Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Perspective: One fan's attempt at a trial separation from the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Trial Seperation  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Does taking a trial separation from your favorite NFL team make you a fake fan?

Don't know how this is related to anything, but there are countless Skins games in my over 40 years of fandom that you definitely remember watching, where you were watching them at, etc.

I bring this up in light of the Kirk conversations and how he was offered a LTD by GMSM before the Chicago game in 2015, the first of the four game streak to get us into the playoffs. I looked up the boxscore of the game (we won 24-21 on what looks like a late FG), but I remember literally nothing about that game, and it only happened two years ago. 

Personally, im one more Kirk Cousins bull**** drama leak crapfest away from leaving this team, too.  Not sure if I will choose another team, maybe, maybe not.  But, im just tired of this organization.  Ive been a cultist since the age of 4, so almost 40 years.  If youd have told me at any point i was considering leaving i would tell you youre insane, but here we are

Above all it is the culture of the organization i cant handle.  Its just such a pile of toxic ****.  Tired of voluntarily being associated with such awful human beings.  

Being a 'fan' is something that belongs to and is controlled by your own self. No one can give you a label as being a fan, that decision is up to you and you only. Anyone who tries to label you as a fan is only trying to label you for the sake of labeling you, not for the depth or strength of your fandom.

I am a fan of the Redskins and will probably be the rest of my life; but if I feel they've pissed me off [ like they do at times ] I can say **** them and just step away from anything Redskins, and there's nothing anyone can say or do about it. If anyone doesn't like my level of fandom, **** them too! But it does not give them a right to label me in any way or judge my personal feelings towards the team and what they're doing. That is THEIR feelings about me and how it may stack up to their level of fandom from THEIR perspective, and I'm not a fan for THEIR benefit, I'm a fan for MY benefit.

I've been a fan and loved this team since the mid-70's, long before many ESers were even born. does that make me a better or stronger fan than them? Hell no! Does it make me smarter than them? Hell No! [ and been proven many times I may add ]. 

Being a fan is MY decision, not anyone else, and anyone who would tell me I'm not as big a fan as they are is full of ****, and any other person who is a fan of this team should have the very same stance, because its none of my or anyone else business.

People need to stay out of other people's business and mind their own; stop trying to put a label on someone else just to make themselves feel superior. That's part of the problem with society, they're not happy about themselves or about something else, so they look for any way to make someone else miserable for their own benefit.  Pretty much, people suck...

Likewise apathy is starting to set in for me.  The front office culture is the problem for me.  I know the players are trying to get to the next level but the last few seasons have been less than acceptable.  Not making the playoffs and watching these other teams this weekend stinks too.   For too long, Skins have appeared to win in the off season only.  Later in the year we usually discover they also lost in the off season too...  A long time ago I gave up on the Washington Wizards- about ten years ago when I moved to CA and started rooting for the Warriors when they were still bad.  But then the owner (who made millions from Safeway) decided to sell the team and two new owners came in and changed everything.  New head coach, new general manager and started drafting good players like Steph Curry, Klay Thompson etc..  All of a sudden, all these down trodden Bay Area fans went nuts because there team was suddenly winning.  I hope the Danny some day realizes it is time to sell the team and go off with his huge profits and try a different business.  Then Skins fans may be able to see light at the end of this long frustrating tunnel.  So far now I remain a die-hard Skins fan. Now live back on the East Coast in a beach area that has lots of Eagle fans and Raven fans.  There are fewer Skins fans here but I do see a few Skins bumper stickers every season.  So many times the local television stations will cover Eagles and Raven games so I have to go to a bar if I want to watch the Skins.

I feel where this guy is coming from. There have been times when I've completely stopped watching; just couldn't take it anymore. But I would never dump the Skins and choose another team as my favorite. I've always liked the Rams and Vikings, but the Skins are -- and always will be -- my #1.

Echo some of the sentiment here.  I will not change but know people that have and have no ill will toward them.  A guy at work changed to the Ravens many years back, hard to imagine doing that, but it is mainly because of Snyder and the stories that surround him.  Mainly those from the past as he has not been as front and center recent years but I get it.  From the vanilla ice cream garbage to the issue with the trees, a spiteful little man.  

