Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

You don't what my biggest complaint about the Walking Dead always was?

We never really got to know the zombies. As zombies. What there their hopes? Their fears? Their dreams?

(Also, I could have sworn that prophecy was in the show. I must have picked it up somewhere online and just inserted it into that scene in my memory).

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Haha 1

I may be one of a few people who just watch the show, I don't speculate or imagine anything. I did read the books but more for themselves and not their tie into the TV show. 

I enjoy everything as presented. I was on the edge of my seat last night. Great show. Looking forward to the last three.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

As someone said earlier, it’s GRRMs fault for failing to finish the books and giving them actual source material to adapt. Hopefully they can salvage the series and end on a high note with a worthwhile and satisfying conclusion but sadly I’ve lost that hope. 

I assume you read the books. My understanding is that by the end of the fifth book, fully two-thirds of the cast is pretending to be the other one-third of the cast or something. The books sound like a mess.

How do you think GRRM intended to end this thing on the page?

I thought Arya got to the Godswood early and lay in wait like an assassin. 

One cinematic technique is telling a story between characters' points of view. The NK/Bran/Theon Godswood scene- you can see shots set up from Theon's perspective,

qipOzV3.jpg

the NK's perspective,

DDJqJEu.jpg

and Bran's perspective.

iBtOFhU.jpg

But there's a wide angle shot from about perpendicular to the NK-Bran axis. It's only several shots, but whose perspective is that? There's no other relevant character in this scene. Plus in Theon's charge, the camera view doesn't stay wide (keeping the whole scene in frame) it zooms in and objects obscure (like say we were standing behind a grove of trees and our view is momentarily obscured by twigs/branches/leaves and the "gaze" also track's theon's run.

edM2V07.jpg

In the Jon/Dragon scenes you're watching through your own eyes (the viewer's), in this scene you are watching through character's eyes. From "Theon you're a good man" until Dagger Drop these are the only ways we see this scene through.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You don't what my biggest complaint about the Walking Dead always was?

We never really got to know the zombies. As zombies. What there their hopes? Their fears? Their dreams?

This is silly. Walkers in TWD are dead. They are not sentient. I’m not asking about the wights. They’re dead and mindless. The NK and WW are not. They are intelligent beings. They have desires and motives. That’s the point. 

18 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I assume you read the books. My understanding is that by the end of the fifth book, fully two-thirds of the cast is pretending to be the other one-third of the cast or something. The books sound like a mess.

How do you think GRRM intended to end this thing on the page?

I actually have not read the books but I guess I’m somewhat knowledgeable of them and their differences with the show. 

I dont know how he intends to or would end the series. I doubt he knows and that’s part of the reason why he can’t finish them. He has created too many characters , too many conflicts and too many subplots and can’t figure out how to cohesively bring them together or to close. 

19 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

the Jon/Dragon scenes you're watching through your own eyes (the viewer's), in this scene you are watching through character's eyes. From "Theon you're a good man" until Dagger Drop these are the only ways we see this scene through.

This angle doesn’t line up with where Arya approached I’m from nor does it line up with the WW hair blowing in the wind. She clearly went by them which means she came from the entrance to the godswood 

oh and several people have said they felt robbed that the show didn't go deeper into the Night's King "why"

He's not a rational being. He's a mindless zombie. The show covers this in his creation story. The Children of the Forest created him to help them against their fight against Man. He's hardwired to destroy mankind. 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This angle doesn’t line up with where Arya approached I’m from nor does it line up with the WW hair blowing in the wind. She clearly went by them which means she came from the entrance to the godswood 

That doesn't make sense. Jon's trying to make it to the Godswood and there's a dragon there. There's a ring of dead people standing around Bran. The NK entourage walked through the entrance. They heard blood dripping on stone, they wouldn't hear human-cadenced footsteps? Maybe the battle was too loud. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

That doesn't make sense. Jon's trying to make it to the Godswood and there's a dragon there. There's a ring of dead people standing around Bran. The NK entourage walked through the entrance. They heard blood dripping on stone, they wouldn't hear human-cadenced footsteps? Maybe the battle was too loud. 

Why did his hair blow the wind? All the WW enter the godswood with the NK. The perspectives don’t line up for Arya to already be there or seeing from that angle based on where she came from

behidn  the NK . And if they had a worthwhile explanation for this they would have shown it. But they didn’t 

There are some pretty definite statements in here about how the white walkers are now no longer relevant.

We still have 3 episodes to see how the main characters, background characters, and overall citizens of the North/Westeros deal with the aftermath... 

are we sure theres no price to pay to pay for Cersei sitting this one out? We all seem to think she’ll get her ultimate justice soon.... maybe it’s Jamie/Tyrion; but maybe it’s also her constituents that she detonated that take turns stabbing her Jon snow style.... 

