Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don’t know. I think he was hoping to save the city and use Jaime to get Cersei out and to surrender. I’m not sure why there’s any issue over the decision. It fits the brotherly love. And fits with Tyrion having sympathy for Cersei as a sister despite what she’s put him through. 

I personally loved the scene with Jaime. Very emotional. 

Honestly. I see some of the holes. I’m not trying to be a rah rah GOT a guy here. But some of you are being extremely contrarian.

This show did a great job following the books early on. But it’s NOT the books. And it never was going to be. And maybe GRRM will finally release the rest of his series but the show became a different beast. Get over it and enjoy it. My $.02

Tyrion attempting to preserve Jamie's life makes a lot of sense. He has a lot of affection for his brother in the books, even if it's not reciprocated. His desire to keep Cersei around is pure emotional manipulation of the audience. There's no basis for it in his character or actions. He knows as we do that a world with Cersei in it is worse than it would be otherwise. 

I'm glad you're still enjoying the show though. My eyes were certainly glued to the screen tonight, but it's all at the cost of character arcs and established plot threads. Everything is concluding so quickly that the execution is haphazard. 

I think I saw someone joking that Bran sent the horse to Arya (I think it belonged to the leader of the Golden Company), which would actually make that a neat touch, if it were true....  

But I'm not holding my breath on that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Destino said:

And he's suddenly a joyless moron that forgotten how to be sarcastic at inappropriate times.  I hope the final episodes shows the real characters locked in a basement somewhere and reveals the ones we've been watching are pod people.  That would explain a lot.   

It's like a music artist that people liked their old music but not their new music.  He's a different person now, this stuff has gotten to him, to me that's why he seems more serious now.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's like a music artist that people liked their old music but not their new music.  He's a different person now, this stuff has gotten to him, to me that's why he seems more serious now.

He is different.  You can tell just by looking at him, see for yourself:

8F4tz6o.jpg

• Like 1

This ending is worse than I could have imagined if I had imagined a bad ending.

It’s inexcusable and feels like I wasted the last 8 years loving and investing in this show. It was pointless. Character arcs were worthless. Plot points were worthless. It retroactively makes every season worse because they are neutered since they don’t have payoff. 

Its honestly heartbreaking. I’m devastated 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, visionary said:

None of that leads to a logical conclusion of her becoming Westeros' version of Hitler.  You can have Dany turn heel without making her massacre a whole city.  This isn't end justifying the means or being cruel to her enemies.  She's now Daenerys Targaryen, the Butcher of Westeros.  It would make about as much sense as Cersei selflessly abdicating the throne to unite against the white walkers.

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This ending is worse than I could have imagined if I had imagined a bad ending.

It’s inexcusable and feels like I wasted the last 8 years loving and investing in this show. It was pointless. Character arcs were worthless. Plot points were worthless. It retroactively makes every season worse because they are neutered since they don’t have payoff. 

Its honestly heartbreaking. I’m devastated 

I told one of my best friends that it was a really good episode if it's a stand alone episode. You just have to pretend that every single episode before it didn't exist. 

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

What happened to those laser guided dragon killing ballistas this week ?

Their targeting systems went down along with the stealth capabilities of the iron fleet.  The poor ****s were sitting ducks.

• Haha 2

That was a dumb ass move by Daenerys. She had the city, they surrendered, it was hers. Then she decides to kill a bunch of innocent people. She has no one left to rule (I realize the rest of Westeros and the whole world exist but you know what I mean). I guess she knew no one was going to respect her anyway once they find out Jon is the real king, although he pledged allegiance to her so I feel like she should've gone that route instead of making enemies with everyone. 

The show has pretty much gone as I expected. I'm not saying it is great or horrible. I've enjoyed watching it, kinda predictable though. I've watched everything in the last year or so.

30 minutes ago, bearrock said:

None of that leads to a logical conclusion of her becoming Westeros' version of Hitler.  You can have Dany turn heel without making her massacre a whole city.  This isn't end justifying the means or being cruel to her enemies.  She's now Daenerys Targaryen, the Butcher of Westeros.  

She is indeed.

She always had the potential.  Things just lined up in a way that led to it.  That's how it works unfortunately.  There's a lot of bloody mass-murdering tyrants who started out as hopeful figures who could have done and did try to accomplish good or even great things.  A lot of people who had bright futures ahead of them and lost a lot of what they cared about and snapped.  

https://ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/

Did we already think Dany was capable of this? Or were we in denial about her murderous ways? Did we really think somebody who crucified 163 people because she assumed they were all responsible for killing slaves was a good person? Or do we feel this is an unfair trick; that writers of GoT are pushing a Mad Queen narrative against Dany’s character?

Remember that scene in season 2 in the House of the Undying? Dany had a vision of walking through the Red Keep. The ceiling was broken open and there was this white stuff falling into the throne room. We assumed that was snow and that winter had come to the South. In this episode, at long last, Dany really is in King’s Landing and the Red Keep is being destroyed. But there’s no snow. We see that white stuff was actually ash. Dany’s the queen of the ashes. So this turn was foreshadowed from the show’s very early days.

There were plenty of moments in previous seasons to support Daenerys going Mad Queen. Has the show been a bit tricky in playing her murderous moments as heroic and only recently seemed to want us to really question them? Perhaps. But I wouldn’t say GoT has been suddenly pushing the idea that Dany is bad so much as doing what a good drama does in its final act — putting its protagonist to the ultimate test of character. And in doing so, the thing that GoT is actually pushing is a debate about Dany’s morality, bringing that question into the foreground of the show after letting it sit quietly in the background for so long.

