Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

6 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

Why was HBO so hard set on wrapping up after 8 seasons anyway? It's not like ratings were trending down.

Season Episodes Originally aired Avg. U.S. viewers
(millions)
First aired Last aired
  1 10 April 17, 2011 June 19, 2011 2.52[13]
  2 10 April 1, 2012 June 3, 2012 3.80[13]
  3 10 March 31, 2013 June 9, 2013 4.97[14]
  4 10 April 6, 2014 June 15, 2014 6.84[15]
  5 10 April 12, 2015 June 14, 2015 6.88[16]
  6 10 April 24, 2016 June 26, 2016 7.69[17]
  7 7 July 16, 2017 August 27, 2017 10.26[18]

HBO wanted more seasons but D&D didn’t want to work on this project any longer

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Davos is already married 

Why this mofo haven't talked about his wife since like season 2? Davos wife must be the worst. This dude is out getting into everyone's war just to avoid going back home.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

HBO wanted more seasons but D&D didn’t want to work on this project any longer

Them Star Wars movies aren’t going to write themselves...

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Why this mofo haven't talked about his wife since like season 2? Davos wife must be the worst. This dude is out getting into everyone's war just to avoid going back home.

Pretty sure he's just trying to avoid her, kind of like my uncle that has been avoiding his wife by playing golf on both Saturdays and Sundays for 40 years.

He's pretty good too.  In his mid 70s now and has something like a 4 handicap. Was a scratch golfer when I was a kid.

Edited by kfrankie

16 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Look honey, I’m not a learned man and I know I’ve been gone for 8 years participating in multiple wars, aligning myself with multiple Kings and Queens that destroyed the land. And look, I know that I took our son with me and he fell into a religious cult and was burned into mist by a magical green fire and that we haven’t addressed that as a couple all this time and honestly I’m not sure if you even knew about that until just now but hey...I brought you some flowers. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

I dunno... how do you do that against an enemy that doesn't need food, shelter, or sleep and can also be repeatedly risen up as soon as the HN(ecromancer)IC* devotes his attention to raising them.

I never really had a problem with the necessity of a One&Done strategy against the Night King...just the execution (Dragons breathe fire from Keep walls.

Look, he's convinced that you can get 5 episodes out of this, and you ain't changing his mind.

But I don't see how strategy stops them short of Killing the Big Bad.

We shall fight them at the Trident. We will lose half our forces, which will immediately replenish their ranks. Then we shall fight them at Hot Pie's Inn where we will lose 60 percent of our forces and break LKB's hear.  At this point, the Army of the Dead will have grown by 5 million soldiers because every time we lose territory every person behind the lines becomes a zombie, but trust me, this is going to work eventually. Ok, we are at King's Landing. There are 4 of us left and approximately 15 million White Walkers. Now, here is where I really lay the trap.

It's dumb. It's a dumb idea.

The only plot in a zombie movie is to hole up somewhere until you discover that "WE ARE TRULY THE WALKING DEAD!!" I don't want a bunch of Night King episodes - who by the way does not talk and has one approach to a fight - to learn about the true Humanity of Gendry Rivers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Look, he's convinced that you can get 5 episodes out of this, and you ain't changing his mind.

But I don't see how strategy stops them short of Killing the Big Bad.

We shall fight them at the Trident. We will lose half our forces, which will immediately replenish their ranks. Then we shall fight them at Hot Pie's Inn where we will lose 60 percent of our forces and break LKB's hear.  At this point, the Army of the Dead will have grown by 5 million soldiers because every time we lose territory every person behind the lines becomes a zombie, but trust me, this is going to work eventually. Ok, we are at King's Landing. There are 4 of us left and approximately 15 million White Walkers. Now, here is where I really lay the trap.

It's dumb. It's a dumb idea.

The only plot in a zombie movie is to hole up somewhere until you discover that "WE ARE TRULY THE WALKING DEAD!!" I don't want a bunch of Night King episodes - who by the way does not talk and has one approach to a fight - to learn about the true Humanity of Gendry Rivers.

It’s not a dumb idea if you do it right. We’ve seen throughout the series WW on their own. So don’t have the NK and the WW all run through the land as one big tidal wave. Let the NK splinter them up to cover and attack more ground. It could be a love letter to the locations of the series.

A hardhome type episode at the Vale. A hardhome at Winterfell

You have actual strategy involved in each of these places taking advantage of each locations uniqueness like the moat around RiverRun or the bridge at the Twins. The WW actually fight and some might kill a hero or two but some are defeated weakening their numbers. Some of these battles could take place at the same time in the same episode just different locations.  

