Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which wide receiver would you like Washington to get?

RG3fan

9 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Been discussing wanting Sanders here since the rumor hit he could be cut. Makes my top 3 receiver additions this year if he's free. Great receiver, runs incredible routes, great hands, been solid in the league since being drafted in 2010, wouldn't cost 10+ million, would absolutely love this addition.

Sorry I must have missed it.. I tend to miss a lot of the evening discussions due to baby time and chunks of the day while I'm at work.

I love the idea, he fits the mold of what I want.  Vet guy, has a ring, and has played with some of the best in the league.  Still want a burner, but Sanders walks in and instantly makes the unit better. 

27 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Sorry I must have missed it.. I tend to miss a lot of the evening discussions due to baby time and chunks of the day while I'm at work.

I love the idea, he fits the mold of what I want.  Vet guy, has a ring, and has played with some of the best in the league.  Still want a burner, but Sanders walks in and instantly makes the unit better. 

Absolutely and the best part to me is that if in fact Emmanuel Sanders is cut with so many impending Free Agents that the team has and the unlikeliness that we can sign them all, the fact that signing cut players does not count against a team getting compensatory picks is huge.

Imagine the Redskins lose these guys in free agency and they all go on to sign with new teams

Kirk Cousins
Terrelle Pryor
Junior Galette
Bashaud Breeland
Niles Paul

Which is plausible and probably likely, and the Broncos cut Sanders and we sign him, when the time comes for the league to hand out compensatory picks signing Sanders wouldn't hurt the team in getting those valuable and trade able free compensatory draft picks. 

Sanders and for that matter Michael Crabtree offer what none of the other free agent receivers offer which is why they are my top two targets for receivers this year. Adding any of the free agent receivers no matter how good they are or bad for that matter hurts the team. 

Add Sanders and you help the team not only in the receiver group but also in draft picks. Love love love the idea, Oh and for the record trading for players also doesn't hurt those free draft picks (one reason why I was excited we got Smith) either.

The team needs all the free draft picks and good players they can get to turn it around so I'm all in on Sanders and Crabtree if they get cut for must signs. If done right the league could give us multiple extra thirds and fourth round picks next year. Or they can fall in love with a free agent receiver and they cost themselves free picks. Rather go with adding Sanders and Crabtree

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Absolutely and the best part to me is that if in fact Emmanuel Sanders is cut with so many impending Free Agents that the team has and the unlikeliness that we can sign them all, the fact that the cut players do not count against a team getting compensatory picks is huge.

So say the Redskins lose these guys in free agency and they all go on to sign with new teams

Kirk Cousins
Terrelle Pryor
Junior Galette
Bashaud Breeland
Niles Paul

Which is plausible and probably likely, and the Broncos cut Sanders and we sign him when the time comes for the league to hand out compensatory picks signing Sanders wouldn't hurt the team in getting those valuable and trade able free compensatory draft picks. 

Sanders and for that matter Michael Crabtree offer what none of the other free agent receivers offer which is why they are my top two targets for receivers this year. Adding any of the free agent receivers no matter how good they are or bad for that matter hurts the team.

Add Sanders and you help the team not only in the receiver group but also in draft picks. Love love love the idea, Oh and for the record trading for players also doesn't hurt those free draft picks (one reason why I was excited we got Smith). The team needs all the free draft picks and good players they can get to turn it around so I'm all in on Sanders and Crabtree if they get cut. 

Give me Sanders and Moncrief and we're talkin.   I wouldn't hate Crabtree one bit either, just think Moncrief would be cheaper.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Give me Sanders and Moncrief and we're talkin.   I wouldn't hate Crabtree one bit either, just think Moncrief would be cheaper.  

Moncrief cheaper yes but it costs them draft picks to do that.

Rather pay big for Crabs and get a free pick. Could be two good players vs one. 

Plus Crabs never disappeared from games for a long stretch like Moncrief. I'm not really sure about Moncrief. He was nothing when Luck got injured. More of a sign that he's not very good or just that the replacement QBs were that bad? Not sure didn't watch much Colts

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Moncrief cheaper yes but it costs them draft picks to do that.

Rather pay big for Crabs and get a free pick. Could be two good players vs one. 