I have been a fan for my entire life.  In recent years the product on the field has been so bad, so horrific, I have not watched a Redskins football game in years.  That said, I do follow the team.  I get my amusement from watching the incredible dysfunction of the organization.  It is spectacular!  I mean really, just think about all the goofy crap these clowns pull!  Looking forward to another fun off-season!!!

I been a die hard since I could understand the game (30+ years) and haunt felt this way since Spurrier, then Gibbs 2.0 dragged me back even stronger than before. I'm withdrawn now and if Kirk leaves I'm not sure what it would take to pull me back this time. I do know that Baker Mayfield will not do the trick as I don't like him or think he will be a good pro and there is no Gibbs 3.0 going to happen. Getting rid of Allen and hiring a real GM is what I would like to see.

Regarding Zoony and theSubmittedone's posts; Jason Reid once wrote a piece about the gross dysfunction at Redskins Park. One of the sources quoted in the story had this to say about the culture of Dan Snyder's Redskins: 

"That place [Redskins Park] is like a reverse car wash,” a former Redskins assistant told me the other day. “You come in clean and come out dirty.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-coaching-search-the-right-candidate-will-see-jobs-appeal/2014/01/07/72c0821e-7702-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.829322b399b3

I have Redskins fatigue. I actually didn't watch a couple games this year. My passion has dropped. I'm not saying I'm not a fan anymore, I am, but the passion/diehard factor is gone. The Redskins are just a way to kill three hours on a Sunday in the fall now.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:46 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thanks man.

I don't really mind switching.  It just says to me that you like football and it's more fun when you have a team to be invested in.  To me it's strange when there's absolutely no ties and the choice is made at random.  But if your wife's family roots for the Steelers...

If Kirk goes somewhere...the Skins will always be my #1, but I'll have another team to be rooting for in December after the Skins are out of it.

Oh I don't mind it for someone else. I just don't understand it and can't relate to it. If I ever completely lose interest in the Redskins, I think I'd just remain a NFL fan. It would be similar to the way I watch the post-season most years (hahahaha). 

What about this scenario? Kirk signs with Denver and you start following Denver while still rooting and being a fan of the Skins. Like Denver is your side AFC team. That ok?

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I have Redskins fatigue. I actually didn't watch a couple games this year. My passion has dropped. I'm not saying I'm not a fan anymore, I am, but the passion/diehard factor is gone. The Redskins are just a way to kill three hours on a Sunday in the fall now.

Same here. I used to yell and scream and every touchdown and bad play. Now I just sit and watch with much less emotion.

Every single one of us have been 'groomed' in a way by this team and organization, and it affected us in different ways.

How it has altered our perspective, our hopes, and our views of how it adjusts to change to better themselves usually ends up shooting themselves in the foot, thus changing our view of the team.

Its strange in a way, I was fortunate enough to be of sound mind [ somewhat ] and grown up enough to be a part of the great teams and games of the 80's, and the way I carried myself back then regarding this team is totally different than today. I wore my hats or jacket to work on certain days, walked tall and talked loud, and dared anyone to challenge me or the Redskins, and when someone did, they usually lost, especially those creepy Cowboys fans.

My geographical location makes it impossible for me to go to a Redskin game unless they play on the road in Houston or New Orleans, maybe Dallas, but it doesn't hinder or tamper my spirit for the team; the FO does that very well by themselves, and at times I all but pull my hair out at the insane transactions the FO makes, but it still doesn't change MY personal feelings and pride for the team.

Back then and even every once in awhile today, i've had more people than I could count ask me "why the hell are you a Redskins fan living here in southeast Texas?", and I told them "well, I'm a fan of a winner", and ask them why they're a fan of whatever team they root for, and they end up being stereotypical in their replies by saying "I live in Texas and that's where you should be cheering for a team".