You also dont have the NK there at every battle to raise the dead back up. The NK doesn’t have a dragon in my scenario either which gives the heroes a fighting chance and can lay down cover fire to allow retreats during their losses. 

Bran is actually telling the heroes where the WW are and where they’re going so they can plan and strategize around choke points throughout the map. It turns the Long Night into an actual war. GOT has a deep history of battles and this often remembered lore that impacts the world decades later. This would add to that. The Battle of the Twins. The Massacre of RiverRun etc. 

It creates a sense of dread and doom as despite it all the WW still continue to move south, claiming lives and victories. And then you have them finally defeated with the NK falling in actual battle

i think it’s far less dumb than having such an existential threat and unstoppable force actually super easily defeated in the span of a couple hours. But man it was really dark for those two hours.  (Shudders) 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Was Hardhome the one where Jon Snow and his band of merry idiots went looking for the White Walkers and narrowly escaped death?  Cause it would get repetitive watching Snow do sad eyes at the Night King after narrowly escaping every week.

Jon and a few of the watch and Tormund went to Hardhome to make allies with the wildlings and get dragon glass. They were ambushed by the night King and his army and Jon killed a white walker with Long claw.  Beyond the wall is the episode where they go looking for a white walker 

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And that Glenn dumpster bull**** was when TWD completely lost me. I have hate watched ever since. 

There is a part of me that wonders if GOT did a reverse Glenn/dumpster scene with Arya at the end of the last episode.  By that, I mean that they made it look like Arya lived, but she actually died.  There was a scene when Danny blew open the front gate and destroyed the Golden Company where they show this white horse turned into a twisted mess.  Then they show a majestic white horse appear out of nowhere to pick up Arya so she can ride away.  The scene had a dream like quality, reminded me of the visions from gladiator when the main guy died at the end.  Plus there are a few religions that mention a white horse appearing to take you to the afterlife when you die.

It would be the worst twist ever.  Which I think is possible for these writers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Was Hardhome the one where Jon Snow and his band of merry idiots went looking for the White Walkers and narrowly escaped death?  Cause it would get repetitive watching Snow do sad eyes at the Night King after narrowly escaping every week.

It wouldn’t be the same thing every week like that and it wouldn’t always be Jon or the NK. The hardhome reference was simply that it was a pretty entertaining 20 minute end of an episode. We don’t need to have full episode battles like TLN or BOTB or Blackwater. 

You can tell the story of a war and it’s battles in smaller moments without it getting repetitive much as they did with Robb and the War of the 5 Kings, only they didn’t show any of his battles and this would show them to some degree 

Just now, Yohan said:

Dude was born in the Crownlands, he should be Gendry Waters...dude screwed up his own name.

What, you expect the writers to know the world and lore of the stories they are writing? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What, you expect the writers to know the world and lore of the stories they are writing? 

Doesn’t matter, the quicker they push this through, the quicker they get to those Star Wars movies...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nerm said:

There is a part of me that wonders if GOT did a reverse Glenn/dumpster scene with Arya at the end of the last episode.  By that, I mean that they made it look like Arya lived, but she actually died.  There was a scene when Danny blew open the front gate and destroyed the Golden Company where they show this white horse turned into a twisted mess.  Then they show a majestic white horse appear out of nowhere to pick up Arya so she can ride away.  The scene had a dream like quality, reminded me of the visions from gladiator when the main guy died at the end.  Plus there are a few religions that mention a white horse appearing to take you to the afterlife when you die.

It would be the worst twist ever.  Which I think is possible for these writers.

Actually looking at that scene earlier I thought if this were an 'artsy' movie ending I could see something like that where it's left open as to whether that actually happened, or if she's lying somewhere bleeding out and imagining it.  

5 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

A positive post: From a cinematic stand point, the shot of Arya just before she walks to the white horse was beautiful.

@ 1:05

I think that this whole season has been cinematically pleasing.  Great, beautiful shots.  Intense soundtrack.  Great special and practical effects.  Definitely top notch and a step above the previous 7 seasons.

• Like 2

Iffy writing but amazing screen play. 

Just rewatched. Guys. I think Arya may actually be dead. That scene was beautiful but so out of place and very dream-like. And then the white horse. 

Jon needs something besides “you went CrZy” to just kill Dany. If he finds aryas body ... 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins