs to be able to motivate even 2nd and 3rd stringers to atleast play competent.  

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Can you point to any examples where Jay has proved to be a talented coach and getting better each year?  Serious question. 

Getting the Cincy band back together that couldn't win a playoff game in 16 years isn't exactly my idea of a good idea.  But we'll see.

Pretty sure both have already been here before, so i really doubt they'd come here (save us the trouble)

17 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Great  year Jay.  Final game with his job possibly on the line? Puts up the worst offensive performance in Redskins history.

Hell of a coach.  But some of us knew that 5 years ago.

Not Jays fault the QB couldnt hit the side of a building with his passes all day.

Off the street QB, off the street Oline, 32 yr old RB. Gruden was left with quite the challenge. Last game this team just gave up. So that would be the only knock on Jay, not getting them up for a meaningless game.

Paulsen made a good point on twitter that Gruden should probably get another year because a quarter of the league is looking for HC talent, and we are not an appetizing prospect for a well respected candidate.

Unless you trust the FO to find a diamond in the rough HC (I don't) hiring someone new this year likely means someone no more talented than Jay.

The smart play would be to fire Bruce, bring on a true GM with total powers, and give them the choice, but hopefully they ride with Jay until next year.  It gives Jay one more year to turn it around, while giving us a shot at top HC talent if he underperforms, with the benefit of all these teams having gone through HC searches this year and us being a little more appetizing on the market.

What will actually happen is the whole band will get back together and more than likely we end up with 5-7 wins again.  Jay gets canned but Bruce stays, and the several year long cycle begins anew.

More than likely, the next chance for real, substantive, change is going to be after landing a new stadium deal, which seems to be what keeps Bruce around.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just to be clear, you are saying it's not the Head Coach's fault that his player can't play well?

Precisely. Jays not throwing the ball. They had Johnson rolling out all day and had PLENTY of time to hit guys on the move that were open. He missed all day. Long , short , easy check downs, etc. This kid was missing even the most basic throws. Sure, Gruden signed him, but he cant play for him.

1 minute ago, Monkman56 said:

Precisely. Jays not throwing the ball. They had Johnson rolling out all day and had PLENTY of time to hit guys on the move that were open. He missed all day. Long , short , easy check downs, etc. This kid was missing even the most basic throws. Sure, Gruden signed him, but he cant play for him.

Gotcha.  So what's the excuse for all the other players sucking ass?

I mean making your players better is kind of a big part of being a coach.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just to be clear, you are saying it's not the Head Coach's fault that his player can't play well?

I think Gruden is hard to make a decision on also.  I think minus a few games we played well considering all the injuries.  The one thing that is a huge red flag is that we had Josh Johnson for a month and couldn't do anything on offense.  I watch the Panthers play this weekend and they had to play with their 3rd and 4th string QBs....one of which never threw a professional pass, and they played just fine.  That poor showing this weekend has Gruden written all over it.  However, the Skins played pretty well during this injury riddled season for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

I think Gruden is hard to make a decision on also

The decision was in based on the Colts and Saints games.  Team looked like they just found out which team they were playing that morning.  And our wins were ugly also.  I said when we were 5-2 that we were worst 5-2 team in history.  We didn't deserve that record.

21 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Not Jays fault the QB couldnt hit the side of a building with his passes all day.

Off the street QB, off the street Oline, 32 yr old RB. Gruden was left with quite the challenge. Last game this team just gave up. So that would be the only knock on Jay, not getting them up for a meaningless game.

We did a designed rollout run on 3rd and 2 with a QB that couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.  I knew it was rub, no attempt to make think it was a pass at all. And you know what Philly did? What you supposed to do, keep a mobile QB that can't throw in the pocket as much as possible.  JJ was terrible buy the play calling did him no favors and was completely unimaginative. It like was watching us think it was August or something.

In one respect, I do want Gruden to return.

As I've stated before, I think 2019 is shaping up awful. We may have no starting QBs and no money to get one. We may have no starting safeties. We may be forced to cut our best corner and tight end for cap reasons/injury reasons, and we look to part ways with Brown and a host of other good players who were just misused or underutilized because of an inflexible scheme.

Given that, I think it would be really tough to sell a top HC prospect to sign on. I think at best we'd wind up with a second tier guy. So, as much as I don't want to live through a hopeless 2019, I think the best idea is to stay the course and hope Jay either surprises the hell out of us and suddenly becomes a winner or sucks so bad that we get the draft pieces to be exciting to a top prospect.

If the Redskins can suck their way to 2-14 or 4-12 then we might just get a really good shot at a marquis rookie QB. That, combined with a really stout, young and productive D line might just be enough to entice someone to come over. It would be great if we axed Bruce in the meantime just to start the process. After all, Bruce's record does not warrant a tenth year and even if you put aside the wins, he's had enough PR blunders and alienated too many of his peers, agents, players, and fans to be trusted with the reins.

