Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Isn't the plan to have Gibson and McKissic flex out to slot often?

While it does include slot play, Gibson has his own defined role in our offense.

To remove him from his own role, to plug a potential Sims vacancy would be creating another hole. Not ideal when I can have him and discount Sims in the form of Quinn on the field together. If I was going along that line of thinking, I’d be confident that McL could fill in, but why would we do that when we don’t have to.

The ideal fill in is a back-up, and someone who won’t be a featured piece in this offense like Gibson.

JD is a RB. While he can motion out to the slot from time to time, I don’t want him there full time in the event of a Sims injury.

4 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Trey Quinn should not be on this team. I know everyone was hoping he would be our Julian Edelman

I don’t think anyone here is of that mindset. It would be hard to find someone who even believes he should start over Sims, let alone becoming Edleman. He is simply a back-up player who offers several years of experience and has special teams capabilities. Looking over his competition at the bottom of the roster:

Cam Sims: He of 2 rec

Wright: UDFA

Kidsy/Weah/Veasy: Who?

Lattimer: Not even here

Harmon: Can he play on crutches?

Its not hard to envision Quinn outlasting these guys. Beating the “he needs to be cut” drum seems a bit too premature. I have him easily on our PS, especially since it is expanded this year.

Unless you seriously plan on replacing his roster spot with the ghost of Malcom Kelly (Zombie can hook you up with his numby) we have nothing at the position depth wise.  

• Like 1

If S-Sims gets time outside, then it probably means some slot time for Quinn if he can credibly play the position.  He has to at least be someone who has to be covered.  (That's a low bar, but still.)  If Quinn can be a decent one-trick slot pony, if that trick is faking an inside move so well that Quinn actually beats his man on a go route, you're looking at at least 15-20 yards and Quinn's clearly on the team.  And no one would be picking him up until well down-field because he's just assumed to be a non-factor beyond a certain point, but there is all of a sudden and he's hauling in a bullet from Haskins who sees that fake and knows exactly what he's going to do.  He doesn't have to be *good*.  He just has to not be worse than the next guy and offer one thing that you're willing to be patient for and exploit at the right opportunity.  Joe Gibbs made his living keeping his options open knowing that sometimes things develop in a game or the other side makes a simple, but critical, mistake at the wrong time, you were patient enough to wait for it, and the momentum changes as you start making plays.

15 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not against NFL off coverage. NFL DB transition game is on a different level.  The reason Trey Quinn won on that first route is because he successfully sold the short out and caught that DB wanting to sit on it.  Quinn fooled him.

Quinn has some patience and subtlety in his route-running.  It's better than I thought.  Problem for him is he's not big and he's not fast.  It is really hard to make it in this league if you don't have something physically that you can do better than most of the guys covering you.  But our WR corps is so bad and so inexperienced that he's going to get chances to play here.

But that's my point. If it's timed well and the receiver runs the correct route as it's designed to be run, any receiver should win that battle regardless of size or speed. The NFL rules have made it so. Personally IMO route running is the single most important trait for a successful receiver with ball tracking a close second. Everything else is really a dime a dozen there's always gonna be big guys and always going to be fast guys but it seems the more cerebral guys are always the overachievers.

12 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

ts not hard to envision Quinn outlasting these guys. Beating the “he needs to be cut” drum seems a bit too premature. I have him easily on our PS, especially since it is expanded this year.

I would have rather brought in someone with experience from the outside than rely on Quinn. He's essentially useless on Special Teams even if his heart is in it. This team needs an older presence the way AP was that for RB. If Latimer can't go it's mindboggling to think of Trey as the elder statesman of that group. Chris Hogan would have been a great signing. I'm still on board with the idea of bring Demaryious Thomas in. Right now the lack of experience is what's going to hurt them the most.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I would have rather brought in someone with experience from the outside than rely on Quinn.

They drafted two guys. They brought in two vets in the form of Inman and Lattimer. They tried to get Cooper.

This team has worked at upgrading the WR corps, but the best ability is availability. Lattimer can’t contribute right now. Cooper is not on the team. Harmon is hurt. AG is going to split time elsewhere and AGG is likely an outside threat only at this point. Quinn is quietly sitting there, able and ready to go.

If the argument is to bring in other guys, sure. (Josh Gordon is available, but he is dealing with his own things) I’m just focused on what we currently have on the roster. When I look at the scraps at the end of our depth chart, I don’t see anyone capable of knocking Quinn off of this team. At this point he is a brain... er... bird in the hand.

I may have lost an eyeball last week but I still have 20/ vision in my remaining one. Until we bolster our corps with new talent, I don’t SEE Quinn going anywhere. (Zombie Pun)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

They drafted two guys. They brought in two vets in the form of Inman and Lattimer. They tried to get Cooper.

This team has worked at upgrading the WR corps, but the best ability is availability. Lattimer can’t contribute right now. Cooper is not on the team. Harmon is hurt. AG is going to split time elsewhere and AGG is likely an outside threat only at this point. Quinn is quietly sitting there, able and ready to go.

If the argument is to bring in other guys, sure. (Josh Gordon is available, but he is dealing with his own things) I’m just focused on what we currently have on the roster. When I look at the scraps at the end of our depth chart, I don’t see anyone capable of knocking Quinn off of this team. At this point he is a brain... er... bird in the hand.

