Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which wide receiver would you like Washington to get?

RG3fan

I'd like us to bring in 2 or 3 guys to compete.  I think we need a burner, and I think we need a vet guy.

If i had to make a list, It would probably look like 

Mike Wallace - He's older, and has been around a bit, but he's had 1800 yards in 2 seasons in Baltimore.  Not expecting a pro-bowler but this kind of presence could be big, on and off the field for a very young group.   

De'Anthony Thomas - Worked with Smith, converted RB so he has vision, also has experience in the return game.  

Paul Richardson - Speed guy but might be a bit pricey

Donte Moncrief - He's got size and speed but he's unpolished, he had a down year in a very down Colts offense.... and he probably wont break the bank, and he's 24

Michael Floyd - Could be another vet guy who could still have some left in the tank.  Hes 28, has a major black mark on his record, and could be hungry for redemption, and come at a low cost... relatively speaking. 

I'd love to look at the Jarvis Landry, Marquis Lee, and Allen Robinson.  Landry is going to be EXPENSIVE but we might have the money to make it work.  The only thing is that locks him up at No. 1 WR money, and I'm not sure he's fit to be a no. 1 guy in this system.  Marqise Lee could be had, but again, at what cost?  Jax is not going to want to let Lee AND Robinson walk, so the cost might go up a bit.  Allen Robinson is coming of an ACL tear.  This would be my only real concern.  Hows the knee... hows the body...  Hows the recovery?  He did it in week 1, so we're still only looking at about half the recovery time needed as of now.  By the time we hit camp he'd probably be very short of 100%, but I dont know.  At 6'3 211 I like his size... A LOT.   I did see a report that Jax could tag Robinson, eliminating him from the pool.  

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd like us to bring in 2 or 3 guys to compete.  I think we need a burner, and I think we need a vet guy.

If i had to make a list, It would probably look like 

Mike Wallace - He's older, and has been around a bit, but he's had 1800 yards in 2 seasons in Baltimore.  Not expecting a pro-bowler but this kind of presence could be big, on and off the field for a very young group.   

De'Anthony Thomas - Worked with Smith, converted RB so he has vision, also has experience in the return game.  

Paul Richardson - Speed guy but might be a bit pricey

Donte Moncrief - He's got size and speed but he's unpolished, he had a down year in a very down Colts offense.... and he probably wont break the bank, and he's 24

Michael Floyd - Could be another vet guy who could still have some left in the tank.  Hes 28, has a major black mark on his record, and could be hungry for redemption, and come at a low cost... relatively speaking. 

I'd love to look at the Jarvis Landry, Marquis Lee, and Allen Robinson.  Landry is going to be EXPENSIVE but we might have the money to make it work.  The only thing is that locks him up at No. 1 WR money, and I'm not sure he's fit to be a no. 1 guy in this system.  Marqise Lee could be had, but again, at what cost?  Jax is not going to want to let Lee AND Robinson walk, so the cost might go up a bit.  Allen Robinson is coming of an ACL tear.  This would be my only real concern.  Hows the knee... hows the body...  Hows the recovery?  He did it in week 1, so we're still only looking at about half the recovery time needed as of now.  By the time we hit camp he'd probably be very short of 100%, but I dont know.  At 6'3 211 I like his size... A LOT.   I did see a report that Jax could tag Robinson, eliminating him from the pool.  

I think you’re right, adding multiple WRs may be best case scenario.  

Looking at this list you have, D Thomas, that’s interesting there... and maybe Montcrief... Landry, that’s a lot of money and for what?  He’ll catch the ball a lot, and that’s worth something... he was a gamebreaker a few years back... I think the key here is upside... what’s needed mostly, specifically, is a playmaker, a deep threat, to fill the DeSean Jackson void, to be the Tyreek Hill.  You gotta figure there are pages in the playbook gathering dust from 2016 where Jackson ran those routes.  Just as kamara was a perfect fit for the Reggie Bush/Sproles RB role, we need to find that player to fit right into this role that has Already been carved out. Even with AS and his new found deep ball, gotta honor that.

Doctson still hasn’t reached his potential, he’s just getting started and he’s an exciting WR but he can’t do it alone.  Crowder is a great slot player though he struggled.  Obviously having Jordan Reed will make all the difference.  but if we want to be set for awhile at WR we should strongly consider tha really only two WRs in the draft class will be able to make a day one difference and at a fraction of the cost and they have unknown upside... could be tremendous?  Spend the big dough on DT and maybe an RB or LB and scoop one of these FAas for depth.  I like it.

9 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

I think you’re right, adding multiple WRs may be best case scenario.  