Plus Crabs never disappeared from games for a long stretch like Moncrief. I'm not really sure about Moncrief. He was nothing when Luck got injured. More of a sign that he's not very good or just that the replacement QBs were that bad? Not sure didn't watch much Colts

Why would he cost picks? 

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Why would he cost picks? 

Moncrief is a free agent. Crabs would be a cut player. 

The NFL has different rules for cut players and free agents. If a team signs another teams free agents they count against the players who they lost to other teams. If a team signs a cut player they do not count against the players they lost. 

So say the Redskins lose Terrelle Pryor who signs with the Browns and decides to replace him with Donte Moncrief. They would cancel each other out. We would not get a free draft pick for losing Pryor because we picked up a free agent. 

Now say the Redskins lose Terrelle Pryor who signs with the Browns and decides to replace him with Michael Crabtree. They would not cancel each other out. We would still be getting a draft pick for losing Pryor. 

Which is why there is a premium on cut players in the league. Signing cut players does not hurt a team. 

We could potentially upgrade from Pryor to Crabtree and get a free draft pick from the league. Win-Win 

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Moncrief is a free agent. Crabs would be a cut player. 

The NFL has different rules for cut players and free agents. If a team signs another teams free agents they count against the players who they lost to other teams. If a team signs a cut player they do not count against the players they lost. 

So say the Redskins lose Terrelle Pryor who signs with the Browns and decides to replace him with Donte Moncrief. They would cancel each other out. We would not get a free draft pick for losing Pryor because we picked up a free agent. 

Now say the Redskins lose Terrelle Pryor who signs with the Browns and decides to replace him with Michael Crabtree. They would not cancel each other out. We would still be getting a draft pick for losing Pryor. 

Which is why there is a premium on cut players in the league.

We could potentially upgrade from Pryor to Crabtree and get a free draft pick from the league. Win-Win. 

Compensatory picks right?  If I'm not mistaken, you can only get 4 a year right?  

Pryor for Sanders

Cousins for (fill in free agent QB here, will not exceed value of Kirk)

Long for (fill in depth LG here) Id love for Chicago to release Sitton and we grab him

Breeland for (fill in depth CB here)

That would be 4, or am i missing something?  

8 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

A name I haven't seen much out there is Emmanuel Sanders.  Low grumblings that he could be a casualty in their push for Kirk.  He's also got a relationship with Josh Norman, who has already cryptically tweeted him suggesting he come this direction.  

Yep Sanders is someone I've mentioned, potential cap cut, would make nice trade bait from Denver is we were to be in negotiations with them. Based on last year though we don't seem intent on paying 30+year old receivers 10mil a year.

Thought I read that he had a potential issue out there under investigation. Bit of a consideration if there is a problem of that nature hanging about.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If i recall that was top 5 players he thinks will make an impact in the NFL in year 1, I posted that article on this thread, as opposed to the top 5 of his board.

Yes I noticed the same thing but then they went and made this graphic and posted it on instagram soooo.....?  I mean what’s the difference I guess?  Take out the QBs that need to develop... and who else?  I know he did his top 50 recently but a lot can and will change significantly before the draft.  Kirk was mocked last year going #2 overall.  Mock schmock but still, I’m gonna pound the table for this guy until April, especially if he rocks him combine.

Vea I am also down with.  I think Payne would be the better fit though given his pass rushing skill set and his familiarity with our bama boys.  That said- Kirk is moving up quick as his skill set again is rare.  We can find someone in the 2nd or 4th even for d line and let Tomsula develop.  You can’t coach speed and explosiveness.  He’s at least gonna be on my FF team.

19 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

Yes I noticed the same thing but then they went and made this graphic and posted it on instagram soooo.....?  I mean what’s the difference I guess?  Take out the QBs that need to develop... and who else?  I know he did his top 50 recently but a lot can and will change significantly before the draft.  Kirk was mocked last year going #2 overall.  Mock schmock but still, I’m gonna pound the table for this guy until April, especially if he rocks him combine.

Vea I am also down with.  I think Payne would be the better fit though given his pass rushing skill set and his familiarity with our bama boys.  That said- Kirk is moving up quick as his skill set again is rare.  We can find someone in the 2nd or 4th even for d line and let Tomsula develop.  You can’t coach speed and explosiveness.  He’s at least gonna be on my FF team.

