Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movie characters you can't stand

Spaceman Spiff

Ferris Bueller - annoying little brat who abuses his friends and is basically a jerk to everyone he meets.  

William Wallace in braveheart.  Just not believable.  Can’t not see drunk racist nazi sympathizer.  

Arbogast from Psycho.  The detective.  The movie is basically perfect in every way except when he starts his rambling soliloquies.  Takes me out of it every time.

10 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

William Wallace in braveheart.  Just not believable.  Can’t not see drunk racist nazi sympathizer.  

This just reminded me, his character in The Patriot was absolutely vomit inducing.  What an asshole!

8 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I've spent half my life trying to decide if Godfather III is secretly fantastic or the wreck everyone believes it is. I don't think the disaster in that is Sofia Coppola, though she was obviously asked to do too much. The problem is Talia Shire's Connie. She transformed from naïve girl to alcoholic disaster to the freakin' Godmother without any explanation. Michael's daughter was poorly acted. Connie was poorly conceived, executed, acted, costumed, etc

Connie returns to Michael in Part 2, begs forgiveness while admitting her mistakes and says she wants to take care of Michael from now on, especially with their mother passing away. It makes sense that she would slide into the matriarch role of “the family” over the next 30 years and why she had more influence than Vito’s wife ever did. Simply, Michael kept her in the loop on things which is shown in Part 3. 

I actually like Part 3, the story and conclusion is done fine and fitting, though the entire Catholic Church corruption stuff is probably the most boring aspect of the trilogy. Just didn’t care for Sofia Coppola 

In fairness, EVERYONE was terrible in the SW prequels. Lucas could turn water into wood. Even Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson were boring.

It's more of an acting rather than character issue, but Keanu Reeves was beyond cheeseballs in Dracula. Put Russell Crowe or Johnny Depp in there, and the movie is a classic.

12 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I always hated Sullivan in the Departed. Man he was an unlikable slimy piece of ****. 

That is a seriously under-rated movie, not a Leo fan but that movie is excellent. And 100% on Sullivan, guy has it all and yet is totten to his core. In the wnd you like Jack’s murderous gangster character better. And when that door opens...oh the look of resignation on his face....yummy.

I actually thought the weakest character in The Departed was Nicholson's Whitey Bulger knock-off. He played him as a loony psychopath/Batman villain right up to the point that he essentially goes on a suicide mission at the end. I'm supposed to believe that this lunatic ran Boston for 40 years and controlled both the FBI and the state police?

47 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That is a seriously under-rated movie, not a Leo fan but that movie is excellent. And 100% on Sullivan, guy has it all and yet is totten to his core. In the wnd you like Jack’s murderous gangster character better. And when that door opens...oh the look of resignation on his face....yummy.

Did win an Oscar for best picture. director and had a 90% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes.

13 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Connie returns to Michael in Part 2, begs forgiveness while admitting her mistakes and says she wants to take care of Michael from now on, especially with their mother passing away. It makes sense that she would slide into the matriarch role of “the family” over the next 30 years and why she had more influence than Vito’s wife ever did. Simply, Michael kept her in the loop on things which is shown in Part 3. 

I actually like Part 3, the story and conclusion is done fine and fitting, though the entire Catholic Church corruption stuff is probably the most boring aspect of the trilogy. Just didn’t care for Sofia Coppola 

I get that this is the intent with Connie, but that's a hell of a lot of telling and not showing. We are expected to accept that naïve, bitter, and somewhat stupid Connie basically gave up her own life to slowly morph into some kind of underboss/consigliere while at the same time Michael - who was not a progressive on women's issues to say the least - let her do it.

I loved Andy Garcia in that movie, and I thought the idea of Sonny's love child was a cool one. It would also make sense for Connie to be the one to bring him into Michael's good graces. But, by the end, she is making him boss and ordering hits and all kinds of crazy stuff. It seems pretty obvious that when Duvall refused the movie, a whole bunch of Tom Hagen stuff got dumped on Connie, and it made little sense.

I will never understand how Winona Ryder dropping out left Coppola in such a fix that he had to cast his daughter in what is pretty much the female lead. Christ, dye Bridget Fonda's hair and give her the role.

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I actually thought the weakest character in The Departed was Nicholson's Whitey Bulger knock-off. He played him as a loony psychopath/Batman villain right up to the point that he essentially goes on a suicide mission at the end. I'm supposed to believe that this lunatic ran Boston for 40 years and controlled both the FBI and the state police?

I think Jack has been not just over-rated, but usually downright bad, in almost everything he has done since some time in the 70s.    (and all his stuff back in the 60s/70s was great)

8 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

I think Jack has been not just over-rated, but usually downright bad, in almost everything he has done since some time in the 70s.    (and all his stuff back in the 60s/70s was great)

It's not a great movie, but Hoffa in 1992 was the last time he actually tried to play a character and not just some version of "Jack." That could still be pretty entertaining of course.

Weirdly, I think he actually tried to play a character in The Departed. It just happened to be an alien whose only vision of earth's culture was an aged videotape of the original "Little Shop of Horrors" and an old copy of Swank.

Archived