Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movie characters you can't stand

Spaceman Spiff

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Everyone in Mama Mia!  **** me, they're remaking it.

Another one from a sneaky bad movie that aged horribly: The Italian Job.  Mark Wahlberg's character is such a Marty Stu numbnuts.

You watched  the first one in the first place?  You shouldn't even remember  it exists, let alone rate it haa

31 minutes ago, JCB said:

Predicto is dead to me.

Do not impugn the artistry of the Swayze. The Swayze-fecta (as it's known in JCB Manor) is peerless. Red Dawn, Road House, Point Break.

KNOW THAT 

I want you to be nice until it’s time to not be nice.

3 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Platoon and Wall Street were good, as well as Salvador.  But yeah, rest of his movies sucked.  Him and M Night Shyamalan must have taken the same class in film school called "How to make two or three good movies, then suck the rest of your career" 

Well since we can't stay on topic.... Any Given Sunday is a kick ass movie.  Definitely 15-20 years ahead of it's time dealing with brain issues and football.  

1 hour ago, Predicto said:

I want you to be nice until it’s time to not be nice.

For someone who hates Roadhouse you sure seem to be able to nail quotes from it.

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

For someone who hates Roadhouse you sure seem to be able to nail quotes from it.

Some traumas stick with you forever

it's like terrible Bob Seger lyrics, you can't forget them no matter how much you desperately want to.

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Platoon and Wall Street were good, as well as Salvador.  But yeah, rest of his movies sucked.  Him and M Night Shyamalan must have taken the same class in film school called "How to make two or three good movies, then suck the rest of your career" 

I thought Shyamallama actually made another decent one with Split.

13 hours ago, Predicto said:

You are only saying that because you look just like him

I have more and better hair.

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Since we're killing sacred cows, I can't stand Martin Scorsese movies.  He can't tell a story to save his life and every damn one of his movies is wildly overrated.  One of the worst "great directors" of the past 50 years.  Unless people still think Oliver Stone movies are anything other than absolute garbage.

At some point, I'm going to need proof that you can actually tie your shoes.

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At some point, I'm going to need proof that you can actually tie your shoes.

Cohen Brothers.  Werner Herzog.  Alfred Hitch****.  Alfonso Cuaron, Wes Anderson.  Alejandro Inarritu.  David O Russell.  ****, even Spielberg.  Those are great directors who can tell a story.  Scorsese can't hold any of their jocks.

Every "good" Martin Scorsese film is a great performance wasted in a beautifully shot but utterly phony and pointless movie.

Departed is actually a great example of how overrated "good" Scorsese movies are.  It was full of a ridiculously talented cast playing dumb characters who behave in stylized and nonsensical ways, fumbling through a ponderous story to an aimless conclusion.  It was contrived and cliche and an example of Scorsese trying to do a genre that truly great directors have done far better.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cohen Brothers.  Werner Herzog.  Alfred Hitch****.  Alfonso Cuaron, Wes Anderson.  Alejandro Inarritu.  David O Russell.  ****, even Spielberg.  Those are great directors who can tell a story.  Scorsese can't hold any of their jocks.

Every "good" Martin Scorsese film is a great performance wasted in a beautifully shot but utterly phony and pointless movie.

You're complaining about overly stylized directing while citing Wes Anderson and the Cohen Brothers as good examples the other way?

I mean, I like everyone on your list, but that's a weird argument.

17 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You're complaining about overly stylized directing while citing Wes Anderson and the Cohen Brothers as good examples the other way?

I mean, I like everyone on your list, but that's a weird argument.

Their stylization is conscious, and the medium of their artistic/storytelling vision.  It's interesting.  Scorsese's stylization is Old Hollywood cliche.  It's something he defaults too because he's not a good storyteller.  I can suspend my disbelief during Grand Budapest Hotel and O Brother Where Art Thou because I get immersed in their art and style and the characters proceed to behave in ways that are both interesting and hew to the logic of the world and narrative they've created.  In The Aviator, I can't.  I see superfluous action without real narrative intent.  I see clumsy writing.

I think Scorsese is a brilliant technician and visual artist who just doesn't have the narrative chops to create original and great films.  I feel a very similar way about Terrence Malick and Paul Thomas Anderson, except that I like Anderson's visual poetry and atmosphere better.

Fabienne (Butch's gf) in Pulp Fiction.  Everything about her character is terrible.  Nothing she says is interesting.  And she serves no real purpose in the story.  The only things she contributes are a setup for Butch to say "Zed's dead, baby.  Zed's dead."  and the plot device of being the one to forget the watch so he has to go back to the apartment.

She's so terrible she almost single-handedly ruins a decade-defining movie.

Cq2C2O7VIAEgsTd.jpg

This is not a "can't stand" character. It's more of a "not sure why they are there" character.

Connie Nielson's character in Gladiator. I've seen the movie once a year since it's been released, and I still honestly don't know if she and Maximus used to bang. Even if they did, he's not into her now. The incest stuff with her brother just seems to be there to make the really terrible guy even worse. She has a son who never really seems to interact with her.

My theory is that script was written, and they realized that they had a three hour movie where not one woman had a speaking line. So, they went back and tried to clean it up.

I'm not a huge fan of Jewey Jewenstein, the Jewish soldier who is Jewish in Saving Private Ryan. In a movie where - after the opening scene - every character and every image on screen was a stand-in for something else, Adam Goldberg's character was a tad over the top.

(And, yes, I realize that I've mentioned two overtly Jewish characters so far, and, yes, I'm going to do some self-examination tonight. Happy Purim).

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

There was some good stuff. Tom Sizemore is awesome. (Tom Sizemore is usually awesome when he's not shooting heroin into his penis while smoking crack).

These are things I don't want to imagine, and now I can't unsee them.

Speaking of Vin Diesel movies, all three of the female "good guys" in xXx 3 were cringey and lame.  Yes, yes I realize it's a dumbass movie and why am I expecting anything from it?  But I'm a man and I'm allowed to enjoy it.  Anyway, you can tell that they actually tried with the three female good guys.  They wanted to have strong and likeable women.  But the screenwriter was just way too much of a tool to ever pull that off.  They are the wish fulfillment characters of a clever 11 year old girl.  Ruby Rose's character was particularly awful.  Poor Nina Dobrev.  They gave her space to riff and she is beautiful and talented, but she had nothing to work with in this script.  She's so out of place that it's distracting.

Come to think of it, Tony Jaa's character was pretty terrible too.  Goofy and he just can't handle English language roles like Donnie Yen.  The useless DJ teammate they had was awful too.  Alright fine, that movie sucked.  I still kind of liked it though.

Archived