So, ultimately, I'm okay if Jay stays or goes, but if he stays I would keep his seat super-hot. Bruce, if I had any power, I'm not sure what he could point to to save his job. I'm just not sure what he's done great or even well.

Looking forward to Jay and Bruce ruining our last hope next season.  We are perfectly positioned to jettison free agents, roll over cap space, suck next year, build via the draft and get a top 5 draft pick in 2020 to get a QB.

But Jay and Bruce will screw that up in a desperate attempt to save the jobs they are both terrible at, they will wast the cap space again, lose out on comp picks and instead of going 4-12, will go 6-10 to make it seem more palatable.  

The fans desperate for mediocre rather than just acknowledging we need a rebuild will end up costing us another 2-3 years.  We would be ready to compete in 2020, but at this point it will take a miracle to have an actual good team before 2022.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

@skinny21

i hear you, but it’s been three seasons of .500 or just below in a row. At some point, that’s just his normal. It’s the Gruden reality. 

If if we had no injuries part of me thinks we get to ten wins, but part of me thinks Gruden would get lazy, his teams come out flat and we’d squander enough opportunities to still wind up at .500. 

I hear you back :)

In terms of the injuries, I don’t think it’s that we can’t overcome any injuries, but the way they come about is crippling.  It’s not just losing the starting rb, qb, RG, etc., it’s losing 2 qbs, 4 (or more?) guards, etc.  

I said the same thing last year (which is it’s own concern) - we had the depth to lose our LT, LOLB, top corner, receiver, etc.  In other words, the typical top talents on a team.  We lost Nsheke before the season, Trent went down and came back injured, and Moses was ailing much of the season.

We didn’t have depth at DT and lost Allen and Io (he came back, but was injured).  I lost track of the ILBs we lost.  On the flip side, we lost Breeland for a time, and then Norman for a time and were fine.  You know, typical injury situation.  

My point - we usually can withstand injuries, just not multiple injuries at a few spots. 

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Looking forward to Jay and Bruce ruining our last hope next season.  We are perfectly positioned to jettison free agents, roll over cap space, suck next year, build via the draft and get a top 5 draft pick in 2020 to get a QB.

But Jay and Bruce will screw that up in a desperate attempt to save the jobs they are both terrible at, they will wast the cap space again, lose out on comp picks and instead of going 4-12, will go 6-10 to make it seem more palatable.  

The fans desperate for mediocre rather than just acknowledging we need a rebuild will end up costing us another 2-3 years.  We would be ready to compete in 2020, but at this point it will take a miracle to have an actual good team before 2022.

Yep! This team needs to crash and burn next year to get a high pick, especially if the QBs are suppose to be good. Unfortunately, this team will win a meaningless game or two to finish with 6 wins, fall in love with a QB and then trade a ton of picks to get their guy. 

I think it's funny that everyone expects to tank next year and land a good prospect.  Our first rounder next year is going to Philly because we are going to trade next 2 years worth of first rounders for Nick Foles.

Come on it's the Redskins do you really think this won't happen?

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I hear you back :)

In terms of the injuries, I don’t think it’s that we can’t overcome any injuries, but the way they come about is crippling.  It’s not just losing the starting rb, qb, RG, etc., it’s losing 2 qbs, 4 (or more?) guards, etc.  

I said the same thing last year (which is it’s own concern) - we had the depth to lose our LT, LOLB, top corner, receiver, etc.  In other words, the typical top talents on a team.  We lost Nsheke before the season, Trent went down and came back injured, and Moses was ailing much of the season.

We didn’t have depth at DT and lost Allen and Io (he came back, but was injured).  I lost track of the ILBs we lost.  On the flip side, we lost Breeland for a time, and then Norman for a time and were fine.  You know, typical injury situation.  

My point - we usually can withstand injuries, just not multiple injuries at a few spots. 

Yeah, I think we ran through 89 different guards this season. That's insane and should not be overcomeable. Heck, it shouldn't be possible that every guard winds up getting hurt and IRed. Still, some of that was forseeable. Who didn't know Lovaou was going to get hurt and wind up on IR? Who thought relying on Arie before he go IRed to be our starting guard was a good idea?

I will say the fact that we had any semblance of a functioning oline is a testament to Callahan. Hell of an underappreciated job there.

I don't know if it's something in the water, the training, or if we've angered someone up high, but sheesh!

Watching Jays interview a couple of things:

He doesnt even know if he is going to be fired. Hasnt spoken to Snyder yet. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? Home game. Blown out by a rival, and you havent spoken with the owner yet?

He wants Jordan Reed back here. I dont know how you can bring him back at that cap number. He cant stay on the field. 

My take? This franchise is the very definition of a clown show.

Archived