Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which wide receiver would you like Washington to get?

RG3fan

Really hope we recoup a draft pick - otherwise I’m afraid we force a pick at receiver early.  

With that said, I really like Gallup and St. Brown in the draft, even if (as has been pointed out to me) the value for receivers in the draft might be much better next year and this year’s class is relatively weak.  

My prediction is Christian Kirk blows up the combine and we take him first round.  He’s going to run sub 4.4 no question.  Movable piece, killer PR.

Better upside than any FA WRs save for maybe Jarvis.... or Sammy... 

Doctson

*Kirk*

Crowder

Grant

Davis

Mo

and this, from last year, before their offense hit the reset button.  Check out the links at the bottom, some mocks had him going #2 overall:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Bolt/Christian-Kirk-expected-to-dominate-next-years-NFL-Combine-51746794

SEC country’s top pick to dominate the combine:

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-players-2018-nfl-combine-christian-kirk-arden-key

its interesting to look back one year and see how much has changed!   (don’t sleep on Bo Scar in the 3rd or 4th even) 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Why can't Crowder be that deep threat guy?  Plus, in my limited view of Smith, he isn't really a deep threat thrower type of QB is he?

Smith was the top deep thrower in the league according to PFF last year.  Crowder is more shifty than fast, 4.56 at the combine. He doesn't come off to me as a deep threat and if he was why didn't they use him that way last year -- there was definitely a need for it. 

Guys like Paul Richardson run a 4.4 and are known as deep threats.  John Brown from the Cards if I recall was a 4.3 and change.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35539/travis-kelce-lauds-alex-smiths-ability-to-adjust-his-game

Everybody said he was a guy who’s a check-down guy. Well, now he has the most 20-plus-yards receptions or completions in the NFL. Everybody says what he can’t do and he shows them what he can do. It was awesome seeing him have the success he had this year. ... One thing I was hoping for is he’d come back for at least another year so I could help him go and chase that ring.”

Kelce is right.

The knock on Smith had been a lack of desire to throw deep. In 2017, Smith actually finished second in the NFL with 31 completions that traveled 20 yards or more (one completion behind Seattle’s Russell Wilson). But Smith’s 52.5 completion percentage on such throws tied New Orleans’ Drew Brees for the top spot. However, this year he can prove if those numbers were the start of something or an aberration. After all, his previous high in attempts at that distance was 49. The Redskins need to find someone who can provide that deep target for him. It will be a focal point in free agency.

You can check out his deep ball here.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Redskins need to find someone who can provide that deep target for him. It will be a focal point in free agency.

Rex approves your message.

Any idea who could that be ? I'm afraid Landry is trying to lining his pockets and may be a disapointment later, and I don't see any FA fitting here, unfortunately.

I’m just gonna put this here.

Per Daniel Jeremiah’s top 50, updated Jan 26 (I also read elsewhere the comp is G Tate but with more speed):

christian-kirk-180122-200x200.jpg

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M 

Kirk is a compact, muscled-up WR. He's built like a running back and plays in the slot as well as outside. He's an exceptional route runner. He understands how to leverage defensive backs, sell double-moves and cleanly enter/exit the break point. He has strong hands and tracks the ball smoothly. He does a lot of work in the middle of the field and doesn't let the heavy traffic affect his concentration. I love his strength, elusiveness and will after the catch. Kirk reminds me a lot of Golden Tate coming out of Notre Dame, and I believe he can have similar success.

18 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

In order:

Allen Robinson 

Jarvis Landry

Paul Richardson 

To me it’s eithet Allen Robinson or Lee, Richardson D. Thomas or Crabtree.  I believe Landry would be an overpaid no. 2 wr and he needs to be schemed open.  

Forgot to add Emmanuel Sanders

34 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So a WR we can forever call Christian Kurt, then.

Or!  They call him Baby Beckham.  Think of how much that would get under ODB’s skin.

Consider the ramifications if Dallas snags him at #19... we might want to think about playing keep away a little with division foes, lots of talk about Kirk going to Jerry.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Rex approves your message.

Any idea who could that be ? I'm afraid Landry is trying to lining his pockets and may be a disapointment later, and I don't see any FA fitting here, unfortunately.

I started going though FA stats, looking at PFF among other things.

He didn't strike me until I started digging but Mike Wallace had a good year.  He's a veteran but heck so is the QB now.   He's had 11 - 20 yard plus catches and 4 = 40 plus yard catches.     Paul Richardson who has hype as being the deep threat to get in FA had 13-20 plus yard catches and 3-40 plus yard catches.  Wallace had a slightly higher PFF grade.  

Sammy Watkins with limited reps had 9-20 pus yard catches, 2-40 plus yards. And a slightly better PFF grade than either Richardson or Wallace. 

John Brown is fast and made some big plays but 38.2% catch rate is bad.

Wallace was ranked 16th best in the NFL with PFF catchable balls-drops.   Landry 15th (though isn't a deep threat)

If the Broncos let Sanders go, he's got some wheels, he was tied with Garcon in 2016 as the best in terms of catchable drops/PFF

Allen Robinson when he played last time only caught 48.3% of the balls thrown his way. 

Taylor Gabriel has some wheels and can return kicks but he didn't have a lot of big plays last year.  He had a really good 64.7% catch rate.   He seems to have a little T. Hill in him profile wise.  So maybe that's a fit?

