Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Doctson the new 50/50?

Redskinscub

Yes it's preseason. But the articles are out there. The talk about him being back to his old self like at TCU. We'll see. That and if he isn't then Gruden will have plenty to explain. I am a kool aid drinker. But after Pryor last year, I'm of the prove it during the season mindset. He does come off as timid. Hoping Smith can push him.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not gonna needlessly worry if it's both "precautionary" and he's expected to begin practice in 2 days, when everyone else does.

That is exactly it.  But I have never read or heard of a player getting a "precautionary MRI" two days before camp officially begins, and I have no idea what that even means.

But I do know that I do not give a **** about anything except his production on the field this year. And if does not produce this year, his third year as a number 1 pick, the dude is a bust. Period.  Sure I have seen the potential and I think he did have his chances last year with mixed results.  That is a fact.  Perception is 20/20. 

We have had hype, hype, hype about Doctson being back to full form, and Alex Smith and him working so fantastically together on timing, and how great it is in the off season blah, blah blah.  Let's see translation on the field in the real season.

I fall for the hype every year about this team like any fan, but this little nugget is NOT something I want to hear now one day before camp starts.   

39 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I fall for the hype every year about this team like any fan, but this little nugget is NOT something I want to hear now one day before camp starts.   

I'm with you 100% here.... but i've heard some floating out there, that this 'precautionary' MRI was to confirm that whatever was going on has completely healed PRIOR to him testing it on the field.  My rational self thinks... you don't get an MRI unless there's a reason, but my common sense self looks feels like this could make sense.  Get this thing on film and confirm that whatever he had going on is not a non-issue, even if he's showing no symptoms.  

I'm leaning more toward the skeptical side of it and wondering if that isn't just spin to try to save face, but who knows.  

Yeah, heard this on the way in.  Geez Louise, what next with this guy?

I am leaning toward the line of thought getting the total clean bill of health so this guy will practice without excuses but if they have to go through this to get him to put forth effort, we have a worse problem than a potential injury...lack of heart.

12 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I am leaning toward the line of thought getting the total clean bill of health so this guy will practice without excuses but if they have to go through this to get him to put forth effort, we have a worse problem than a potential injury...lack of heart.

Yeah, when players are finishing up recovery, a lot of the time to do a follow up MRI to confirm before they're cleared.  This could be a similar thing to verify prior to camp?   Of course, I may just be spinning it in my own mind to make it make sense.  

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Word is, the MRI results showed he is 100% healed from his previous injury.

The light is fully green for Doc.

Let's all calmmmmm down (I wasn't calm until I read this). Can you cite the source?

7 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The argument the guy is trying to make is that it’s been “two years”. When last year was essentially doctsons rookie year, in terms of having to learn the playbook. He’s not even taking into account that it takes some WRs 3 FULL seasons to actually show their full potential. 

If it were a Cowboys WR then I would probably be saying the same thing to them... Just busting balls like we're supposed to do. At least we didn't draft Laquan Treadwell; he's all on board the bust train.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:37 AM, wit33 said:

Confident Doctson will put together a great season. The catching windows he creates is elite. 

Fans use this against him though, not realizing he can get his hands on a ball that would have been overthrown to any other WR.  They count it as a drop instead of understanding it was a bad throw. 

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

This is the first I've heard of Doctson refusing to practice. Who reported it?

Josh Doctson (leg) will be a full go for the start of training camp.

Doctson recently underwent a precautionary MRI on his leg, though it looks like everything came back clean. The 25-year-old led the Redskins with six receiving touchdowns a year ago but caught just 35 of his 78 targets (44.9 percent) while earning poor marks from ProFootballFocus. Through two seasons, the TCU alum has yet to live up to his first-round billing.

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Precautionary MRIs are done a lot on players with previous injuries. The purpose is to make sure while they were working on their own they did not re-injure something. You can't always feel them. Typically the team asks for it but not always. But instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt based on all the reports last year and so far this year about how hard he has worked and how much he wants to contribute and how much him and Alex have been working - it's much easier to jump straight to he has no heart?

Anyone that has done even the slightest bit of research on the guy knows to not question his heart. You can start here if you are so inclined: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/how-tcus-josh-doctson-went-from-walk-on-to-preseason-all-conference

Or here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/31/nfl-draft-2016-josh-doctson-tcu-wyoming

Some similar comments but some good stuff. 

He may indeed be a bust due to injury or not being able to translate his game to the NFL. But why jump to questioning his character?  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There were rumblings that he could have practiced and didn't going back to his rookie season.  Hence, the 'soft' accusations.  Obviously, none of us know the truth.

Yeah, but from what RFK was saying, Doctson was refusing to practice this offseason, and that he needed an MRI to convince him he's fine. That's news to me.

Unless, of course, his whole post is a 2 year old "homesickness of the knees" throwback. Been a while since we've had one of those.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There were rumblings that he could have practiced and didn't going back to his rookie season.  Hence, the 'soft' accusations.  Obviously, none of us know the truth.

Actually that was just from some of the media. The team and Josh were frustrated because the team doctors could not completely diagnose the issue. But it's his body. It has to be right. If you remember he did try and come back but it still hurt. He was right to sit out and get fully healed. 

54 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Fans use this against him though, not realizing he can get his hands on a ball that would have been overthrown to any other WR.  They count it as a drop instead of understanding it was a bad throw. 

Because his catching radius is what will make him successful, so it’s expected. He doesn’t get separation. If he gets two hands on it and doesn’t hall it in it’s a drop. 

29 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah, but from what RFK was saying, Doctson was refusing to practice this offseason, and that he needed an MRI to convince him he's fine. That's news to me.

Unless, of course, his whole post is a 2 year old "homesickness of the knees" throwback. Been a while since we've had one of those.

"Leaning toward line of thought" suggests it is my opinion, no facts other than what media has spun up, again not having an inside source means most of my statement is based on conjecture and the lack of heart is simply a hypothesis, not proven.  Hope to hell he proves all doubters wrong but simply stating given recent history what could be a plausible explanation for the pre-emptive MRI before camp.  I would say if you go back to some of Gruden's pressers last year, there seemed to be some frustration surrounding Doctson, could be the questions from the press or could be with the training staff or could be with the toughness of the player, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

Yessss

The catch percentage stat is annoying as well, as it reflects poorly on guys who make plays on the sidelines, down the field, 50/50 balls... further away from the line of scrimmage.

Not that he’s excused or doesn’t need work on route running and being more of a presence on slants. 

Its concerning, you don't do MRI's without a reason and I don't expect Jay would tell us the truth because he doesn't want to answer 1000 questions about it.

Doctson and Reed better be ready to play or they will be gone after this year, its do or die for both.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We paid Jordan Reed a mint, so he’s going to be fine regardless.  He really hasn’t done anything since he got paid actually.

It's killing us, I believe we're ready to actually be a formidable opponent on a week to week basis but our WR situation scares the hell out of me.

Archived