I may have lost an eyeball last week but I still have 20/ vision in my remaining one. Until we bolster our corps with new talent, I don’t SEE Quinn going anywhere. (Zombie Pun)

I agree and it’s unfortunate because Quinn sucks. He’s not above average in anything. Quickness, top speed, etc. His catch radius on a scale of 1 to 10 is T-Rex. He almost can’t run an out route because he doesn’t create separation and if you put the ball out in front he can’t reach out to get it. He’s available for now but the dude has missed 17/32 possible games and hasn’t shown much when available so his durability is a question too. He’s a garbage punt returner that is only capable of catching the ball and not actually gaining any field position. 

This was a guy I was somewhat excited about a year ago but now I know what he is. You’re right that based on the current situation he will make the team but I hope we don’t have to rely on him seeing the field much if at all this year. 

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I forgot about Inman actually so i'm fine with it. 

On 8/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

We still have 5 ; any of which could conceivably make the team.

Not sure how you meant that ; But we may be thin on talent, but not thin on bodies.

Baugh

Hentges

Thomas

Rodgers

Sprinkle

I've been hearing rumblings about Baugh and I'm really interested in Hentges and if he can progress from some positives last year. 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:17 PM, CTskin said:

About the same thinness. We’re throwing **** at the wall for the TE position and that one didn’t stick.

Honestly, I would look at bringing in Delanie Walker for a spell. I think a little veteran leadership at TE as well as a one year stopgap is needed. No one on the roster now is a long term solution.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Honestly, I would look at bringing in Delanie Walker for a spell. I think a little veteran leadership at TE as well as a one year stopgap is needed. No one on the roster now is a long term solution.

I wouldn't hate that at all.  If nothing else he gives you more vet leadership than Sprinkle.  1 year deal, 2nd year team option... 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:44 AM, GothSkinsFan said:

If S-Sims gets time outside, then it probably means some slot time for Quinn if he can credibly play the position.  He has to at least be someone who has to be covered.  (That's a low bar, but still.)  If Quinn can be a decent one-trick slot pony, if that trick is faking an inside move so well that Quinn actually beats his man on a go route, you're looking at at least 15-20 yards and Quinn's clearly on the team.  And no one would be picking him up until well down-field because he's just assumed to be a non-factor beyond a certain point, but there is all of a sudden and he's hauling in a bullet from Haskins who sees that fake and knows exactly what he's going to do.  He doesn't have to be *good*.  He just has to not be worse than the next guy and offer one thing that you're willing to be patient for and exploit at the right opportunity.  Joe Gibbs made his living keeping his options open knowing that sometimes things develop in a game or the other side makes a simple, but critical, mistake at the wrong time, you were patient enough to wait for it, and the momentum changes as you start making plays.

I agree....I would think Quinn would be a great option for a young QB like DH, sure handed, shorter routes, safety valve type of receiver. Guys like Quinn can be very valuable if they can be great route runners. Think Cole Beasley who had a great year with young Josh Allen in Buffalo. 

On 8/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

We still have 5 ; any of which could conceivably make the team.

Not sure how you meant that ; But we may be thin on talent, but not thin on bodies.

Baugh

Hentges

Thomas

Rodgers

Sprinkle

I've heard Thomas is the starter, and looking pretty good, and is a BIG dude.

Baugh is apparently impressing.  Sprinkle, according to reporters, is mostly running with the 3's and not really distinguishing himself doing it.  

I have actually not heard beans about Hentges or Rodgers.  

My gut tells me we carry Thomas, Baugh and somebody not on the roster.  Or the 3rd TE is the best special teams player of the remaining TEs.  And might be released/exchanged for a better model at any point.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've heard Thomas is the starter, and looking pretty good, and is a BIG dude.

Baugh is apparently impressing.  Sprinkle, according to reporters, is mostly running with the 3's and not really distinguishing himself doing it.  

I have actually not heard beans about Hentges or Rodgers.  

My gut tells me we carry Thomas, Baugh and somebody not on the roster.  Or the 3rd TE is the best special teams player of the remaining TEs.  And might be released/exchanged for a better model at any point.  

I mentioned this somewhere else, but Rivera was talking about Tight Ends, and what each of them had to offer, uniquely.

And he said that Sprinkle was the "most stout" of all the Tight Ends.

The only way I know to interpret that is, he likes him as a blocker. And we need at least one of those at TE, so maybe he's the 3rd.

I said when we signed Thomas he would be our starter and I think he can be a real pleasant surprise. I’m interested in his development and him learning the nuances of the position. I don’t know much about Baugh but he seems to be more of a hback and Sprinkle is our only true size TE besides Rodgers. If he can somewhat develop his hands a bit he will be our #3 TE. Rodgers is a vet who could be insurance and Hentges is still a development guy. 

Thats my take on the TE group. 

In the very limited time we’ve seen them on the field, I kinda liked Cam Sims and Kidsy.  No guarantees either one even makes the team, but color me intrigued if they grabbed one of the #4-6 spots.  Speaking of Kidsy... been a quiet camp so far, no?