Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not even sure who is available that would help us that much, besides P. Peterson. I mean, we need a LG, and what? CB is thin right now, so Peterson makes sense. Speed OLB? FS? (by the way, one popped up just before the season and we did nothing about that) Outside of that, I don't think a WR is going to have any impact here.

I think Tate is about the only one.

He's the prototypical receiver for what Alex Smith is good at.

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not even sure who is available that would help us that much, besides P. Peterson. I mean, we need a LG, and what? CB is thin right now, so Peterson makes sense. Speed OLB? FS? (by the way, one popped up just before the season and we did nothing about that) Outside of that, I don't think a WR is going to have any impact here.

I kind of agree, but they're going to need a WR this year and beyond.  So I'm not opposed to a WR on that basis.  But all the youngish guys have moved already.  

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I think Tate is about the only one.

He's the prototypical receiver for what Alex Smith is good at.

I don't think Tate is going to make any real impact here. Right now, Smith is throwing the ball inaccurately. Not just the missed passes, but all the other ones that high/behind/low that make it impossible to get YAC. We already have guys that can get it if the ball placement is better. So, giving a 9 game rental for a guy that isn't going to make a difference because he's kinda redundant and the QB is killing that part anyway.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Read somewhere Chandler Jones might be available.  It might be intriguing adding a real stud pass rusher to this D line.  We were 24th in sacks until last week.  They aren't going to play the Giants O line every week.  i like our pass rushers but no one is Jones.

Where do you put him though? OLB? At 6'5" and 265 you can't play him @ DE here, except when we go our 4/2 package. I'm not sure he can really play OLB.

14 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Where do you put him though? OLB? At 6'5" and 265 you can't play him @ DE here, except when we go our 4/2 package. I'm not sure he can really play OLB.

That's what he played OLB in Arizona until they changed it to 4-3 this year.  I believe he even played some 3-4 OLB with the Pats.  He's an elite pass rusher and run stuffer -- the full package.  I like Preston Smith but you can package him in this deal perhaps or just let him go in FA at the end of the year.  This dude is Dexter Manley level good.  A beast.   Intriguing to have that off the edge with this D line.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what he played OLB in Arizona until they changed it to 4-3 this year.  I believe he even played some 3-4 OLB with the Pats.  He's an elite pass rusher and run stuffer -- the full package.  I like Preston Smith but you can package him in this deal perhaps or just let him go in FA at the end of the year.  This dude is Dexter Manley level good.  A beast.   Intriguing to have that off the edge with this D line.

OK, that's good to know.  Knowing that, I completely agree. That cat would help the secondary a ton, and put us over the edge with a dominant defense. Someone like that, could make the D so good we might be able to challenge the top NFC teams.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

If it's gonna happen, it would happen today, not sure what time their practice starts so who knows.  Again, I don't think they do it, just an intriguing thought.  

Well you may be right about Lauletta's stock being low... He was just arrested this morning for a "traffic violation."

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

OK, that's good to know.  Knowing that, I completely agree. That cat would help the secondary a ton, and put us over the edge with a dominant defense. Someone like that, could make the D so good we might be able to challenge the top NFC teams.

Yeah my thought is if they want to be Denver level elite defense, the year they won a SB, that's the missing component, the Von Miller type.  Kerrigan is good-consistent.  Preston is decent.  But neither guy scares the heck out of a QB.  Chandler Jones is that type of pass rusher.  

15 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

@Skinsinparadise What do you give up to get him you think, Chandler Jones that is.

I'd try a 2nd but if they don't take it I'd consider a first.  I am not typically willing to give up a first rounder.  I think the Amari Cooper deal via Dallas was dumb.  But elite pass rushers don't grow on trees  Jones may not be Von Miller but he's not a mile away from him.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/16/chandler-jones-believes-shift-to-4-3-defense-will-be-big-for-robert-nkemdiche/

,,, now in his second year in the desert and with a new contract in hand, has looked incredibly dominant. Through 11 games, he has 12 sacks and is well on his way to a monster end to the season. Even more, the Cardinals have lost a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball and he is still managing to put up these big numbers. Calais Campbell is gone (a stalwart along the defensive line) and Markus Golden has been out most of the year with injury.

So with all of this in mind, it begs the question: is Jones the best pass rusher in Arizona Cardinals history?

To me, it’s a yes. It hasn’t even been quite two seasons, but the havoc Jones causes on the outside is undisputed. Since coming to Arizona, Jones has the most sacks and most tackles for loss of any player in the NFL during that span (per Mark Dalton of the Arizona Cardinals). Not to mention, Jones is also excellent in run support. His length and speed cause so many issues for opposing offensive lines and his ability to track down the quarterback is unparalleled.

The Cardinals have had a few successful pass rushers since they moved to Arizona. Ken Harvey, Simeon Rice, Eric Swann, Dockett and Campbell are all guys who have done it and did it for a longer period of time in Arizona than Jones has. But watching Jones do what he does with such ease, one has to think his best play is still in front of him.

So yes, it’s a little early to be calling this race. And this opinion could come back to bite me. But I am saying it now: Arizona has the pass rushing position locked down for the next 5-7 years and we could be set to witness, statistically, the best sack artist ever to don a Cardinals uniform.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I would trade our first for Jones and a third for Djax and make a legit run at the superbowl this season. 

I'm not sure this would position us well for the future and furthermore, don't think it gets our team on par with the Rams, let alone KC/Pats for a legit shot at a SB win.

I think the FO only needs to consider those investments that are not short term in nature. DJax for a 3rd is way high for a guy who *might* have an impact but definitely *will* prevent us from taking young players in the draft that could fill in where we are desperately thin (OL, ILB, TE). 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

D.Thomas to the Texans

As for the Skins if I was GM. I'd trade a 4th for Tate and extend him for 3 years and sign Dez to a one year deal. To me doing nothing with how bad our WRs are is stupid. 

Do something Allen for God's sake.

QB is more of an issue right now. Throwing a ton of resources at WR isn't going to change that.

3 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

D.Thomas to the Texans

As for the Skins if I was GM. I'd trade a 4th for Tate and extend him for 3 years and sign Dez to a one year deal. To me doing nothing with how bad our WRs are is stupid. 

Do something Allen for God's sake.

Do you know which group of receivers in the NFL have the lowest drop rate? (Hint it's ours).

Maybe receiver is not the biggest issue in the struggles of our passing game. 

Archived