I got to think about it some more but going through stats:

Mike Wallace

Sammy Watkins

Taylor Gabriel

Paul Richardson fits the profile but numbers wise he's not lights above the others as the top guy so if he wants big money I might pass.  If he's reasonable, I'd consider.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I started going though FA stats, looking at PFF among other things.

He didn't strike me until I started digging but Mike Wallace had a good year.  He's a veteran but heck so is the QB now.   He's had 11 - 20 yard plus catches and 4 = 40 plus yard catches.     Paul Richardson who has hype as being the deep threat to get in FA had 13-20 plus yard catches and 3-40 plus yard catches.  Wallace had a slightly higher PFF grade.  

Sammy Watkins with limited reps had 9-20 pus yard catches, 2-40 plus yards. And a slightly better PFF grade than either Richardson or Wallace. 

John Brown is fast and made some big plays but 38.2% catch rate is bad.

Wallace was ranked 16th best in the NFL with PFF catchable balls-drops.   Landry 15th (though isn't a deep threat)

If the Broncos let Sanders go, he's got some wheels, he was tied with Garcon in 2016 as the best in terms of catchable drops/PFF

Allen Robinson when he played last time only caught 48.3% of the balls thrown his way. 

Taylor Gabriel has some wheels and can return kicks but he didn't have a lot of big plays last year.  He had a really good 64.7% catch rate.   He seems to have a little T. Hill in him profile wise.  So maybe that's a fit?

I got to think about it some more but going through stats:

Mike Wallace

Sammy Watkins

Taylor Gabriel

Paul Richardson fits the profile but numbers wise he's not lights above the others as the top guy so if he wants big money I might pass.  If he's reasonable, I'd consider.

Think Wallace stays in Baltimore, he’s basically going to offer them a hometown discount,  he loves the team.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Think Wallace stays in Baltimore, he’s basically going to offer them a hometown discount,  he loves the team.

I haven't paid attention to Wallace until just now.  As I continue to digest this.  Isn't Taylor Gabriel the closest FA version to Tyreek Hill?   He's lightening quick and has relatively good hands.  There is a lot of talk that Kyle pursues him in SF.  But money talks.

Gabriel has spent his career as a number 3 gadget play WR. Have to see how much he's asking for. Promising 2016 (had him as an alternate on my Fantasy Team) followed by a disappointing 2017, where he wasn't targeted very much and not used very well to his strenghths.

3 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Gabriel has spent his career as a number 3 gadget play WR. Have to see how much he's asking for.

He's a big time YAC guy if I recall.  But Atlanta is loaded so perhaps underutilized last year.  The similarities to me to Tyreek Hill is Hill was mostly a returner in year 1, then last year he become one of the best deep threats in the league.  Both burners.  Gabriel can return kicks and we need that but he's a burner and a 65% catch rate is good -- granted many of them might have been bubbles and hitches.  

Richardson fits the profile to a tee.  But he doesn't seem to be the next Desean Jackson.  So I wouldn't go nuts with a huge contract. 

29 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I wonder if Smiths addition will suddenly make our current roster of WRs look any better/worse than they currently do. Maybe we're ok here, and Doc will suddenly shine. 

A healthy Jordan Reed makes all these guys lives easier.  But I wouldn't say we're okay here.  The team desperately needs someone who can get behind safeties.  If not that, a guy who can and will catch the tough balls to keep the chains moving.  Nothing about Doctson says to me that he's ever going to be that guy.  Perhaps he can shine in other ways.

My last post re Kirk... at least for awhile- Walter footballs scouting report seems to show he would be an exact fit to round out the WR core for years:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ckirk.php

Skill-Set Summary: The passing-driven nature of the NFL makes a weapon like Kirk in demand for pro offenses. Some scouting sources told me that during his freshman season Kirk immediately jumped out to them as being a special player and their nickname for Kirk was "Baby Beckham" in reference to Odell Beckham Jr. 

What team sources love about Kirk is his raw speed and explosiveness. He is very fast and a threat to take any touch into the end zone. Kirk is dynamic as a deep receiver to stretch the field vertically while providing a serious home-run weapon to his offense. His raw speed makes him a huge challenge for cornerbacks to run with him. The lightning-fast Kirk can just bolt past a cornerback and safety deep down the field even when the defense knows he is going to push them vertically. Even on short receptions, Kirk is dangerous as he is the kind of receiver who can take a quick slant all the way down the field to the end zone. 

To go along with speed, Kirk is shifty and elusive. That makes him a very dangerous threat with the ball in his hands. Sources say they love Kirk's yards-after-the-catch ability. They also love his competitiveness. Kirk is a real competitor who wants to win above all else. While Kirk isn't a tall receiver, he is put together well and has developed some strength. Additionally, has quality hands and route-running. 

Kirk is a dynamic returner on special teams, but he probably will only be a special occasion returner in the NFL as he will be too valuable to risk as the full-time returner. Kirk should also be versatile to line up as a X (split end) or Z (slot) receiver in the NFL. 

In the NFL, Kirk could have No. 1 wideout potential despite not being a big player. He could be similar to Beckham, Steve Smith and Brandin Cooks as smaller receivers who are lead receivers just from their great speed and explosive play-making. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ckirk.php#ixzz566WVD18l
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018ckirk.php#L8rK7a7bx35FDK35.99

I would make sure I had the proper "gun" before getting any "ammos" :ph34r:

This draft class looks as weak as the 2016 edition (Treadwell, Coleman, Fuller, Doctson), the first receiver selected is likely to be outside of the top 10 picks. Time will tell as usually.

Archived