Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which wide receiver would you like Washington to get?

RG3fan

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Okay so I’m bored so here goes, looking past my initial feeling of staying the hell away from all of these guys

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

Lets start with the No’s funny how many times these names come up already

Jarvis Landry - way too expensive plays the slot and won’t help us. Overpriced no thanks

Allen Robinson - Dude was good in 2014 but seriously has done nothing since. Going to get way overpaid

Donte Moncrief - if there is a guy in this league who shown that he’s made only because of the QB throwing to him it’s Moncrief. No thanks unless Lucks coming with him 

John Brown - This hurts but with his history of injuries no thanks. Might not even be in the league in a year

Michael Floyd - Dude is a headcase no thanks

Sammy Watkins - Something is not right with a guy who just was traded for nothing and played on an offensive that was awesome and he had his worst season. Buyer beware and I think some idiot team throws a boat load of money at him and I hope it’s not the Redskins

Albert Wilson - Just because a guy is cheap doesn’t mean he’s any good. We’ve seen Alex to Albert and it’s yuck, don’t need that here 

Now the maybes which is as close as your going to get to me saying Yes to any of these guys 

Josh Gordon - I know he’s a risk because of the drugs but he is incredibly talented. If they could sign him to a deal that protects them in case he relapses and I consider all of these guys risks then why not take the biggest ones out there with the highest ceiling?

Michael Crabtree - Another risky player the fact is he is a stud and likely to get cut this year. Fits the mold of outside receiver, fast guy, great hands, expirenced. The issue with Crabs is his fighting on the field but if he keeps his act together he’s a good receiver 

Emmanuel Sanders - If the Broncos cut him he’s a good talented pass catcher. If the Broncos cut Sanders it’s because they landed Kirk and it would be fitting to me to see Denver get Kirk and lose Sanders because of all of the people who said keeping Kirk didn’t mean we couldn’t sign or keep guys

Im down with your maybes. I think of all of them Josh Gordon would be the one.  It seems like his issues have passed. That said I don’t see Cleveland parting ways with him, especially with Coleman being mediocre, but hey!  It’s cleveland so anything could happen.

i think a vet for depth is a good idea unless Robert Davis is close.

4 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Sign Cousins to the tag and then trade him to Minnesota for Thielan or Diggs

our fanbase is so embarrassing

Edit: Anyways, on the subject of FA WR's...

I doubt the Rams let Watkins hit FA after dealing a 2nd for him.

If they do let him go, you have to look into him. He may not get overpaid, despite his pedigree and hype, because of his lack of production.

If there's one player who can separate at will in this FA class, its Watkins. McVay used him more to loosen up defenses rather than taking shots with Goff, but he's still extremely talented. 

Again, wouldn't pay him like a proven WR1. But if he hits FA (doubt it) he'd be the guy who interests me the most, due to untapped potential and ability to separate.

9 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Landry because he reminds me of Garcon and I think that style of play is what was missing last year from our WR corp.

While I've seen a few people say this, it couldn't be farther from the truth. In reality he's more like Antwan Randel-El.

Landry's numbers (things like 3rd down catches vs 1st downs caught on 3rd down and yards per route run) are shockingly pathetic when you look past the basics...Like laughably bad. I can't even tell you the amount of time i've spent arguing this point with friends who think he's a borderline premier WR. 

Paying Landry anything more than nothing is such a waste of money it makes my head spin. Landry x Josh Allen seems like a nightmare offseason from the depths of Vinny Cerrato's personal circle of Hell, and i'm glad we've avoided at least one of them for now.

5 hours ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

While I've seen a few people say this, it couldn't be farther from the truth. In reality he's more like Antwan Randel-El.

Landry's numbers (things like 3rd down catches vs 1st downs caught on 3rd down and yards per route run) are shockingly pathetic when you look past the basics...Like laughably bad. I can't even tell you the amount of time i've spent arguing this point with friends who think he's a borderline premier WR. 

Paying Landry anything more than nothing is such a waste of money it makes my head spin. Landry x Josh Allen seems like a nightmare offseason from the depths of Vinny Cerrato's personal circle of Hell, and i'm glad we've avoided at least one of them for now.

