Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

25 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Monday night is a big test for Gruden not because of playoff implications, but because of how his teams always come off as flat and unprepared following bye-weeks, prime time games or half-byes. 

The skins in’s have had half a week more than the Eagles to come up with a plan and correct some weaknesses. 

Will we be sharp or blah?

We will be well below BLAHHHH. I will be surprised if we are still in this game by the 2nd quarter. I cannot wait until after this game because J"oke" Gruden will be unemployed. 

Just tank the season for picks and then time to look for a young aggressive HC. Or trade for McBae <3. We already know what we have at HC currently, why do we need to wait any longer? Fire Gruden Now.

3 hours ago, LMFAO Alex Smith said:

We will be well below BLAHHHH. I will be surprised if we are still in this game by the 2nd quarter. I cannot wait until after this game because J"oke" Gruden will be unemployed. 

Just tank the season for picks and then time to look for a young aggressive HC. Or trade for McBae <3. We already know what we have at HC currently, why do we need to wait any longer? Fire Gruden Now.

“Why wait any longer”? Umm....maybe because of the fact we are still VERY MUCH in the playoff race (Division title AND wildcard as well). Come the **** on. Firing him NOW would be the stupidest thing Snyder has done. 

I have very little faith in Gruden fielding a properly prepared team for this Eagles game. I have no doubt that the players in general like him as a guy as he seems easy to get along with and a "players' coach" kinda person. I also think he has a really good mind for play design. But we've come out completely flat too many times and he always has clock management issues, play calling issues, and just looks lost way too often. Then his "aw shucks, I dunno, I'll have to look at the tape" responses after a shellacking drive me nuts too. 

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

As much as it disappoints me, I think Gruden survives, as does Bruce Allen. Losing both our QBs + half our O-Line is going to shield them from all their previous mistakes.

Yeah, this is a season lost to injury.  

But....it’s also a pretty good time to clean house and rebuild.  5 years is enough.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, this is a season lost to injury.  

But....it’s also a pretty good time to clean house and rebuild.  5 years is enough.

I wish, but at the same time, we have Alex Smith's injury bogging us down for next season. So basically, a full lame duck season next year too. I have no hopes of convincing a coach to come to a team with a cesspool front office, and a QB who may or may not have a career ending injury.

Defense is so unprepared. The game plan is such crap. No weaknesses are ever addressed. Yeah, we can make excuses on offense, but it looks like the only thing that saved Gruden was Alex Smith's hyper conservative play.

Gruden could have chosen Vic Fangio. He could have chosen Wade Phillips. Instead, Gruden chose Haslett, Barry, and Manusky. Manusky seems to be the defensive coordinator version of Jim Zorn. Zorn had a pretty good Plan A, but once Plan A was figured out, he was done. Sadly, that seems true of Manusky too.

The team since we were at 6-3 has gone to crap.

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Every coach has failed under Danny. Remember that. Gruden actually fared better than most if not all.

Fire Danny too.

On a serious note, a wholesale change is probably due. Gruden seems to have a ceiling of 9-7, but is really a 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 kinda coach. Bruce Allen is worse. We have had two good drafts so if we have an up and comer... elevate him, but blow it up.

Is it possible Adrian Peterson can have a 90 yard run and still not crack 100 for the day?  Is it possible that Adrian Peterson can have a 90 yard run in a game, but doesn't crack a hundred in a game that all the way up to the start of the fourth quarter was a 1 point game?

You know when you hear "So and So is going to target this player" and it works for a few plays, but then the team adjusts.  Our opponents target our weak spots, but zero adjustments are made.  It just goes on and on and on the entire game.

2nd half play calling was abysmal.  Comes out of the half with 2 straight runs.  

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

You know when you hear "So and So is going to target this player" and it works for a few plays, but then the team adjusts.  Our opponents target our weak spots, but zero adjustments are made.  It just goes on and on and on the entire game.

2nd half play calling was abysmal.  Comes out of the half with 2 straight runs.  

Who knows how many plays Sanchez even knows how to run at this point since he was acquired on 11/19 and the Skins were busy trying to get the rust off McCoy.

Archived