Jeremiah's big board which isn't from that long ago has Kirk at 29.  And of course, you can pound the table for whomever you like.  The thing about Kirk is maybe he's mislabeled but many have him as a slot guy.  If the Redskins see him that way, I wonder if he'd be on their radar screen?  I notice on twitter there are some questioning Kirk's speed.  Personally, I got no idea.  Combine should be interesting for him if so.   I've not paid enough attention to Kirk to really debate him.  I've just mostly read comments about him.  Like most prospects, he has his big fans and also detractors.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jeremiah's big board which isn't from that long ago has Kirk at 29.  And of course, you can pound the table for whomever you like.  The thing about Kirk is maybe he's mislabeled but many have him as a slot guy.  If the Redskins see him that way, I wonder if he'd be on their radar screen?  I notice on twitter there are some questioning Kirk's speed.  Personally, I got no idea.  Combine should be interesting for him if so.   I've not paid enough attention to Kirk to really debate him.  I've just mostly read comments about him.  Like most prospects, he has his big fans and also detractors.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

Yes I remember that!  Interesting disparity there... 

yeah, so Lance Z had Kirk as a 4th rounder, and I have heard the same criticism of his speed and I’m not sure why to be honest, he’s clearly extremely dangerous in space.  I think he is also very patient and seems to only really turn it on when he needs to...?

that offense too again was not very good, again he had 6 different QBs.  

He’s expected to blow up the combine and again flirt with 4.4 speed so we’ll see, and that’ll be a big bearing on his draft position.

and I think he would start at the slot but they say he has the strength and ability to play outside as well and be a legit #1 eventually (maybe not immediately) a la Steve Smith/ Brandin Cooks/ ODB.  Dan totally stretch a D and create space underneath like d jack used to do.  Cheap way to have two legit starting yong WRs to develop with a veteran QB for the next few years.

Y’all are going to be so disappointed when the big off-season move at WR is going to be re-signing Ryan Grant and penciling him in (again) as a starter.

When that happens, please don’t say I didn’t warn you.

NOTE: This is not a commentary on Grant.  Rather a symptom of FO dysfunction that will allow it to happen. 

DJ MOORE in the 2nd if he is still there with our pick.  Has a lot of Steve Smith in him.  In Daniel J's top 50 now.  Fast , tough, knows how to get open and can run after the catch.  Stay away from free agents that are not on our team this year especially high price ones.  He is similar to Landry gets open , but faster I think, we will see at the combine. big 10 1st team receiver while with 4 different QB's throwing to him. 

2 hours ago, maxspruill21 said:

Landry would be another big FA grab for the skins that would be overpaid. He’s a great player but not worth the money he will be asking, not a deep threat and he is essentially a Jamison Crowder. 

I don’t think so.  Landry is more physically gifted and plays on the outside.  Crowder works best on the inside.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:17 PM, freakofthesouth said:

and I think he would start at the slot but they say he has the strength and ability to play outside as well and be a legit #1 eventually (maybe not immediately) a la Steve Smith/ Brandin Cooks/ ODB.  Dan totally stretch a D and create space underneath like d jack used to do.  Cheap way to have two legit starting yong WRs to develop with a veteran QB for the next few years.

The idea this year was to play Crowder some outside but it didn't seem to work out that well -- seems better in the slot.  So for Kirk to be drafted, I'd presume they'd see him as someone who could be converted to the outside.  Otherwise with a veteran QB and arguably a win now mindset -- wonder if they would have the patience to double up on the slot.

If these mocks hold, one of the things I like about Kirk is you likely can get him later in the first round.  I don't think that would be the case for Ridley.  And I'd like to trade down and recoup the third rounder they lost -- unless a pure stud falls to #13.  

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea this year was to play Crowder some outside but it didn't seem to work out that well -- seems better in the slot.  So for Kirk to be drafted, I'd presume they'd see him as someone who could be converted to the outside.  Otherwise with a veteran QB and arguably a win now mindset -- wonder if they would have the patience to double up on the slot.

If these mocks hold, one of the things I like about Kirk is you likely can get him later in the first round.  I don't think that would be the case for Ridley.  And I'd like to trade down and recoup the third rounder they lost -- unless a pure stud falls to #13.  

Yeah Crowder cannot be a legit outside WR... doesn’t have great deep speed either, but he is shifty and really great at what he does.