Looking at this list you have, D Thomas, that’s interesting there... and maybe Montcrief... Landry, that’s a lot of money and for what?  He’ll catch the ball a lot, and that’s worth something... he was a gamebreaker a few years back... I think the key here is upside... what’s needed mostly, specifically, is a playmaker, a deep threat, to fill the DeSean Jackson void, to be the Tyreek Hill.  You gotta figure there are pages in the playbook gathering dust from 2016 where Jackson ran those routes.  Just as kamara was a perfect fit for the Reggie Bush/Sproles RB role, we need to find that player to fit right into this role that has Already been carved out. Even with AS and his new found deep ball, gotta honor that.

Doctson still hasn’t reached his potential, he’s just getting started and he’s an exciting WR but he can’t do it alone.  Crowder is a great slot player though he struggled.  Obviously having Jordan Reed will make all the difference.  but if we want to be set for awhile at WR we should strongly consider tha really only two WRs in the draft class will be able to make a day one difference and at a fraction of the cost and they have unknown upside... could be tremendous?  Spend the big dough on DT and maybe an RB or LB and scoop one of these FAas for depth.  I like it.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me about Landry or not, because this is basically what I said.  Speculation that he's going to get no. 1 WR money, and I'm not sure he's worth it.  The money is there, but I think it could be used better elsewhere.  

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me about Landry or not, because this is basically what I said.  Speculation that he's going to get no. 1 WR money, and I'm not sure he's worth it.  The money is there, but I think it could be used better elsewhere.  

Yeah I think it would be easy to overpay for Landry given the lack of WR talent on the market this year.  I also think that we need someone to come in and contribute in that role of stretching the field and that’s not really Jarvis.  So yeah spend the money elsewhere.  We did take a big hit losing Garçon and Jackson, it’s true, and the timing of them both leaving was kind of crippling, but that said they are both older and I think ultimately were overpaid elsewhere.  Still reeling from that shift, though, and the best way out is for Doctson to continue to develop and to draft a WR that can jump right in, not as the #1 immediately.  

I’m serious if scouts are saying Kirk is the second coming of ODB we would do well to listen.  Ridley too could maybe be Julio!  But probably not lol,I haven’t heard them really say that specifically.  Sutton is a project, Anthony miller looks great but small school etc.  James Washington has good speed and good senior bowl, but really he had a great QB and doesn’t have all the moves.  St Brown... maybe...?  Later round WRs could develop as well... but not fill the immediate need like an early rounder could.  Of course the combine will tell us more.

edit:  and when they say he’s ODB esque, they don’t mean he’s going to get in fights with kicking nets and cry on the sidelines.  Apparently he is a model team player and has zero off field issues.  Also in his 3 years at A&M, he had 6 different QBs and he’s still in the 1st round conversation.

I really like Albert Wilson. Not only is he fast and run some good go routes, he is also extremely shifty and run some nice slants and screens. Since Smith excells in the short game it would be nice to have a couple of players with that skill set. Furthermore, Wilson is a tremendous blocker in the run game, something we lack completely. The Chiefs seem to really like him and Matt Nagy was raving about him. So I guess the Bears and Chiefs will try to keep/get him. But if we have a chance, I would be very happy with him.

11 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

Floyd and Wallace seem like the kind of target Bruce would have, should be cheap but no guarantees about how they will pan out.  Bruce is all about that bottom dollar...

I agree with how you summarize Bruce's approach.  But I've changed my perspective on Wallace.  Once I looked up his numbers, he was as good if not better than just about every FA receiver when it comes to being a deep threat.  He had good numbers last year. 

12 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

Floyd and Wallace seem like the kind of target Bruce would have, should be cheap but no guarantees about how they will pan out.  Bruce is all about that bottom dollar...

What kind of players does Bruce target generally? Can’t remember anyone we signed last year as a free agent being anything better than mediocre

17 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

What kind of players does Bruce target generally? Can’t remember anyone we signed last year as a free agent being anything better than mediocre

Zach Brown and DJ Swearinger were pretty good I would argue. Especially for the money the signed for.

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

They looked good on a sub par defense not hard to stand out. 

Well if that is the reference, I am not sure we can find a free agent that would qualify as a good signing. Not trying to defend Bruce Allen here, he needs to go. But those two signings were solid. If we had more of those and wouldn't trade away blue chip talent we could be optimistic. But for every Swearinger we sign two McJAGs and a Terelle Pryor and end up with the same mess as the year before.

3 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Well if that is the reference, I am not sure we can find a free agent that would qualify as a good signing. Not trying to defend Bruce Allen here, he needs to go. But those two signings were solid. If we had more of those and wouldn't trade away blue chip talent we could be optimistic. But for every Swearinger we sign two McJAGs and a Terelle Pryor and end up with the same mess as the year before.

It's also well known Allen followed McCloughan's FA and draft evaluations. He can't take credit for someone else's work this year.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:32 PM, DC Lumber Co. said:

I'd rather continue with our free agency approach of low cost/high ceiling/high risk guys with contracts that are easy to get out of. Not sure who fits that bill as far as free agents go at WR this year as I haven't had a chance to really sink my teeth into free agents.

