Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Dany accidentally killing Arya doesn't make her a monster; it makes her a tragic figure.

Question for the book nerds, in 800,000 words that stopped in 1999, did Martin ever alluded to Dany being a monster? Do you think this was his choice of an ending?

Not that it ever is going to happen, but the fat man telling the show runners what to do, seeing the reaction, and then going in a totally different direction would be a bold choice.

I know it makes her tragic and doesn’t make her a monster. That’s a much more compelling ending to the series.  A Tragically flawed heroine that we loved going against somebody built up as the true hero archetype in Jon. 

There was no need to make her an unforgivable monster to have her go against Jon

I think it should been outlined like the below. 

Season 7 (10 episodes): Dany arrives in Westeros and battles Cersei. Cersei is defeated in the end and we have an entire season to build up to Daenerys losing it. She does something horrible at the end like this but not something that makes her evil like in this last episode. The sesosn ends with the NK breaching the walls though not with a dragon. 

Season 8 (10 episodes): the long night. Strategic battles against the WW. Several hardhome type moments. Lots of maps and strategy room scenes similar to Robb’s camps during the war of the 5 kings. We have great battle plans from Tyrion that are keeping the group as successful as they are. Some of the WW are defeated so the hero’s have some small victories and battles but ultimately are losing the war and attrition is starting to set in. They are up against it.

Amongst all this you have the politics of people (Tyrion, Jon, Varys, Littlefinger, Sansa etc) dealing with Dany being mad and getting worse since her actions in season 7 but it’s not something that can really be addressed now due to the need for her dragons and armies in the Great War. At some point Bran does something or reveals something from the past or lifts a finger to contribute in some ****ing way to help stop this. Anyway the politics and war planning are a large part of the series so it’s not all fantasy. maybe even have Jon and Dany fly north of the wall and track down any remaining children of the forest with Brans help for assistance in taking down the NK or go visit the WW fortress area that was shown in season 4 and never touched on again. 

Season 9 (6 episodes): The final conclusion after the long night between Dany and Jon. 

I’d actually be fine with doing that in the back half of season 8 or doing it in between the NK stuff. It could play into TPTWP prophecy as well if Jon has to kill Daenerys and in doing so opens the way to defeating the NK.  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

17 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

What color are Dany's eyes?

1 minute ago, clietas said:

Green.

In the book, it's purple.  So if the green eye prophecy turns out to be Dany, it would be a clear departure from how the book could play out.

Edited by bearrock

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Good lord Melisandra was just naming random eye colors that people have. green blue and brown eyes. No doubt Arya has killed like 150 people and has killed all those type of eyes before. 

Pretty much. Arya is a mass murderer. The prophecies mostly don't really seem to come to fruition. 

35 minutes ago, bearrock said:

In the book, it's purple.  So if the green eye prophecy turns out to be Dany, it would be a clear departure from how the book could play out.

I think Mel hasn't met Arya at all the books.  So that doesn't really matter.

15 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

she can't take out the Night King & Dany

GrouchyWelllitAlabamamapturtle-size_rest

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I kind of think it has to be Jon at this point though, unless he does something else like talk down Drogon.  

Tyrion killing or helping kill her if he survives would be poetic too since he would be doing what he turned in Varys for.  

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

She should kill Tyrion and Jon will eventually kill her. Maybe after going thru Grey Worm first 

If Dany was smart, she'll kill Jon and Tyrion before they get the chance to get to her, like on the way home, then go burn Winterfell to the ground with Sansa in it.  The line has been crossed, their betrayal is inevitable.

What I think will happen is Tyrion gets executed, Jon talks to Dany alone to see if she's really as gone as she thinks she is, then does it himself within her embrace like she knows she deserves it.  Unless Greyworm accepts Jon as the rightful heir, he dies, too, and everyone goes home.

As much as some of the ridiculous, lazy plot holes are killing parts of the show, there was a lot of good stuff in the episode last night. 

Varys got exactly what he literally asked for. He swore to the Mother I’d Dragons that he would be upfront to her and not conspire behind her back. If he did he said “my I be burned alive by your dragons.” 

Jaime was always going back to Cersei. I have no idea why this surprises or bothers anyone. He was never gonna kill his true love. Their end was fitting cause not all deaths should be a certain way to placate fans. 

Cleganebowl was awesome. 

Hound/Arya scenes were awesome. Did they ever have a bad scene together in the entire show? I can’t recall one. 

Tyrion free his brother was good. Jaime’s one line was AWFUL and deserves scorn but the rest was good.

This was way better than the NK battle episode. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Dany let everyone down, viewers and characters in the show alike.  The entire time I thought she would make a great leader/ruler.  She expounded values of compassion and fairness and helping the poor.  Then she goes ahead and slaughters thousands of innocent citizens.  Just seemed so stupid and unnecessary.  Really bad writing in my opinion.  Plus the entire battle was weak as hell, zero fight was put up by the opposing forces that were supposedly strong.  

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I think Dany let everyone down, viewers and characters in the show alike.  The entire time I thought she would make a great leader/ruler.  She expounded values of compassion and fairness and helping the poor.  Then she goes ahead and slaughters thousands of innocent citizens.  Just seemed so stupid and unnecessary.  Really bad writing in my opinion.  Plus the entire battle was weak as hell, zero fight was put up by the opposing forces that were supposedly strong.  

Dragons are a cheat code. Them killing a dragon before was just a plot device. How you think Aegon and his sisters took over Westeros? 

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Dragons are a cheat code. Them killing a dragon before was just a plot device. How you think Aegon and his sisters took over Westeros? 

Not to go book nerd on this one, but I read Fire and Blood when it came out in the fall. Highly recommend for anyone who wants to escape GOT and get immersed into this world (the intricacies of the stories told about the Targaryens really make the events of this series be dwarfed.

Anyway, point being, this point you make is very true. Nobody stood a chance against Aegon and his sister-wives or whatever. They literally decided one day to conquer Westeros from their home on Dragonstone, and basically just burned armies alive in the fields of battle and nobody stood a chance. Even the Starks who were never really willing to enter into the affairs of the southerners, marched south to fight and then surrendered before Aegon because they didn't want to die pointlessly.

Also, goes back to the Starks really being a free folk. Aegon essentially let the Starks be the Wardens of the North for submitting, and they've more or less done their own thing for the better part of 300 years since.

So yes, Dragons = cheat codes. They had to even the playing field to make it a bit harder for Dany to take back "her seat" ... so they eliminated the other two to advance plot. Though I agree/admit they could have eliminated Rhaegal in a different manner. I just don't think they wanted Jon riding a dragon into battle with Dany, thus elimination.

Also, this is why I still think Jon wins the throne, abdicates it to some form of democracy/rule of elders ... and goes North to live freely.

• Like 1