This sounds like exactly the type of free agent dan will sign to a huge contract

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

One that can consistently catch the darn football would be a good start. 

Hail. 

Good to see a post from GHH..hadn't seen ya around..

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yes that post was embarrassing.  

Ur take on d green handing the Lombardi off to them dirt bags?

10 hours ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

He couldn't be any further from Randel-El as a slot receiver - no wonder you are arguing with your friends. 

18 hours ago, dckey said:

Brice Butler

Good call. I’m a fan of this one, very under the radar. Dude produced almost every time he got significant snaps with the Cowboys, but for some reason they just wouldn’t stick with him. 

I’m usually not one of those “I’m a genius” fans who sit there and question every coaching decision even though we’ve got about 5% of the info they have on a player... but he could quite easily be one of those rare exceptions where they clearly got it wrong. It seems they were forcing Terrence Williams in and we all know Dez is a weirdo and can hold that team hostage. 

So maybe there’s an opportunity with Brice Butler that doesn’t come often. Should be cheap and has a good chance to be a stud with more opportunities.

I’d pursue him. I think it’s worth finding out for sure considering he shouldn’t break the bank. 

I can't imagine a guy coming off a 15 catch, 300 yard season would cost anything more than a few million a year, even at WR.

Brice Butler would potentially give us that deep threat. But on a 3 year, $9 or 12 million deal. And you will hope he takes the top off defenses, but he's going to be projected as a JAG, and we shouldn't have any expectations that he becomes anything more than that based on past production. But if we go the cheap route in FA, it's certainly an option. The poor man FA version of Paul Richardson. And frankly, I'd have no issue with making that move, if it means we spent our FA money on Zach Brown, Junior Galette and a stud at LG.

Just continuing to share more info here on all the prospects in regards to the ‘deep threat WR’ and how to find them.

In the NFL, Kirk could have No. 1 wideout potential despite not being a big player. He could be similar to Beckham, Steve Smith and Brandin Cooks as smaller receivers who are lead receivers just from their great speed and explosive play-making. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ckirk.php#ixzz56LYIG91U
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ckirk.php#zuqZBLmqssqzxgrs.99

In their WR rankings, they have Kirk 5th overall.  Again I just think this will change after the combine.  What’s most interesting though is Walter Football’s approximated 40 times.  For what it’s worth, it reads like this for the only WRs under 4.5:

Kirk 4.43

Ridley 4.48

others deeper in draft:

deonte Burnett 4.47

Antonio Callaway 4.46-

(interesting blurb here: Scouts across the league say that Callaway has first-round talent. They've even compared him to Antonio Brown in terms of his skill set and what he can do as a receiver, but teams think that Callaway will fall into the mid-rounds because his off-the-field issues are too serious to draft any earlier. They don't have any confidence that he will change and avoid suspensions in the NFL.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz56LaPRfI1
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#0QvQsazHeJt1aoil.99)

brandin Powell 4.46

Quadree Henderson 4.49

34 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

He couldn't be any further from Randel-El as a slot receiver - no wonder you are arguing with your friends. 

I don’t mean he’s a Randel-El clone and I only use ARE as an example because we overpaid (at the time) for both him and Garcon, considering their market values, and one worked out while the other didn’t. 

In this situation, Landry will be closer to ARE than Garcon. 

Why everyone is so enamored with Landry baffles me. It’s not just the offense he’s played in...the guy just isn’t that good. And i’m sure he’ll go somewhere and rip us up next year and i’ll have to eat crow but i’d rather that than we pay him 12$/year. 

@freakofthesouth I highlighted WRs over in the draft database ... trying to find "the next Tyreke Hill" and Brandon Powell and Antonio Callaway both stuck out to me as late-round guys. I don't even think Powell was listed as an option to draft at WR in the FanSpeak simulator, so that should show you how "diamond in the rough" he'd be. But also, Callaway looks like he's an absolute headcase, but as a 7th round flyer, why not?

Callaway is the type of guy that you could throw a 7th and not blink.