23 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

oh and several people have said they felt robbed that the show didn't go deeper into the Night's King "why"

He's not a rational being. He's a mindless zombie. The show covers this in his creation story. The Children of the Forest created him to help them against their fight against Man. He's hardwired to destroy mankind. 

Thanks for posting that video. I totally forgot about their symbol. Did the NK leave it cause he was connected to the Children of the Forest, in some ways one of them?

Edited by Hersh

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why did his hair blow the wind? All the WW enter the godswood with the NK. The perspectives don’t line up for Arya to already be there or seeing from that angle based on where she came from

behidn  the NK . And if they had a worthwhile explanation for this they would have shown it. But they didn’t 

The worthwhile explanation, to me, is that it created a dramatic, unexpected moment. With all the preceding action and tension of the scenes many people genuinely forgot about Arya. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Thanks for posting that video. I totally forgot about their symbol. Did the NK leave it cause he was connected to the Children of the Forest, in some ways one of them?

I believe that's the reason for the recurring swirl symbol. I don't think it's a conscious decision. Again "zombie habits" (die hard?). It's a clue to the viewer that the CotF created him and made him as a killer of men. IIRC all the instances of the swirl have been done using human body parts? Originally, probably a warning to men to GTFO. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

According to the writers he left it as a sort of insult to them

As we saw with Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven, the spiral pattern was sacred to the Children of the Forest, who created the Night King by sacrificing a captured man in a spiral ‘henge of stones.’ The Night King then adopted the symbol as a sort of blasphemy, like Satan with the upside-down cross.”

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m tired of ragging on it. I love this show. It’s my favorite show and my favorite fictional story. I’ve seen the entire series 5 times.  

Thats why its so frustrating when things don’t have payoff. I’ve invested in this story. There are no longer consequences for any characters when they make mistakes either in battle or politically when that was something that the show was basically based on earlier.

Jon was literally enclosed in a circle, surrounded by hundreds of wights. It cuts away and when it cuts back there are like 5 on screen. 

They just don’t care anymore or are just incapable of bringing this thing home and that’s that. The ‘capture a wight’ plot last season showed that and this episode did as well. 

As someone said earlier, it’s GRRMs fault for failing to finish the books and giving them actual source material to adapt. Hopefully they can salvage the series and end on a high note with a worthwhile and satisfying conclusion but sadly I’ve lost that hope. 

Based on what? His experiences with the 3ER weren’t WW related   

Sam shows up at the wall and Jon defends him well before either know about the WW

Wasn't the entire purpose of the wall to defend from the outside and WW?

Also, you use the word "literally" way too much.

Edited by purbeast

I thought the cinematography was amazing last night. The people ****ing about it being too dark are missing the point--it was supposed to be that dark. Hitch**** used that technique all of the time--what you don't see is far more terrifying than what you do. No knowing the size of the Night King's Army is exactly the point--it heaped tension on an already intense episode.

Arya sneaking up on the NK? That was ****ing amazing. She just escaped a room full of WW--where they heard blood dripping and not her creeping. You don't think she can slip past them? There are trees all around the entrance--plenty of places to hide and sneak. She was bad-****ing-ass this episode.

Not today, ****ez!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought the cinematography was amazing last night. The people ****ing about it being too dark are missing the point--it was supposed to be that dark. Hitch**** used that technique all of the time--what you don't see is far more terrifying than what you do. No knowing the size of the Night King's Army is exactly the point--it heaped tension on an already intense episode.

Arya sneaking up on the NK? That was ****ing amazing. She just escaped a room full of WW--where they heard blood dripping and not her creeping. You don't think she can slip past them? There are trees all around the entrance--plenty of places to hide and sneak. She was bad-****ing-ass this episode.

Not today, ****ez!

There was clearly artifacting and blockiness due to the compression techniques used on the dark scenes.  There is definitely valid complaints about it.

When this comes out on Bluray I will probably buy it and it will look so much better, and also sound so much better.

I streamed it on HBO GO and the video and sound quality is just not comparable to Bluray, ESPECIALLY the sound.

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

There was clearly artifacting and blockiness due to the compression techniques used on the dark scenes.  There is definitely valid complaints about it.

When this comes out on Bluray I will probably buy it and it will look so much better, and also sound so much better.

I streamed it on HBO GO and the video and sound quality is just not comparable to Bluray, ESPECIALLY the sound.

I had no problem with it--maybe it was different on HBO GO.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Not today, ****ez!

As a fan of literature, I just assumed that was done to convey a sense of vulnerability/uncertainty and foreboding. It worked.

I saw everything that needed to be seen. I can understand however if dudes were watching on grandma's old ass Sanyo with the aluminum foil and **** 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I watched the episode again last and I enjoyed it, everything aside it was aesthetically pleasing for sure. Just the main gripe I have is that over the years I hyped myself up on the NK so much and would think for hours on what he was going to do, I just don’t care as much about the Cersei/Euron Greyjoy plot as much as I do the NK and the white walkers so I’m just sad to see him die so easily.