Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VOX: American kids are 70 percent more likely to die before adulthood than kids in other rich countries

bcl05

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2018/1/8/16863656/childhood-mortality-united-states

This is so infuriating.  Kids are vastly more likely to die here than in other wealthy democratic countries.  Lots of reasons - fragmented health care system, gun deaths (82x more likely!), worse child poverty, etc. 

At least we don't hear the old crap from politicians "America has the greatest health care system in the world" crap so much any more...

Any politician who actually wants to improve this country should start with these statistics and start fixing them. 

The study comes out three months after Congress allowed funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program — which provides insurance to nine million low-income kids — to expire. And it builds on data released earlier this year, which finds that overall life expectancy in the United States has declined for the past two years — a troubling trend that hasn’t been seen since the 1960s.

Thanks, Mom and Dad! Not only am I inhering a nightmarish, international economic landscape that'll look like the Gilded Age on steroids while the eastern seaboard is slowly submerging underwater and the chickens of generations of imperialism come to roost but I'm actually on track to have a shorter life span than you are! Greatest country in the world, baby! WOOHOO!

USA! USA! USA!

59 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

At least we don't hear the old crap from politicians "America has the greatest health care system in the world" crap so much any more...

We do have one of the greatest health care systems in the world if you can afford it.  Which to many can't.  

There is only one answer to these horrifying statistics:

We have a rotten culture that does not believe in lifting up our fellow citizens and caring after our communities.

A country of shallow narcissists who refuse to acknowledge reality whenever it offends their feelings.

There is simply no other way this happens when we are the wealthiest country to have ever existed.

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

We have a rotten culture that does not believe in lifting up our fellow citizens and caring after our communities.

A country of shallow narcissists who refuse to acknowledge reality whenever it offends their feelings.

There is simply no other way this happens when we are the wealthiest country to have ever existed.

It was never going to last forever with this mindset. Its honestly amazing it got this far. 

25 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

^^ this

In many European countries, people are a lot happier. Yeah they might pay a little more in taxes, but they understand that helping pay for some random kid's college education will, in turn, help them in the long run.

We have too many narrow minded and short sighted morons in this country(see: 2016 Presidential election results).

5 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Speaking of which...

"For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me."

Who knew this would become a party platform?

Interesting that the gap seemed to start in the 70's and really take hold in the 80's.

I think we do a piss poor job of taking care of our poor and a piss poor job of caring about anyone other than our selves (and that's not something only wealthy people have an issue with, either)

Our government seems to unfortunately be largely a reflection of ourselves.

We have it in us to do some extraordinary things in moments of tragedy. You see random people show heart and courage in terrorist attacks, car accidents, natural disasters... you see outpouring of support from entire communities.

When it comes to more subtle issues that require long term thought and practice, we have no heart and no courage. 

Many of us lack empathy. We don't care, or don't bother to look beyond finding a villain,  until the problem directly impacts us.

Trump lost the popular vote so he's not a representation of this nation as a whole, just a part of it.  

You look at ideas like support for free community college and legalization of marijuana, its a majority supported bipartian issue among the public at a large.  This country got officially screwed out of control of its government ever since Citizens United. Overwhelming majority of the population doesn't support government shutdowns for political means and and solid majority want funding for CHIP.  Until we have something like campaign finance reform, elected government officials will be a representation of the people that can afford it.

As for that article, makes unfortunate amount of sense that a country with almost half the worlds guns leads the world in gun deaths.  That's a completely different conversation then why premature babies being born, were close to 1 out of every 10 now, that's disturbing.  That's not because we don't care about each other and it is fixable.

I actually would be surprised if America doesn't have more kids dying in their teens, than similar countries.  Simply because of our society's easy access to guns and cars at that age.  

One of the reasons I'm skeptical about attempts to blame those statistics on our health care system.  

33 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

It is in the link

This isnt a surprise. I guess this is the latest study, but infant mortality rates have been high in the US for many years. I remember first seeing this back in college a few years ago.

is this it? https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0767

when i click on the first hyperlink, i get the general page, not the study. if thats not it, can you post it? thanks.

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

I actually would be surprised if America doesn't have more kids dying in their teens, than similar countries.  Simply because of our society's easy access to guns and cars at that age.  

One of the reasons I'm skeptical about attempts to blame those statistics on our health care system.  

Guns, cars, drinking age, drugs, poor access to healthcare in low income communities.   Add in how good our prenatal care is comparitively (which leads to a higher rate of births to babies that otherwise would not have made it to term, but are born with serious medical issues) mix it all together and voila!  

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Guns, cars, drinking age, drugs, poor access to healthcare in low income communities.   Add in how good our prenatal care is comparitively (which leads to a higher rate of births to babies that otherwise would not have made it to term, but are born with serious medical issues) mix it all together and voila!  

Oh, I don't think our teens have easier access to drugs or alcohol than in, say, Europe.  (Granted, that's just an impression I've pulled out of my behind.)  

And "poor access to healthcare in low income communities", well, I think that is a problem that is fair to blame on our system.  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Oh, I don't think our teens have easier access to drugs or alcohol than in, say, Europe.  (Granted, that's just an impression I've pulled out of my behind.)  

And "poor access to healthcare in low income communities", well, I think that is a problem that is fair to blame on our system.  

That came out different than I meant. 

Our kids have easier access to the pills that are decimating communities (oxi etc).  And our absurd drinking age makes alcohol taboo and therefor more abused.

1 minute ago, grego said:

can you post the link?

ABSTRACT

The United States has poorer child health outcomes than other wealthy nations despite greater per capita spending on health care for children. To better understand this phenomenon, we examined mortality trends for the US and nineteen comparator nations in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development for children ages 0–19 from 1961 to 2010 using publicly available data. While child mortality progressively declined across all countries, mortality in the US has been higher than in peer nations since the 1980s. From 2001 to 2010 the risk of death in the US was 76 percent greater for infants and 57 percent greater for children ages 1–19. During this decade, children ages 15–19 were eighty-two times more likely to die from gun homicide in the US. Over the fifty-year study period, the lagging US performance amounted to over 600,000 excess deaths. Policy interventions should focus on infants and on children ages 15–19, the two age groups with the greatest disparities, by addressing perinatal causes of death, automobile accidents, and assaults by firearm.

Exhibit 2 All-cause, age-adjusted childhood mortality rates per 10,000 population, rate ratios, and excess deaths for the US and the OECD19, by decade

Under age 1
Ages 1–19
Mortality rate
Mortality rate
Decade	US	OECD19	Rate ratio	US	OECD19	Rate ratio	Excess deaths
1961–70	240.7	250.3	0.96	6.7	6.7	1.00	−32,500
1971–80	157.4	147.1	1.07	6.2	5.3	1.17****	95,900
1981–90	107.9	83.6	1.29****	4.9	3.8	1.29****	163,000
1991–2000	79.8	53.7	1.49****	3.9	2.7	1.44****	189,000
2001–10	68.8	39.0	1.76****	3.1	2.0	1.55****	207,300
SOURCE Authors’ analysis of data from the Human Mortality Database (University of California, Berkeley, and Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research). NOTES The OECD19 is a group of nineteen developed nations other than the US in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. During 1961-70 the US had fewer deaths per 10,000 population, corresponding to a negative value for excess deaths. There were 622,700 excess deaths in the period 1961–2010. Significance refers to difference from 1.00, based on 99.9% confidence intervals.

Exhibit 3

figureex5.gif

That is all I will post because it is a lot more. There isnt a PDF of this.

Archived