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@freakofthesouth I highlighted WRs over in the draft database ... trying to find "the next Tyreke Hill" and Brandon Powell and Antonio Callaway both stuck out to me as late-round guys. I don't even think Powell was listed as an option to draft at WR in the FanSpeak simulator, so that should show you how "diamond in the rough" he'd be. But also, Callaway looks like he's an absolute headcase, but as a 7th round flyer, why not?

Callaway is the type of guy that you could throw a 7th and not blink.

Cool JM I’ll head over and peep it out, it’s been a decade or so since I was active on the sight.

So, yes “the next Tyreek Hill....” not a lot of options there being such a rare blend of ability... that versatility tho, the superweapon if you will, that’s a thing that had some serious success for KC last year.  Part of the reason they went and got them a young gunslinger because he can just throw it deep for Tyreek.  In FF last year before our draft, I was researching guys and I dug in on Tyreek and found this gem per Rotoworld:

BJ Kissel of the Chiefs' official website reports the Alex Smith-Tyreek Hill connection has been "great" during training camp.

The Kansas City Star's Terez Paylor adds, "Hill can really track it, and Smith trusts him." The two have apparently been lighting up the practice field for the past week, with Hill playing bigger than his 5'10/185 frame. He's been doing damage downfield and in the red zone, splitting All-Pros Marcus Peters and Eric Berry for a touchdown on Friday. Hill's ADP has settled into the middle of the fourth round at WR23. There's still upside at that price as K.C.'s most lethal weapon.

Fri, Aug 4, 2017 11:22:00 AM

So we already have a QB coming in whose near MVP season was predicted on this connection with this superweapon.  How can we not invest big here to find the next guy?  Assuming it’s Kirk of course.

the later round guys carry those question marks and we made need a more surefire answer.

Callaway is intriguing tho and can be had they say in the mid, late-mid rounds.  I mean the dude is getting an Antonio Brown kinda profile, that’s what they say. The say no baggage and he’s a 1st rounder.

I was listening to Jason Campbell of all people talk about Alex Smith in a podcast -- and he was saying like we are that Alex's year which was a rare one for him where he made a lot of deep connects was very Tyreek Hill driven.   He thinks they need two receivers to give Alex the weapons he needs here.  I agree. 

I think they need that deep threat but also one of those gadget type of guys who can take a screen to the house.  So at for the gadget types:  Taylor Gabriel or Albert Wilson perhaps.  There isn't a lot of speed-big play guys on the offense.  Crowder is sort of that but he's more shifty than fast.

As for the deep threat.  There really isn't one that jumps at me in a big way.   Allen Robinson was a big play guy in 2015 but not really after that and his not a burner and that's was before the ACL.   Jarvis Landry is a beast -- not a deep threat though.  He doesn't seem a fit because he's more of a slot guy but he is interesting to me because he's the one obvious star among the FA class.  I've watched him a lot.   He's a Pierre Garcon type in style and attitude -- and better than him IMO. 

Paul Richardson seems the obvious choice.  But he's no Desean Jackson. 55% catch rate is OK but isn't hot.  A 16 Y/R is good.  13 plays 20 plus, 3 plays 40 plus.  Sammy Watkins is an enigma.  But has the speed and talent to be a deep threat.   

As for Bruce Butler.  He has a good catch% at 65.27.  For limited reps, 7 plays for 20 yards or better and 2 over 40 is very good.  21.7 Y/R also really good.  PFF score 62.7

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Dallas-Cowboys-Brice-Butler-likely-to-part-ways-in-2018-113109112

When Butler is on it's lights out as he's a load to physically cover and a deep-threat matchup nightmare given his size and sizable catch radius. When he's off, however, things take a precipitous turn for the worse by way of key drops in some of the biggest moments of games. It's that duplicity that makes him an enigma of a player and explains why he likely never ascended to become a major weapon in the Cowboys' offense.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Jason Campbell of all people talk about Alex Smith in a podcast -- and he was saying like we are that Alex's year which was a rare one for him where he made a lot of deep connects was very Tyreek Hill driven.   He thinks they need two receivers to give Alex the weapons he needs here.  I agree. 