Kirk right now, yeah seems to be a later 1st, but more than likely the board will shift a lot after the combine, and from what I’m reading, he’s going to crush the combine.

I can just see big time upside for him, he is a big talent who is going to have a great pro career wherever he goes.  I do think immediately, as I have posted about, he is a guy who offers immediate value.  He’s a movable piece.  Maybe he doesn’t start the year on the outside, but that doesn’t mean he’ll be limited to the slot.  He has, as I think we will see, legit speed and can change everything for the offense.  Can open it up and is NFL ready right now, SEC tested on frankly a terrible offense.  And he can offer true home run abilty on punt returns, something that is a significant need for the team.  So he’ll add a lot of value immediately, D Jeremiah has him in top 5 rookies that will make an immediate impact.  Otherwise it can take WRs a long time to develop into someone that can be on the field.  I just don’t see that with Ridley or Kirk and we have an immediate need there that an FA signing is going cost more than it’s  worth and there’s no one that has their upside anywhere else, I think.  We’ll see how all the WRs test, I also am warming up to Antonion Callaway who is more of a mid rounder with big upside.  This team needs upside and potential.  J doc has it.  J Reed is a super talent when healthy, but that’s about it.  Crowder is slot.  Big hole in the lineup right now for WR2/deep threat/movable piece.  Kirk is built like an RB, he could even get handoffs and make something of them.  Fascinating prospect.  That’s why I can’t shut up about it!  Hahaha

this is fascinating read from 2014: http://feeds.bleacherreport.com/articles/2140807-meet-every-elite-11-quarterbacks-favorite-wr-christian-kirk

"Christian has the ability to break any play at any time as long as the ball touches his hands," top-ranked quarterback Josh Rosen said.

"He's an athlete who can move all over the field and make plays," 5-star Alabama cornerback commit Minkah Fitzpatrick said. "You don't see a lot of receivers who can do as many things as Christian, so it makes him special."

"Because Christian is just a great player," Barnett said. "He seems to catch everything thrown his way, he gets down the field extremely quickly and he can pick up a lot of yards after the catch. It's huge to have a receiver who can consistently do all those things for you."

Kirk also fueled the championship chase as rusher, gaining 832 yards on the ground. He wrapped up his junior campaign with more than 2,000 total yards and 30 touchdowns, averaging 14 yards each time he took a handoff or caught a pass.

This last tidbit is becoming more and more interesting to me- dude can run the football and create.  Truly can lineup anywhere.

couple more qoutes from an article last summer: http://www.espncricinfo.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/137771/texas-ams-christian-kirk-will-do-anything-including-drink-liver-to-improve

Kirk might be a tad undersized at 5-foot-11, but he makes up for it with a vertical north of 35 inches.

According to A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, "Nobody prepares harder, nobody takes care of themselves better, nobody works harder in the game than Christian Kirk."

Just posting this info to share, read up ES!  Some elite company in here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2647632-12-college-football-players-with-the-most-take-it-to-the-house-potential?share=other

The 2015 season was a frustrating one for Texas A&M and its fans, but the Aggies saw a huge bright spot emerge in the form of freshman standout Christian Kirk. As a receiver and a return man, Kirk lived up to his hype out of high school and was an instant-impact player.

Kirk had a long touchdown reception and punt return for a score in his collegiate debut against Arizona State, and the big plays went on from there. He took another punt back for a touchdown against Alabama and had four 100-yard receiving outings, breathing life into an offense that was below its usual standard under head coach Kevin Sumlin.

And, again, Kirk did all of that as a true freshman. Now he's in an offense under new coordinator Noel Mazzone that will look to get the ball in his hands as both a receiver and a rusher. He's electrifying enough as an athlete to make touchdowns appear out of nowhere, and there's no doubt he'll get a lot more touches in 2016.

Kirk broke out last season with an average of 12.61 yards per reception and a ridiculous 24.36 per punt return—even though he didn't have enough returns to qualify for the national lead in that category. He has even more potential to grow in 2016 after a full offseason of preparation as one of the top options for Texas A&M.

An example of Kirk at H back and the mismatches that it can create.  http://justwaittilnextseason.blogspot.com/2015/10/christian-kirk-at-h-back-against.html

Archived