Bottom line is, I choose to be a fan of whatever team I wish; it doesn't affect anyone else [ except my then-wife who was a Cowboys fan ] and its none of your business. No one tells me who or what to choose to root for or be a fan of, that's my right, and anyone who tries to tell me I'm a less of a fan than someone else is simply jealous; at least I was around to enjoy the truly wonderful decade called the 80's and the Superbowls and big games the Redskins played in, and no one can ever take that away from me, not even Bruce Allen or Dan Snyder.

I'll always be a fan.  I have accepted the fact that I am fan of team that will occasionally have a winning season and occasionally have a playoff birth.  That will be it.  This team under Snyder will never be consistent winner. Snyder will never cede control to a real GM and then let the real GM make the decisions.

So, every 4-5 years will be a new era for the Skins. That will be the lifespan of Dan's coaches.  Even shorter, if we hire another Zorn/Spurrier type coach.  During that span, you get maybe one playoff birth and then it goes down hill. Eventually, leading to that coach's firing.

Gruden got his year 5, but I'm pretty sure he will not be seeing a Year 6.  His successor will be a big name coach, either retread or big name college team.

If you choose to separate from the Skins, then that's it. There's no welcoming back for you. I don't blame you leaving though.  In some post I made earlier this year, I said that if you want winning football regularly; then you should find a new team to root for. Especially for the younger fans, who only know losing or were too young to remember the Gibbs glory years.  if you accept what I have & can live with Skins reality; then no need to leave.

I don't watch every game. Actually, I listen to the game more than finding where online to watch them; if they aren't on national TV.  I spent the final game, binge watching Jag all day.

Every 4-5 years, I will get a new dash of hope with the next new coach. Only to have reality come crashing down at some point during that coach's tenure.  Rinse and repeat every 4-5 years.

So, if you to leave; leave.  Go, find a winning team.  You aren't welcome to come back.  There is no trial separation.  Once you leave, you never look back.  You will probably be more happier; as there really isn't much to enjoy about being a Redskins fan under Snyder.

I do it as well... in sports I do not follow closely. Like Rugby league (no offense to League fanatics) and college football as well a I have no connections to any particular team. Just interested in players not teams. So I guess Jay Richardson just had some passing interest in the Skins as it was his Dad's team but when things get messy, he can easily choose a new team. Bye Felicia.

sometimes i wonder how many of us fans are truly only hanging on just in case the skins are ever good again we can say "i was always here, i never gave up hope. i am the hardest of the die hards, ultra mega redskins super fan, and i told you so....all along"

i had to work during the last game of the season so I could only check in every once in a while. literally every time i did the skins were doing something stupid....every single time. i wasn't surprised in the slightest and for the first time ever wasn't the least bit annoyed. i actually chuckled and thought "typical". other than habit and camaraderie i would miss little if pro football disappeared all together at this point. 

i could never have another pro football team but my former big sports room is being converted to a home gym. ( i still have a smaller backup room though)

I am not one to judge or label someone a true fan or not. If he wants to switch, that’s up to him.

1 hour ago, onedrop said:

sometimes i wonder how many of us fans are truly only hanging on just in case the skins are ever good again we can say "i was always here, i never gave up hope. i am the hardest of the die hards, ultra mega redskins super fan, and i told you so....all along"

In response, I'm not one who may say or feel those things, but I agree that some might. Fandom is really a personal thing and we're all different. For me, it's more like this:

I was born into Redskins fandom. I don’t think I could ever leave. As I recall, we really sucked until Lombardi was hired. That was an exciting year. After he passed, we had a mediocre season and then hired George Allen and his ‘Over the Hill Gang’. The team started to gel and the fans were ecstatic. Despite a disappointing Super Bowl loss, we knew we had a good team and expected to win. Then Jack Pardee came on board and we had a few more mediocre years. 
We all know how it went with Gibbs 1.0. As a fan, the previous mediocre and losing seasons made the victories much more rewarding. Going through hard times and then turning it around is as sweet as it gets.

So yeah, I'm hanging on win or lose. It's because I was born into it and because of the wonderful feeling I had during Gibbs 1.0. It's not because I want to elevate myself if it happens again. 

