Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Pretty much all of the crying I am reading today is just that the story didn't go the direction they wanted it to.  Which is okay I guess, but there is also clearly some valid criticism.

But that dude above hit it on the head about how many of those same people are crying about the show doing too much fan service, then crying when it doesn't do what they (fans) want it todo.

I don’t understand the last sentence nor when it was posted above. By not killing major characters they caved to fans wanting all the main characters to survive. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don’t understand the last sentence nor when it was posted above. By not killing major characters they caved to fans wanting all the main characters to survive. 

A lot of the same people who are not liking the recent direction GoT has gone and claiming they did it for "fan service" to appease the masses, are the same people crying that not many main characters died, which is what they, as fans, wanted to happen. 

Which means had the writers done that, they would have been doing more "fan service", which is what those same people are complaining about.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Because over the course of the entire show, people have died. Important people. It just doesn't make sense that the biggest battle in the show's history has no major deaths.

One thing you have to consider is that prior major character deaths (for the most part, I may miss a couple) occurred outside of the context of battle.  So the deaths were written into the script for more personal reasons than simply that the enemy got em.  It wouldn't have made sense to see Sansa get ripped apart by a WW while running around in the crypt.  Jorah's death was appropriate for the character, but how many "i'm defending the weaker/more important guy" deaths can you really have in a large battle scene?  I almost expect the Hound to save Arya, but that was the eye-patch guy's territory. And the Night's Watch lieutenant guy save Sam.  So you had at least 3. I think that was enough.

I think it will be much more satisfying to see them get picked off one by one in an appropriate manner.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

A lot of the same people who are not liking the recent direction GoT has gone and claiming they did it for "fan service" to appease the masses, are the same people crying that not many main characters died, which is what they, as fans, wanted to happen. 

Which means had the writers done that, they would have been doing more "fan service", which is what those same people are complaining about.

I think that’s completely wrong. Fan service is about having happy, feel good endings where all the main characters survive. That is not what this show has been about. It’s not fan service that demands main characters get got, it's what the story demands. 

6 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

One thing you have to consider is that prior major character deaths (for the most part, I may miss a couple) occurred outside of the context of battle.  So the deaths were written into the script for more personal reasons than simply that the enemy got em.  It wouldn't have made sense to see Sansa get ripped apart by a WW while running around in the crypt.  Jorah's death was appropriate for the character, but how many "i'm defending the weaker/more important guy" deaths can you really have in a large battle scene?  I almost expect the Hound to save Arya, but that was the eye-patch guy's territory. And the Night's Watch lieutenant guy save Sam.  So you had at least 3. I think that was enough.

I think it will be much more satisfying to see them get picked off one by one in an appropriate manner.

They could’ve just had a main character die while fighting the NK or a couple WW and not as saving someone but good points on how many have actually died. 

Some of it just felt too much like Glenn falling off the dumpster in walking dead. 

We can't be done with the white walkers yet. It just doesn't make sense with the story that they have laid out so far in the show (I haven't read any books).

Personally, the addition of a night queen near the end of a victorious battle for team dany vs. Cersie would be fitting and would lead to awesome storylines for the final episode. 

Also there is something special about the 3eravens tree. Almost assuredly the show will end there and the white walker storyline will be reborn. 

48 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Pretty much all of the crying I am reading today is just that the story didn't go the direction they wanted it to.  Which is okay I guess, but there is also clearly some valid criticism.

But that dude above hit it on the head about how many of those same people are crying about the show doing too much fan service, then crying when it doesn't do what they (fans) want it todo.

I don't care about fan service. I watched Endgame twice this weekend and that movie was one big, wet sloppy kiss to the fans which I loved. Regarding that GoT last night just give me an episode where I can actually see something and the characters aren't making really dumb decisions. That was probably the worst filmed/edited episode of the entire series. It looked like it was filmed on a 90's handicam.

3 minutes ago, AJ* said:

I don't care about fan service. I watched Endgame twice this weekend and that movie was one big, wet sloppy kiss to the fans which I loved. Regarding that GoT last night just give me an episode where I can actually see something and the characters aren't making really dumb decisions. That was probably the worst filmed/edited episode of the entire series. It looked like it was filmed on a 90's handicam.

This episode was miles better than Endgame to me, all context considered.

4 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

We can't be done with the white walkers yet. It just doesn't make sense with the story that they have laid out so far in the show (I haven't read any books).

Remember when Tyrion was a secret Targaryan and he was going to ride a dragon?

No one knows what's going to happen. And it makes me so happy.

For four years we had to put up with condescending book readers who knew how everything was going to go. And now, they don't, and they are pissed because they are actually just annoying fan boys like everyone else. "It's not going according to the elaborate theory I developed in 2004. Waaaaaahhhhhh."

I hope this show ends with a medal ceremony and a surprise marriage proposal for Dany from Jon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AJ* said:

Yeah the whole episode was way too dark.  Everyone is talking about that today and we talked about it last night as well while watching it.  

