Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Perspective: One fan's attempt at a trial separation from the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Trial Seperation  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Does taking a trial separation from your favorite NFL team make you a fake fan?

Sheehan this morning mentioned that today was the 30 year anniversary of Darrell Green's punt return against Chicago in the playoffs.

Thirty........friggin.........years.

And soon will be January 26, which will be the 26th anniversary of Super Bowl 26. Which means that, come early February, there will have been 26 Super Bowls played since that one......none involving the Redskins. We haven't even been to a NFCCG since then. We haven't even won 11 games in a regular season since then. 

The Redskins have been such a crapshow since Gibbs 1. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Dat suicide mission, doe.  Something else.

Aye, but I'm still loving the ending from ME1 even more. I started on ME2 from Origin's On the House deal, but after finishing that I decided to get ME1 and 3 and restart from the beginning. Shooting the elevator window and walking down the side of the shaft is probably going to be my favorite game cinematic moment ever.

You mentioned you had one left to do. Is it 3 or Andromeda?

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Sheehan this morning mentioned that today was the 30 year anniversary of Darrell Green's punt return against Chicago in the playoffs.

And soon will be January 26, which will be the 26th anniversary of Super Bowl 26. Which means that, come early February, there will have been 26 Super Bowls played since that one......none involving the Redskins. We haven't even been to a NFCCG since then. We haven't even won 11 games in a regular season since then. 

Wow, we really stink.....and I've been a fan for over 30 years.  ??☹️

13 hours ago, hail2skins said:

That’s my birthday. I’ll be 50 years old. To put that into a different perspective, I turned 24 the day we beat the Bills in SB 26. :( 

15 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Aye, but I'm still loving the ending from ME1 even more. I started on ME2 from Origin's On the House deal, but after finishing that I decided to get ME1 and 3 and restart from the beginning. Shooting the elevator window and walking down the side of the shaft is probably going to be my favorite game cinematic moment ever.

You mentioned you had one left to do. Is it 3 or Andromeda?

I still have ME3 to get to. I don't even count Andromeda (I might play it but it's not MUST play.)

ME1 ending is pretty cool, so is being on the outside of the Shadow Broker's ship with the lightning.  

As for the Redskins, I'm sure, as I've done recently, I'll come around here and there to check on them, but it's really not all on their lack of super bowl wins.  It certainly didn't stop me before.  I just refuse to let it take up that sort of headspace for me again.

8 minutes ago, c slag said:

Hey Jay Richardson how is switching from a Redskins fan to a Steelers fan working out for ya now?

Probably pretty good.  Divisional round of playoffs and he knows who the qb will be in 2018

Redskins fans playing hide the pickle

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Probably pretty good.  Divisional round of playoffs and he knows who the qb will be in 2018

Redskins fans playing hide the pickle

Isn’t Big Ben contemplating retirement? I knew he was last year. Steelers fans though, what an annoying group. Glad to see the Jaguars win.

People talk about Patriots fans being entitled, but Steelers fans are just straight up jerks. Bandwagoners that hitch up to them are bad enough, but even the older fans come off as obnoxious. Any time they play an in division team, they whine about those teams playing dirty while continuing to harp about the good old days when Hines Ward did crackback blocks. James Harrison was a hero that could do no wrong until he left to the Patriots. Now he's selfish scum that should have hung his cleats up years ago. Steelers fans act like senile old lords that expect the rest of the peasantry to bend knees and kiss their rings, while complaining about the young new upstarts who don't know how good they've got it. Don't get me started on the Awful Towels.

Enjoy your one-and-done bounce in the division round, fools.

14 hours ago, c slag said:

Window is starting to close on this aging Steelers team

They seem fairly young to me, aside from maybe Big Ben and Brown to a lesser extent. They'll just reload anyway, like they already have, several times over. Great franchises do not suck for eternity, because they are great franchises. They'll find another QB, and they will go right back to football dominance. Their ownership won't  allow subpar crap for long.

19 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

They'll find another QB, and they will go right back to football dominance. Their ownership won't  allow subpar crap for long.

3 coaches since before I was born and all of them took the team to multiple Super Bowls. They've never hired a Zorn or a Spurrier or even a Jay Gruden.

But Snyder really wants to win, therefore 8 head coaches in less than 2 decades and the "winner" Bruce Allen for half of that and Vinny for most of the rest. 

The only mistake Jay made was choosing the Steelers as his "new" team.  Ha,...WTF are you doing....?

As frustrated as I am as a fan of this highly mediocre franchise (trust me I've been emotionally checked out for 2 years now) there is no way I would truly switch what team I root for.  I'd be out on the NFL completely before doing that -- which is close for me.

Redskin fans sit through yet another disappointing season, which, as usual, had a few good games sprinkled in, but overall disappointing. Fingers start pointing, a few names are thrown around which does the team no good whatsoever.

You don't have to be the lead oil changer at JiffyLube to see that Bruce Allen's tenure here has been less than fruitful; in fact, its been pretty depressing. His arrogance precedes him, and has somehow developed a loyal bond and trust with Dan Snyder.

This is where the problem starts.

Take Jacksonville for example. They get a man who has a good amount of football knowledge, who has been to a few Super Bowls, and let him build a team. Now that very team is on the verge of going to the Super Bowl, and it didn't take him 8 years. Whether they beat the Pats or not, they've built a solid team from top to bottom, and will be a force in this league for the upcoming future.

Look at what Sean McVay has done with the Rams on his first season as HC; they look to be another upcoming team, although not as sound throughout as the Jags, but still caught a lot of people off guard this year. We all saw the positives he brought to this team, and now that he's gone and Jay is back to calling plays, we also see what we lost.