On another note, many on here say that the Redskins won’t be able to field a winning team with this owner and front office. I don’t disagree but also recall the same sentiment towards Marshall in his declining years and JKC before Gibbs. So hopefully history repeats itself. Then we can taste sweet victory and sing ‘Hail to the Redskins’ with pride.  

On 1/6/2018 at 7:06 AM, zoony said:

Personally, im one more Kirk Cousins bull**** drama leak crapfest away from leaving this team, too.  Not sure if I will choose another team, maybe, maybe not.  But, im just tired of this organization.  Ive been a cultist since the age of 4, so almost 40 years.  If youd have told me at any point i was considering leaving i would tell you youre insane, but here we are

Above all it is the culture of the organization i cant handle.  Its just such a pile of toxic ****.  Tired of voluntarily being associated with such awful human beings.  

It's the NFL, they're all awful human beings (that's hyperbole, but there are more people you would hate in real life than you'd want to admit.)  ANd the college feeder system may be worse, really.  It's one reason why I missed games the previous year and didn't watch a game in its entirety this year.  

I'd never go root for another team, even if angels from heaven formed an expansion team.  

I want to say this feeling of mine has only been noticeable because it involved the Skins. I've missed Michigan games, I didn't watch the NBA playoffs this year, etc. I will watch Olympic/FIBA basketball I'm sure, but that's about it. I did see some of the Cubs WS games, I guess.  

I just have better things to do with my time.  I had more sheer joy and excitement reading and listening to books, and playing Mass Effect recently (and still one more to go) than I have watching sports.  

if you're a fan, you feel it when they lose.

if you don't, you're not really a fan, you're just a casual observer.

and if you feel that, setting it down to go try to feel the same thing for another team means you never felt it in the first place, and that makes you not a fan.

Last year i sad that if they screw this Cousins debacle up, I'd be done. And it may be true. But i won't go be a Ravens fan or a Steelers fan because it's just pretend. My heart would still feel it when the Redskins lose, but if i did end up giving up, i'd just care less and less. 

be one of those people who don't have a team and say they just follow the sport,, which i hate,, but it would be the only truth i could tell. I love football, i could never give it up.. so if i gave up on the team, i'd just be teamless.

~Bang

On 1/6/2018 at 4:19 AM, thesubmittedone said:

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to root for an organization that continuously brings the people they hire or acquire to their lowest point or the worst version of their selves (at least professionally). 

I’m exhausted at seeing so many fans willingly plunge themselves into that vicious cycle where they target those people relentlessly, ignoring or downplaying or just passingly referencing those at the top who are the root cause of it. 

Some of these people aren't that good. Some are. But they’ll never get to reach their potential or beyond it due to their environment, and even when some of the fans come to this sobering realization, they still can’t help but encourage the cycle by thrusting their insults and rage at those people versus the leadership that created the environment and perpetuates it. 

So many new targets. So many new villains. 

Just gets tiring to see that when you’re empathetic. So it comes down to being cold and disconnected regarding those you’re rooting for to succeed if you want to stay heavily involved. Rage against them while defending those at the top. Which is weird to me. Can’t do it. 

So the passion certainly is waning. Just would rather not be as involved in it anymore. :/ 

Said it when people were talking about potentially the next QB. Im just looking at the next controversy.

It's one thing to be mediocre and dysfunctional. It's entirely different for it to be business as usual for an organization, and to have no hope that it will ever change.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

It's the NFL, they're all awful human beings (that's hyperbole, but there are more people you would hate in real life than you'd want to admit.)  ANd the college feeder system may be worse, really.  It's one reason why I missed games the previous year and didn't watch a game in its entirety this year.  

I'd never go root for another team, even if angels from heaven formed an expansion team.  

I want to say this feeling of mine has only been noticeable because it involved the Skins. I've missed Michigan games, I didn't watch the NBA playoffs this year, etc. I will watch Olympic/FIBA basketball I'm sure, but that's about it. I did see some of the Cubs WS games, I guess.  

I just have better things to do with my time.  I had more sheer joy and excitement reading and listening to books, and playing Mass Effect recently (and still one more to go) than I have watching sports.  

Mass Effect is awesome

Archived