Grant and Danny are discussing it right now and Danny thinks it was filmed that way due to budget.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Remember when Tyrion was a secret Targaryan and he was going to ride a dragon?

No one knows what's going to happen. And it makes me so happy.

For four years we had to put up with condescending book readers who knew how everything was going to go. And now, they don't, and they are pissed because they are actually just annoying fan boys like everyone else. "It's not going according to the elaborate theory I developed in 2004. Waaaaaahhhhhh."

I hope this show ends with a medal ceremony and a surprise marriage proposal for Dany from Jon.

I've noticed your disdain.

Im havent read the books.. I think the alternate theories can be fun but are more imagination than anything else. 

However, the show doesn't usually leave plots unfinished and i have a hunch that not enough was sacrificed to kill a menacing threat like the night king. 

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

You're probably right, though fighting cersei is not trivial. She's got more men, defenses for a dragon, franken mountain, and a **** load of wildfire. 

I'm prolly just in denial, but I dont think we're done with the white walker storyline though. 

The lore of the show is not to defeat Queen Cersei. E.g. there isn't a giant ice wall, the night's watch, and myths/legend about protecting humanity from random Lannister lady with magical seers watching her every move throughout time.

I get it that GOT constantly says myths and legends are bull**** at every turn but the WWs are real. What should be BS is the heroes and flaming swords; stuff like that. The WWs are real and unstoppable though. Somehow they were either defeated before or pushed back and a giant ice wall was built in between them and humanity. 

If the WWs are still alive somehow it's because Cersei cut a deal with them. That would make sense, maybe make a new wall halfway down Westeros.

I think it's obvious they are leaving the WW origin story to the prequel that will be set 5000 years prior to the current story.

TBH, I think the show writers got screwed by GRRM when it comes to the plot. This show was at its best when they had book material to work with.

If he had given the show writers one more book in the 10 years of this show running, I think they could have turned out two more really great seasons with significantly less plotholes and rushed stories. Instead, he's now bored of this story and interested in doing anything but finishing it

And I think that is partly reflective of where GRRM finds himself with the books too. It is hard to tie up all the plots cohesively and the show is trying to do this in the best way it can.

• Like 1

I think the Book fans want the next episode to be George RR Martin giving a Power Point presentation on the history of the Children of the Forest.

Seriously, I read the third season thread this weekend. Some jag came on and posted - and I quote - "And that was The Red Wedding."

**** everyone. That was fabulous.

Two legit thoughts.

1. I've watched a movie or two in my life. And as the Night King was approaching Bran, I legitimately thought, "You know, if Bran dies, nothing really changes. I mean, it's not the end of the world. They can figure out a way to win later." So, I was clearly caught up in the story.

2. My wife was BAWLING during the last ten minutes. Jorah's death got a reaction out of her that last occurred when he had to put our dog down. Thank god Ghost lived or I would be at Menninger Clinic today with a cataonic wife.

"Hmmmmm….well technically, during the White Walker attacker 2,216 years ago, the battle at Winter Fell last three days. Do you expect me to believe that there wouldn't have been a siege. Hmmmmmm."

Nerds are ruining America.

Guys, the white walkers are dead and will not be coming back.

The last three episodes would have been 100x better if Euron was never introduced to this story. Hopefully he meets a quick end, because he is easily the worst major character they introduced, and he's never really served a crucial purpose.

• Like 2

I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see how the final episodes play out.  

But if that was the end of the WW, that was truly a letdown. 

It had become increasingly obvious that D&D, while great whey they had good source material, did not have the writing chops to finish the series well without GRRM finishing the books.   The unceremonious exits of some characters bears witness to this.  Most notably Baelish and Ramsey Bolton, but also other minor characters like Blackfish and Meera.     

Part of the problem was them just not having a long term plan, and they realized they were down to X  episodes so had to condense and rush everything.   Really they should have just not included those characters at all.  Indeed, that was the decision they made in seasons 5/6 with regards to certain book characters who turned out to be total red herrings. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Guys, the white walkers are dead and will not be coming back.

The last three episodes would have been 100x better if Euron was never introduced to this story. Hopefully he meets a quick end, because he is easily the worst major character they introduced, and he's never really served a crucial purpose.

He just showed up too late. There is no buildup there so we never really grew to love to hate him.

I miss Ramsey Snow.

15 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

2. My wife was BAWLING during the last ten minutes. Jorah's death got a reaction out of her that last occurred when he had to put our dog down. Thank god Ghost lived or I would be at Menninger Clinic today with a cataonic wife.

I was happy when he died.  He became annoying to me for some reason but I can't really pinpoint why lol.

• Haha 1

It is remarkable how many times these people get stabbed and don't die. I was just rewatching Arya take out the NK. While she's a bad ass and I'm glad that she takes him out, I just realized she screamed when she lunged at him. Yeah, I'm nitpicking now but I think that's part of some of the bad writing. Stealth ninja sneaks past every one only to scream before reaching the NK so he hears her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1