This approach has resulted in signings that simply have not worked out for the most part.  Now I'm not suggesting we go back to the spending ways of the past but we also don't need any more players like Bruton, Pryor, Pae etc.  

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with how you summarize Bruce's approach.  But I've changed my perspective on Wallace.  Once I looked up his numbers, he was as good if not better than just about every FA receiver when it comes to being a deep threat.  He had good numbers last year. 

I'm more and more interested in Wallace.. I feel like we need a vet in the meeting room.  

Jamison Crowder - 24

Josh Doctson - 25 

Robert Davis - 22

Ryan Grant - 27

Mo Harris -25

That's a young squad, without a leader imho... 

On 2/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

John Brown is fast and made some big plays but 38.2% catch rate is bad.

John Brown would be my number 1 offseason target.  Get a proven homerun threat coming off a down year for waaay under value for what he is capable of.  Elite potential at bargain bin price.  Think he's gonna have a huge comeback year now that he got his health issues under control.  Perfect lottery ticket to give Alex Smith and the offense which could add a whole other level.

I'd rather see him with us than on Dallas:

"His calling card was always his field speed and reliable hands to stretch the field, he has a knack for tracking the ball, is quick in and out of his breaks. He also plays special teams as the gunner and is known to be a great locker room guy. Brown had his own troubles staying on the field in 2017 (five games missed) but before that he missed two games in three seasons.

The Cowboys need to get creative on offense and they don’t currently have a guy with his abilities to stretch the field and make plays. The Cowboys need to start ramping up the competition at receiver. Taking a shot at a guy with speed and big-play ability for the price Brown’s likely to command is a low-risk, high-reward type of move that this team usually loves."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/1/13/16882198/free-agent-focus-2018-john-brown-fills-a-need-a-need-for-speed-dallas-cowboys-2018-offseason-targets

44 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

John Brown would be my number 1 offseason target.  Get a proven homerun threat coming off a down year for waaay under value for what he is capable of.  Elite potential at bargain bin price.  Think he's gonna have a huge comeback year now that he got his health issues under control.  Perfect lottery ticket to give Alex Smith and the offense which could add a whole other level

What worries me about him is his hands, 38% catch percentage is bad.  50.2 PFF grade.

Even in his big year, 2015, see PFF article he wasn't too hot at actually catching the ball

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/qb-and-location-adjusted-catch-rates

I like Doctson better than most.  Pryor obviously didn't work out.  John Brown is fast but adding another dude with questionable at best hands worries me.  Most of the FAs we are talking about have significantly better catch % stats. 

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Anyone he can get to agree to a bargain contract, which is usually mediocre players.  He only cares about winning the contracts, not if it shows up as quality results on the field.  Same reason, now that it looks like Brown is going to get a high end contract, he's almost certainly gone.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm more and more interested in Wallace.. I feel like we need a vet in the meeting room.  

Jamison Crowder - 24

Josh Doctson - 25 

Robert Davis - 22

Ryan Grant - 27

Mo Harris -25

That's a young squad, without a leader imho... 

I think the experienced vet thing in our case might be a little overrated.  Ryan Grant is young, but he's a pro.  I think he brings a lot of wisdom with his routes, ability to prepare over the summer and his tape speaks for itself.  Plus, The only thing we are missing is that guy who can stretch the field. 

The guy that is a bit under the radar is Tyrell Williams.  He's a really good intermediate route runner and is certainly a deep threat.  I think he is a more polished version of Terrell Pryor.  

16 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I think the experienced vet thing in our case might be a little overrated.  Ryan Grant is young, but he's a pro.  I think he brings a lot of wisdom with his routes, ability to prepare over the summer and his tape speaks for itself.  Plus, The only thing we are missing is that guy who can stretch the field. 

The guy that is a bit under the radar is Tyrell Williams.  He's a really good intermediate route runner and is certainly a deep threat.  I think he is a more polished version of Terrell Pryor.  

That list does not scream confidence to me.  The way i figure we're gonna need to add 2 players who can take regular snaps.  Davis looked somewhat promising, and had a lot of excitement around him, but I dont know if i'm willing to rely on that being a major piece of the team... same with Mo Harris... so I'm not saying the vet guy is our ONLY acquisition, just that it could be very beneficial, especially to a guy like Doctson.  Grant may be a pro, but he's been largely a backup his whole career.  I have a hard time believing that he would have the ear of the meeting room.  

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe Albert Wilson.  Alex would have some rapport with him.  Speedy guy.   Probably not the answer but if we are adding two guys.  He'd be interesting.  67.7% catch rate which is very good.

Agreed, mentioned him in the FA thread. We need two new receivers, Wilson would be a good pick up as one of them.

Archived