I think they need that deep threat but also one of those gadget type of guys who can take a screen to the house.  So at for the gadget types:  Taylor Gabriel or Albert Wilson perhaps.  There isn't a lot of speed-big play guys on the offense.  Crowder is sort of that but he's more shifty than fast.

As for the deep threat.  There really isn't one that jumps at me in a big way. 

JC thinks we’ll need two more WRs or just one more?  Yeah I mean it’s pretty obvious how much Tyreek did for the Chiefs offense.  I also think the league will be looking everywhere for anyone with his skill set, and really no one comes closer than Christian Kirk, he is going to do all of these things in the NFL- deep threat, gadget screen guy that is great in space, reps out of the backfield (used to be an RB and is built like one), punt return game changer, he’ll go early because it’s a rare skill set.  True #1 WR potential a la ODB and Steve Smith and Brandon Cooks.  We like that.  SEC pedigree whose college career was electric with 6 different QBs.

This may or may not happen but I am hoping for a release of Torrey Smith. Eagles are going to be in cap hell and can see him getting cut. We need a deep ball threat and could be super cheap. I don't think we rest with just getting him but I do believe he would help stretching the field if he does indeed get released.

Is there a big, strong, nasty Gronk-style TE in the draft this year? I think a beast TE would benefit Smith more than an outside WR. Obviously Reed is damn good when he's healthy, but the dude is so injury prone that if he drinks milk too fast he's out for 6-8 weeks.

That being said, we definitely need a Tyreek Hill type of guy.

38 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Is there a big, strong, nasty Gronk-style TE in the draft this year? I think a beast TE would benefit Smith more than an outside WR. Obviously Reed is damn good when he's healthy, but the dude is so injury prone that if he drinks milk too fast he's out for 6-8 weeks.

That being said, we definitely need a Tyreek Hill type of guy.

The closest prospects Gronk would probably be Dallas Goedert.  Also though there’s a pretty deep TE class.  From what folks are saying, we need a blocking TE badly.  I wonder if a late rounder like Smythe would be a solid get.

a few things though: when we’re drafting, hypothetically, and vicariously, of course, we have to look at the current roster in terms of recent draft additions and overall contracts for any position.  Here we have significant money invested in J Reed who is dominant but also one concussion away from retirement.  Then we have Vernon Davis who still has two more years left his contract.  Side note there- VD and AS already have rapport from San Fran days so that’s positive.  Also we should consider that we just drafted Sprinkle who is pretty good at blocking and was getting on the field more at the end of the year.  

So whether or not they will invest a pick in TE again remains to be seen... 

5 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

A name I haven't seen much out there is Emmanuel Sanders.  Low grumblings that he could be a casualty in their push for Kirk.  He's also got a relationship with Josh Norman, who has already cryptically tweeted him suggesting he come this direction.  

Been discussing wanting Sanders here since the rumor hit he could be cut. Makes my top 3 receiver additions this year if he's free. Great receiver, runs incredible routes, great hands, been solid in the league since being drafted in 2010, wouldn't cost 10+ million, would absolutely love this addition.

15 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Saw this tonight and thought if we were discussing receivers was worth a read

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915001/article/stefon-diggs-marvin-jones-among-top-10-tightwindow-receivers

Good info about some guys being discussed here

Good stuff!  Was surprised to see Sammy Watkins on that list.  For sure the success rate for tight window throw is crucial to have on your team and offense, so it’s good to see Doctson get an honorable mention.  His catch radius is phenom and he’ll be higher up the list next year.  

Also notable that they discussed Golden Tate being a different kind of WR altogether, having very few targets thrown to him in tight windows because this guy uses his quickness to get in the open field and they scheme this way.  To me, in the name of balance with your WR depth, you need the guy that gets more open looks AND the guy that can contest 50/50 balls.  Is Jamison Crowder this for us?? Maybe?  I just see bringing in someone else that’s dynamic can create space for everything, even if they aren’t on the list of winning tight window throws.

Archived