We think Daenerys is a good person because she’s happily made so many benevolent choices to try and make the world a better place. Those choices tended to be made when Daenerys was feeling calm and secure. When you have two armies and three dragons it’s easy to decide you’re going to banish slavery because you can. But the show has also pretty consistently shown that when Daenerys gets really-really angry she rather nimbly leaps to “kill them all in the most painful way possible” as the best solution regardless of whether it’s fully justified or not. And she’s never been angrier than she is now.

Since season 7, Dany’s lost two dragons, her two most trusted friends and advisors (Ser Jorah and Missandei), and has gone from ruling a land where she was worshipped to a continent where — as she puts it — nobody loves her. Dany didn’t seem like she needed that big of a push to nuke a city, and the final season has given her a really hard shove. What she does here is a lot like Aegon I Targaryen’s burning of Harrenhal to conquer Westeros in the first place.

And yet…and yet…it’s definitely shocking that Dany opts to just start nuking civilians when it’s so clear she didn’t have to. That is rightly shocking. Characters hopefully sometimes do shocking things otherwise they’re utterly predictable and dull. The debate is whether this is an earned “character surprises you” moment or — as one fan grieved on Twitter — “character assassination.”

I suspect the key is Dany’s quote earlier about ruling by fear. She doesn’t just want to win, she wants to teach Westeros a lesson after all her struggle. No more traitors, no more lords refusing the bend the knee, no more disrespect — all that’s over. If you mess with Dany, this is what happens and now everybody will fall in line. Of course, maybe this wasn’t about any kind of logic all. Varys warned about Targaryen predisposition to madness. Perhaps we’re meant to believe Dany just finally snapped.

If I’m pushed to nitpick, then I’d say that I wished season 8 had more episodes to play Dany’s arc out a bit longer, but I also know the production gave the final season everything they had given the level of production required to pull off its battle sequences.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, visionary said:

She is indeed.

She always had the potential.  Things just lined up in a way that led to it.  That's how it works unfortunately.  There's a lot of bloody mass-murdering tyrants who started out as hopeful figures who could have done and did try to accomplish good or even great things.  A lot of people who had bright futures ahead of them and lost a lot of what they cared about and snapped.  

https://ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/

Visionary, I feel like we're talking in circles here.  I agree that Dany always walked a fine moral line in a way that Jon never did.  I agree that her method of sacking Westeros was always going to be the penultimate test for her.  But the foreshadowing involved her pride, use of power, end justifying the means, eye for an eye at astapor (though it's much more complex in the book).  Not out and out madness and pure evil slaughtering of the innocent.  You can write a perfectly good storyline where she crosses the line in pursuit of her ultimate prize, consequences he damned.  That would have been genuine to her character.  This?  This is a joke.

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Visionary, I feel like we're talking in circles here.  I agree that Dany always walked a fine moral line in a way that Jon never did.  I agree that her method of sacking Westeros was always going to be the penultimate test for her.  But the foreshadowing involved her pride, use of power, end justifying the means, eye for an eye at astapor (though it's much more complex in the book).  Not out and out madness and pure evil slaughtering of the innocent.  You can write a perfectly good storyline where she crosses the line in pursuit of her ultimate prize, consequences he damned.  That would have been genuine to her character.  This?  This is a joke.

I agree that they could have done that, but I don't think it was where this was going.   And I don't think what she did was completely out of character, especially after the changes she's gone through this season while losing friends and advisers and learning her destiny was a lie and Jon had a better birthright than she did and that (in her mind) people would never love her like they do him.  I think they should have done a more thorough job selling this last point though and it may be more born of paranoia than fact.    (but I don't think we're going to convince each other here.)

Edited by visionary

Arya hasn't really used that whole taking of people's face to the best of her advantage imo. I've only seen her do it once to the best of my recollection.

I agree Bran is pretty much worthless. What exactly has he done? Nothing. I suppose he revealed Jon was the real king, but Sam would've figured that out anyway. I don't see Bran having any real superpowers. He just has these visions and ****. Pretty pointless character.

This is the episode that made me realize it was 100% a mistake for the TV series to go ahead of the books.  If the author cant finish the books, its because he doesnt how to get to the ending.  Knowing the ending doesnt help, hes struggling because he didnt know how to get Dany to become a Mad Targearyn, in a sensical and satisfying manner.  Clearly the show writers just decided to go ahead and force it, and we're left with this episode which I think is best descibed as..awkward.  Very awkward, I couldnt wait for this episode to be over.  

I do believe that GRMM always intended to end with Dany going mad and requiring execution (i think obviously thats what the next episode is about).  The fact that Dany ended up picking up where her father left off is definitely something that was planned from the very beginning of this series.  But the reason why she ended up that way, just has to be better written than she felt lonely and was in a bad mood.  I think the GRMM in his books (if he ever finishes) will do a better job of helping us understand Dany's mindset and thought patterns, 

Jon's rejection of her was the straw the broke the camel's back.  I think the book will dwell quite a bit on how betrayed Dany felt, by Jon and everyone else around her. Despite his betrayal, she did pretty much practically beg him back, and so his rejection of her was probably very devastating, destroying what was left of her conscience.  Psychologically, what else can you do if a "good guy" like Jon betrays and rejects you?  Most likely, you would lose faith in the very idea of "good guys".  Still however, we need something more to happen to Dany, with the appropriate psychological impact, to make sense of her going mad.   If nothing else, Dany has always showed the willingness to do what she had to do, even if it meant coming down hard on people or  sacrificing people -- but since when has she ever elected to do somethign she didnt really have to do?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1