Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Vinny Really Better???

Renegade7

Which was better era: Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen???  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better era: Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen???

• Vinny Cerrato Era
    • Bruce Allen Era
    • They Both Equally Suck

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the big difference is Vinny had Joe Gibbs. Joe, even though he was out of it, was enough of a motivator and coach to pull out some very strong seasons. Under Allen, Shanny sucked (minus one good RGIII year) and Gruden has been mediocre.

The 1987 question was always... what could Gibbs have pulled off using that scab team if he had to go against NFL rosters for 16 games. With Vinny as GM, we kind of found out that answer. Two trips to the playoffs in four years and a playoff win. Hell of an achievement really.

To this day I believe Vinny cost Gibbs II a super bowl run, especially do to that horrendous 2006 offseason.  I understand Gibbs strength wasn't personnel decisions, and had Beathard and Casserly to help with that back in the day.  We can say what we want about who had finally say during that offseason, but the whole thing just looked so painstakingly familiar that I knew his influence had increased tremendously.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To this day I believe Vinny cost Gibbs II a super bowl run, especially do to that horrendous 2006 offseason.  I understand Gibbs strength wasn't personnel decisions, and had Beathard and Casserly to help with that back in the day.  We can say what we want about who had finally say during that offseason, but the whole thing just looked so painstakingly familiar that I knew his influence had increased tremendously.

If I had to pick one of the two Mouthbreathing Dip****s to choose from, I'd say Allen. We are a terribly run organization, but at least we aren't signing people for ungodly contracts--like Haynesworth. We have deals we can escape from--which is probably more Schaffer than it is Allen.

It doesn't matter. Whomever is the GM just acts as a media meat shield for Snyder. 

Here's what the Skins GM posting looks like: 

Wanted - Person with varying levels of football knowledge to ignore all logic and be held accountable for decisions that don't make sense. 

Term - 5-10 years

Pay - You will be compensated handsomely!

Anything else - You may have to sell your soul to the devil, but again, you'll be compensated accordingly. 

21 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Anything else - You may have to sell your soul to the devil, but again, you'll be compensated accordingly. 

If these bammas are drawing triangles and ****, why haven't they won a ring yet here?  What's taking Satan so long?

They're both idiots. The Vinny era was just softened a bit by Gibbs somehow salvaging two playoff runs in a span of three years(which only strengthens his legacy as 2nd GOAT coach to Belicheck IMO).

Bruce is the same as Vinny except a little thriftier and more polished public speaker.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only real difference between the two is Allen has the last name that's kept him employed.  Vinny's run as Dan's puppet cost him any shot at a future in football.  I'm not big on judging two terds and picking the shinier one. 

But you CAN polish a turd.  I've seen it done.  On MythBusters.  Life Changing.  Also, a bull in a china shop knocks nothing over.  Who knew? 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think the big difference is Vinny had Joe Gibbs. Joe, even though he was out of it, was enough of a motivator and coach to pull out some very strong seasons. Under Allen, Shanny sucked (minus one good RGIII year) and Gruden has been mediocre.

Vinny's worst hire (Zorn) was worse than Allen's worst (and really only) hire in Gruden.  My feelings on Gruden are well know, I think he's basically Norv.  Competent on offense, basically crap at hiring assistants, delegating, preparing his team, and winning big games.  

That said, compared to Zorn, Jay looks like freaking Lombardi.  

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

The 1987 question was always... what could Gibbs have pulled off using that scab team if he had to go against NFL rosters for 16 games. With Vinny as GM, we kind of found out that answer. Two trips to the playoffs in four years and a playoff win. Hell of an achievement really.

Those teams DID have some talent, though.  And if Brunnel hadn't gotten hurt at the end of 2005, we might have had a pretty good shot against the Seahawks.  

I think people underestimate the talent level on those teams.  They had really good defenses, a good running game, and at least 1 good WR (Moss).  

What would have elevated those teams is if the personnel guy had been able to find a better compliment to Moss on the outside, allowing ARE to work strictly where he was best, in the slot.  

Also, while Gibbs did win SBs with 3 different QBs, all of them were better than Brunnel, at least when he was here.  And MUCH better than either JC or Todd Collins.  

I actually think those teams were pretty close to being really extraordinary.  2-3 pieces away.  And they were extremely well coached.  

2 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

You think you're pissed about losing Kendall Fuller?  Vinny traded a 2nd and a 6th round pick for Jason Taylor who played a grand total of 13 games for the Redskins.

I hate Bruce Allen but he looks like a genius compared to Cerrato!

Didn't we also trade a 3rd for a RB who never played so he wouldn't end up in Philly?  

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They're both idiots. The Vinny era was just softened a bit by Gibbs somehow salvaging two playoff runs in a span of three years(which only strengthens his legacy as 2nd GOAT coach to Belicheck IMO).

Bruce is the same as Vinny except a little thriftier and more polished public speaker.

Is he really a better speaker?  I mean, he hash-jobbed that post-cousins franchise tag meeting/presser whatever pretty well, and he couldn't pronounce Kirk. 

If it had not been for the uncapped year,  we were headed in a terrible place with Vinny.  The result was a (stupid) penalty that did have an impact of at least some of that lack in success for BA.   Allen took over a bad roster and had a penalty. 

That being said BA has not done well in his time either.  I get why both are bad,  but at least BA has some talent past the starting line up.   He has made us a team that generally still has a chance when December rolls around,  even if not a strong one.  

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Didn't we also trade a 3rd for a RB who never played so he wouldn't end up in Philly?  

Oh man, T.J. Duckett. I made myself sad remembering that name.

I love Gibbs, but was he physically allergic to draft picks?

The "Vinny era" was better simply because of Gibbs, but I give Vinny no credit for that. So I'll have to go with Bruce. Ugh, what a choice.

wow the stats are much more similar then i thought at first glance...i voted for bruce but i then read the stats comparison & while vinny was incompetent, atleast the guy never used an employees deceased grandmother as part of a smokescreen like allen did... overall looks like 6 and a 1/2 dozen?

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Cerrato wanted to trade 2 1st round picks to the Bengals for Chad Johnson, when he was holding out. Lewis said no. Those picks would have been Orakpo and Williams, I believe.

Forgot about that. I mean that's one of the dumbest trade offers in history. And they were even dumber to decline. Just based on that, Cerrato is worse. 

9 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

If I had to pick one of the two Mouthbreathing Dip****s to choose from, I'd say Allen. We are a terribly run organization, but at least we aren't signing people for ungodly contracts--like Haynesworth. We have deals we can escape from--which is probably more Schaffer than it is Allen.

The psychotic mf'er tried to trade 2 1sts for CHAD JOHNSON. So many traumatizing moments. Bruce is just a less bug eyed, less death cackling, more slick Vinny,  with less crystal meth trades

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

I picked number 2 before a number 3 was added. I'm officially for the record in number 3 :P

sorry bout that, dude.

1 hour ago, A Skinhead in Saints Land said:

This poll is the equivalent of asking which is better?  Getting punched in the balls or getting kicked in the balls?

Thus the both suck category.  I wanted to force ya'll to choose, but this is better and I'm satisfied with the results.  I bet if I made it private more people would've picked Vinny, because I saw plenty of it the other day after the trade, but none so far in here.

Archived