Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

I guess i am the minority that actually likes Jay... he has his faults but i think we would have been even worse without him based on talent Jay had to work with his first 3 years...

let Jay truely pick his QB this offseason and lets see how it goes....  

all of the pessimist that is bashing Jay.... you think this front office is capable of picking the right coach???  Ummm i say its a risky situation!

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As for him, my god the final 2 plays of the game were just unbelievable to me. I sat there dumbfounded in shock at the bomb on third down.  Literally the only value that play has is to get a PI call.  Even if he catches that, do they have enough time to get up there and spike it? Because Doctson is probably not getting OB.  Then to attempt a 63 yards because Hops said he could make it? Really?  You’ve seen dude kick, his career long is 56.  I just cannot wrap my head around the entire sequence and how it transpired.

Those last 2 plays were indicative of an all or nothing mentality.  He could've called a better play on 3rd down to get the 1st down or get closer and get out of bounds.  This was not about playing to win to the game but more about hoping to win.  There's a saying that is that more games are lost than are won.  Gruden simply didn't put his team in a position to win and relied on pure pure luck instead of coaching and strategy.  

4 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Those last 2 plays were indicative of an all or nothing mentality.  He could've called a better play on 3rd down to get the 1st down or get closer and get out of bounds.  This was not about playing to win to the game but more about hoping to win.  There's a saying that is that more games are lost than are won.  Gruden simply didn't put his team in a position to win and relied on pure pure luck instead of coaching and strategy.  

But why? You put all this time and effort into preparing for a game, spend hours in the film room looking for weaknesses in your opponent, your team fights their guts out for 59 minutes, people’s legs are breaking in half, you come back from a crushing pick 6, and after ALL of that all you need is a field goal to win it... and you just hand it over to luck. Why???

Ugh. 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Everything else.  Can they keep the defense together, what about the play calls, do the game plans look respectable.  I mean, if he makes the playoffs still, you have to keep him, I don't care how much some of ya'll hate his guts.  He's winning with toothpicks and marshmellows on offense.

The secret is out.

The LBers are too slow. Yea, they're good for run support but not in passing downs, they're always 5 yds away, waiting for them to catch the ball before tackling them. We had a 1 point lead, and what happens? They leave a 3rd string TE all alone, not within 10 yds of him, and what happens, he gets the ball and gets a first down.

This defense seems to be playing big play defense; don'tr let them beat you deep, so give them the under stuff, which they take and create first downs with. Manusky's zone crap is just that; crap.

28 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

The secret is out.

The LBers are too slow. Yea, they're good for run support but not in passing downs, they're always 5 yds away, waiting for them to catch the ball before tackling them. We had a 1 point lead, and what happens? They leave a 3rd string TE all alone, not within 10 yds of him, and what happens, he gets the ball and gets a first down.

This defense seems to be playing big play defense; don'tr let them beat you deep, so give them the under stuff, which they take and create first downs with. Manusky's zone crap is just that; crap.

You're being too hard on them, at least this game.  We were all over Watson today, his worst game since his slow start.

image.png.91a25be5b43625b9b2991b8bb1eb0d19.png

I was going to start a thread about how our pass defense had dropped into the bottom part of the standings, but 7 of Houston's points came on a pick 6.  For an offense as hot as Houston's was, they did a damn good job today, just not enough to win.

19 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

The last second plays aside, the fact that Gruden let seconds run off all the way to 2 minute warning shows that he is a doofus that is completely unaware of the game situation.

Works out that cost us around 20 seconds of clock time all told. Unforgivable mistake in his position. Pretty dumb.

I want to know what the playcall was on the play when Smith was injured. I’ve mentioned all season that we never seem to call plays to exploit pressure and it seemed clear Texans were going to bring it. Ball should have been out quickly and instead Smith runs backwards and gets destroyed.

And yes I am implying Gruden could be partially responsible for what happened to Smith. If you don’t call plays to keep your QB out of potential trouble when he has been getting sacked ALL game you’re responsible.

11 minutes ago, PotomacGator said:

I want to know what the playcall was on the play when Smith was injured. I’ve mentioned all season that we never seem to call plays to exploit pressure and it seemed clear Texans were going to bring it. Ball should have been out quickly and instead Smith runs backwards and gets destroyed.

And yes I am implying Gruden could be partially responsible for what happened to Smith. If you don’t call plays to keep your QB out of potential trouble when he has been getting sacked ALL game you’re responsible.

Lost our QB and 3 points (which was enough for the win) in 5 seconds. Quick draw or get it out

19 minutes ago, PotomacGator said:

A veteran QB should have the ability to recognize the blitz, audible out or at least get rid of the ball. Or even fall down immediately. You would think...