How the FO handles/manages this team is a joke. No wonder the team is trending down, when the GM is to stuck in his ways to see the changes that are needed on this team and acts as if he has all the answers, it will naturally have a negative affect on the fans.

I think the upcoming seasons will be painful for us fans, and there will be more and more empty seats in the stadium, and the FO will make it even harder for fans to cheer for this team. But rest assured, Bruce Allen will be in Dan's ear the whole time, and it will turn fans off even more.

This is what I want to see; a team that is organized and works as a functioning unit, but its difficult to cheer for a team that has a FO who doesn't give 2 ****s about anyone but themselves; i

ll never give up being a fan, but I'm sure it will have an affect on merchandise I buy, and in some cases it will be more extreme with others.

I think choice is a beautiful thing. It's how we exercise our freedoms.

I don't believe people are stuck with what they are born into. People are born into families with a particular religion, or a strong allegiance to one country/region. But as we grow up, we realize that there are others who share our values better, who we want to give more to and align ourselves than those we were born with. People change religions, move their homes and change their social circles as their values evolve over their lifetime.  Particularly if they have serious misgivings with their own religion/family/country/community.

I can see how someone would want to lay down some criteria for selecting a team. For example, the Packers would be attractive to someone who likes community ownership (as opposed to the billionaire owner), long-standing traditions (as opposed to expansion-team-style ), who disagrees with the values projected by full-time cheerleaders, has a stable front office policy (e.g. draft-first), etc.

The LA Rams could be attractive to someone who likes something new, wants to support young coaches, is inspired by a new exciting style of aggressive football, the team's underdog status in a new city with few fans, etc.

If someone just cared about winning, they'd have to go with the Patriots.  Deflategate be damned.

I can see lifelong Skins fans stopping and looking around and saying if I had a choice of choosing my family, my religion, my country, my friends, which would I pick? What is more aligned with my values that I feel good about regardless of wins and losses -- something me and my kids are really get into and build a community around. Who knows what each of us would pick if we did that?  

Would it be hard to make the switch? Absolutely.  Would you feel like an outsider for a while? Sure.  

But millions do when they move to new cities, new churches, new jobs. But you give and commit and build relationships and a new reality emerges.  Takes time but it if it aligns better with values, it's a stronger way to go. It sticks.

So silly -Was Art Monk a "Fake" Redskins because he played for someone after the skins?

Root for whoever you like - Take a break - Have other teams - who cares.

For me - Im 100% all Redskins because It makes the wins THAT much more special.  But there is no such thing as "Fake" fans.  

So I have a confession...something I need to get off my chest..it is absolutely %100 Officially Official that the Steelers and Bengals rivalry is the hottest and mostest alive rivalry in all sports..sure the lions and bears and the redskins and giants have been playing each other longer but that Bengals Steelers rivalry tops them all..

In '94 I was 16ish and I traded in my favorite team for the packers...Brett favre..wow...Leroy butler, mark shamura(I think that's how its spelled)sterling..not Shannon Sharpe, oh and what made it final was the greatest defensive player ever the late great Reggie White..I can go on with a bigger list of players that I fell in love with.

So down came my redskins posters...wow..holy ****.. it just hit me ..in the early early 90s obviously when we beat buffalo in the Super Bowl you were able to get all kinds of Redskins merchandise here at the local sports stores, now not so much LOL so I took my "the Posse" poster down and replaced it with a Reggie White poster and of course all of my shirts and hats went from burgundy and gold to green and gold... and the most absolute weirdest thing happened it was in the middle of the day and I was taking a nap and I woke from a dead sleep and took my Reggie White poster down and that's when I started to mature LOL I knew where my heart was meant to be..

If this kind of bizarreness happens in my adult life..I'm going to be a fan of the Steelers or Bengals...or both..there I said it..

On 1/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, TMK9973 said:

So silly -Was Art Monk a "Fake" Redskins because he played for someone after the skins?

Root for whoever you like - Take a break - Have other teams - who cares.

For me - Im 100% all Redskins because It makes the wins THAT much more special.  But there is no such thing as "Fake" fans.  

So can you explain "that guy" that's at the sports bar jumping from table to table rooting your team on one minute then rooting on the team you're playing against the next minute all because of fantasy football?.. and I'm talking about the guy that admits he has no favorite team no real favorite player just in it for winning Fantasy Football...the guy that doesn't even care about the play that was made by the player that won him points in his fantasy...just as long as he got the touch down right lol

2 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

So can you explain "that guy" that's at the sports bar jumping from table to table rooting your team on one minute then rooting on the team you're playing against the next minute all because of fantasy football?.. and I'm talking about the guy that admits he has no favorite team no real favorite player just in it for winning Fantasy Football...the guy that doesn't even care about the play that was made by the player that won him points in his fantasy...just as long as he got the touch down right lol

Fantasy football fans don't really matter when it comes to team fandom. "That guy" at the sports bar isn't claiming that he loves the team. He claims he loves the player. Same goes for people that focus on betting. They aren't fans, they're players of a different game that happens to involve football.

I don't know, I switched from the Yankees to the Nationals when DC finally got a baseball team, does that make me a fake fan?  I'm from Fairfax, Va, I can count the number of times I've been to New York on my right hand.  

I don't see the point in leaving when every team eventually sucks.  You'll just be bouncing around the rest of your life, that's a fake fan.  This guy can't be considered a Redskins fan anymore if he's truly switched allegiances.  But I'm not going to lose sleep if he switches back, more power to him.

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I

I don't see the point in leaving when every team eventually sucks.  You'll just be bouncing around the rest of your life, that's a fake fan.  

It would be different if the owner and his right hand man were likable figures.  It's hard to like losers but it's even more difficult when the losers are pricks.  I can certainly understand how folks lose interest in the franchise because of that.  

Archived