The Rams/Chiefs/Saints seem to be so far ahead of the league.  Is this primarily a function of scheme/philosophy?  Spread elements and college concepts?  NFL rules favor the offense and more precisely the passing offense.  Clearly there is great talent on their rosters but Jeff Fisher proved to what extent it can be squandered.   

Brees is incredible. Maybe Mahomes is the next GOAT?  Goff is the next Montana, he just needed a year to acclimate to the league?  And they all have elite talent at the skill positions?   Tre'Quan Smith a 3rd round rookie steps into the line up and lights it up for the Saints.  Josh Reynolds a 2nd year 4th rounder replaces Kupp and the Rams don't miss a beat.  

Seems an uphill battle if you are not playing to the rules.  The meta has shifted.  I don't think Jay is to far off schematically and McVay has provided the blueprint.  Philosophically do we need an update?  Callahan/Cavanaugh are  too old school?  Obviously Alex Smith doesn't fit the mold.  Copycat league. 

Do we stubbornly stick with the Defense/Run first/Conservative identity instead?  November and December cold weather elements will favor old school philosophy and shift the advantage in our favor?  Ball control, Punch them in the face mentality.

This is a huge game for a Gruden. Win it, with a backup QB, and basically lock up the division, with a sweep of Dallas.

Big game.  I feel good about he game for some reason.  Let’s see what happens.  

Also, I don’t think Colt is an excuse for Gruden.  Gruden has consistently gone out of his way to say he thinks he can win with Colt. 

I always feel like all I input is Notre Dame stuff but I want to keep jay I feel the guys respond to him...  what I would do if I were the skins is hire chip long the Irish OC...  and do what mcvay did and hire a clock management guy like “ the anointed one” mcvay did...

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is a huge game for a Gruden. Win it, with a backup QB, and basically lock up the division, with a sweep of Dallas.

Big game.  I feel good about he game for some reason.  Let’s see what happens.  

Also, I don’t think Colt is an excuse for Gruden.  Gruden has consistently gone out of his way to say he thinks he can win with Colt. 

Winning Thursday would in no way “basically lock up the division”. Eagles could win Sunday against the giants, then bam, 1 game behind us. And we all know how we perform on MNF....

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Winning Thursday would in no way “basically lock up the division”. Eagles could win Sunday against the giants, then bam, 1 game behind us. And we all know how we perform on MNF....

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Eagles twice is the the key if we lose thanksgiving which I know we do we have to sweep the iggles 

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

John Keim nailed it right.

Yea I think its a little more complicated than hiring a coach off the menu selection in Madden. That being said, I know the players like Gruden, they play hard for him, at least the ones who can suit up, not knocking them by any means. He's just been riddled by the injury bug the last two season, and thankfully it hasn't hit our defense like it did last year.  You look at games like the Saints game last year that they should have won despite the fact they were missing so many guys, than the win in Seattle, and this year winning in TB after signing 3 Olineman off the street. 

I'm not jumping off his bandwagon. 

14 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The Eagles are 4-6 now.  They have the Rams and Texans on the schedule, in addition to the 'Skins twice, Dallas and Giants.  They won't get more than 8 wins this year, and that's not even for sure. 

If the 'Skins win to get to 7-5, they will have essentially a 3 game lead against the Cowboys with 5 to play (2 games up in the standing + the sweep which is essentially a game because Dallas would have to finish 1 game up on the 'Skins due to the head-to-head tiebreaker), and most likely the ability to get to 9 wins against the Eagles twice, Giants, Titans and Jags. 

Sure, it's POSSIBLE that they win on Thanksgiving and then go 1-4 down the stretch to finish at 8-8, and allow either Dallas or the Eagles to catch them.  In which case Dan should fire Bruce and Jay in a public ceremony in the parking lot after the finale.  But I don't see that as likely.

If they win on Thursday, they basically have the division locked up, all they have to do is go 2-3 the rest of the way and it's there's. 

On 11/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, sjinhan said:

I guess i am the minority that actually likes Jay... he has his faults but i think we would have been even worse without him based on talent Jay had to work with his first 3 years...

let Jay truely pick his QB this offseason and lets see how it goes....  

all of the pessimist that is bashing Jay.... you think this front office is capable of picking the right coach???  Ummm i say its a risky situation!

Well stay in the minority 

Jay needs firing.  It’s time.  Bruce too.

Heres the thing: can anybody honestly say that Jay maximizes the talent he is Given on a regular basis?  The answer is no.  Actually almost never.

Its time.  

Hes a gutless wonder.  And they lost tonight not because of injuries or because of Colt or because of the refs.

They lost because they can’t do the little things well.  They have no urgency.  They have a bad plan.  And they were out coached by Jason ****ing Garrett.

Jay needs fired.  I’d prefer tonight to get it done with but I’ll take after heynare elimimated from the playoffs. 

Archived