Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

14 hours ago, Jericho said:

One of the biggest problems in trading for a WR is the fact it takes time for anyone to get up to speed. What the Pats did with Gordon is a decent example and it really took close to 4 weeks for Gordon to get going. Speaking of which, Gordon was probably the right answer here trade wise. Cheap contract, still young, and not costing much in compensation. Garçon looks pretty washed up with a ton of money left on his contract. Thomas is young and better, but with one huge year left on his contract. And DJax would seem to be a poor fit in an offense where the QB doesn't throw downfield. And of course, all of them likely wouldn't do much for several weeks. Basically none seem like great options

Gordon also hadnt really been in training camp, showed up and played, and then hurt his hammy and didn't play again until after he got traded.  So that also contributed to him being slow to get going.  

18 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Trading for Demarius Thomas isn't crazy. Trading only Colt for him would be crazy. Trading something/someone along with Colt is not crazy.

Now for actually crazy stuff we shouldn't talk about? I guess you're right. Like talking about trading Khalil Mack for two first round draft picks. No one would do that! ?

Or trading a first rounder for Amari Cooper.

I havn't looked, but I hope noone suggested that crazy idea.

19 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Trading for Demarius Thomas isn't crazy. Trading only Colt for him would be crazy. Trading something/someone along with Colt is not crazy.

Now for actually crazy stuff we shouldn't talk about? I guess you're right. Like talking about trading Khalil Mack for two first round draft picks. No one would do that! ?

Oh I agree, just saying lets talk about a real package for him, not just a career back up QB 

I just don't view adding WRs as good mid season trades. How much time does it take for QB and WR to gain continuity?  3-4 weeks or sometimes a season.  I don't view these trades as good mid season moves. 

Skins need a CB really bad.  These trades, even as rentals for mid season runs aren't burdened with the continuity link. 

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Just read a tid bit on NFL.com  about how the Giants should shop Landon Collins..that he could be had for a 3rd?!!

I believe that's just rumor.

It's only half true, meaning the trade interest is one-sided ; that teams are calling NY about Collins, but NY is not interested in dealing him.

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Just read a tid bit on NFL.com  about how the Giants should shop Landon Collins..that he could be had for a 3rd?!!

I can't imagine Mara would ever sign off on us getting  a player from them at fair market value.  If he could be had for a 3rd, we'd have to likely pay a 1st / 2nd, or a 3rd + additional picks.  

That said.. I'd love to see Collins here.  We have a good defense already, and he could possibly put it over the top.  DJ would have to play a lot of CF as Collins is not the best in pass coverage, but his ability to crash down is GREAT.  

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Send next years 4th to Denver for Demaryius Thomas... Solves a lot of problems. True #1, possession receiver.

I'd be for this... I want to say that Denver has come out and said he's not on the market, I KNOW they said that about Sanders, but for some reason I thought they shut the door on both.  With Sutton showing flashes, and their need to improve, it would make sense that they want to get value for him.  

Alex's problem is that he doesn't like to throw to a WR who doesn't have separation... Demaryius has lost a step and isn't the guy to solve this issue. On top of that, he's on the hook for $17M next year, so he would likely be a half-season rental. Couple all of the fact that Alex doesn't target WRs in general, I don't see the benefit. 

We're not one player away. The only mid-season trades that I'm looking for are for young players or players on team-friendly deals; both of which are rare and expensive. Mortgaging any bit of the future for a short term, minimal gain is something that I don't understand.

9 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Alex's problem is that he doesn't like to throw to a WR who doesn't have separation... Demaryius has lost a step and isn't the guy to solve this issue. On top of that, he's on the hook for $17M next year, so he would likely be a half-season rental. Couple all of the fact that Alex doesn't target WRs in general, I don't see the benefit. 

We're not one player away. The only mid-season trades that I'm looking for are for young players or players on team-friendly deals; both of which are rare and expensive. Mortgaging any bit of the future for a short term, minimal gain is something that I don't understand.

lol man i said almost the exact same thing about Fitz in that thread haha.  

I do think Thomas has more separation than others... and i will freely admit that when I endorsed the deal, I had not looked at the financial side of it regarding his salary.   For some reason I thought he was under a better contract.  Definitely more hesitant looking at his contract situation.  

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

lol man i said almost the exact same thing about Fitz in that thread haha.  

I do think Thomas has more separation than others... and i will freely admit that when I endorsed the deal, I had not looked at the financial side of it regarding his salary.   For some reason I thought he was under a better contract.  Definitely more hesitant looking at his contract situation.  

:cheers: 

Yea they are very similar players. I'd MUCH prefer Emmanuel Sanders if he was an option over either of the aforementioned. He's an excellent slot WR who always gains separation. Short routes + separation = happy Alex.

Just now, CTskin said:

:cheers: 

Yea they are very similar players. I'd MUCH prefer Emmanuel Sanders if he was an option over either of the aforementioned. He's an excellent slot WR who always gains separation. Short routes + separation = happy Alex.

I thought we had that... Crowder.   What limited time we saw with Crowder, it wasn't exactly mind blowing.  A small part of me wonders if Quinn isn't gonna have better results with Smith because they actually got to practice together.  Quinn didn't get any 'vet' days, and he was likely running the slot position during camp and practices prior to getting hurt.   

It's a reach, I know... 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I thought we had that... Crowder.   What limited time we saw with Crowder, it wasn't exactly mind blowing.  A small part of me wonders if Quinn isn't gonna have better results with Smith because they actually got to practice together.  Quinn didn't get any 'vet' days, and he was likely running the slot position during camp and practices prior to getting hurt.   

It's a reach, I know... 

I'm one of the few who's down on Crowder. I said it in another thread, I think a lot of people only remember the post-2016 season hype. I don't want to say that he has regressed since then, but he certainly didn't take another step forward and hasn't been any bit of a gamechanger. Emmanuel is a proven top tier slot WR.

I'm right there with you on Quinn. I think he will be a legitimate starter, but no idea how high his upside is. I believe we fully intend to let Crowder walk in FA after this year. 

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I'm one of the few who's down on Crowder. I said it in another thread, I think a lot of people only remember the post-2016 season hype. I don't want to say that he has regressed since then, but he certainly didn't take another step forward and hasn't been any bit of a gamechanger. Emmanuel is a proven top tier slot WR.

I'm right there with you on Quinn. I think he will be a legitimate starter, but no idea how high his upside is. I believe we fully intend to let Crowder walk in FA after this year. 

I'm with ya 100%.  I've been ready to let Crowder go since the offseason.  I was HOPEFUL we were use him and he was gonna prove me wrong but... that Dallas game last year killed me.  You're right... that 2016 hype was real, but I worry about his hands, and now more-so, his durability.  

10 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm with ya 100%.  I've been ready to let Crowder go since the offseason.  I was HOPEFUL we were use him and he was gonna prove me wrong but... that Dallas game last year killed me.  You're right... that 2016 hype was real, but I worry about his hands, and now more-so, his durability.  

Jesus man, if we agree any more we're going to need to get a room!

Wanted to bump this with the trade deadline approaching. A couple of names I would have some interest in. 

Golden Tate: Basically a 9 game rental. he is a FA at the end of the season. But he would give us a vertical threat for the playoff run.

Janoris Jenkins: Not a great CB. But in the top half of the league. And I think you could probably get him for a mid to late rounder. Would be a good mentor for our young and banged up secondary. And a good fit across from Norman.

Walterfootball's take/opinion on trade block players:

http://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php

Raiders DE/OLB Bruce Irvin could be traded
Peter King mentioned that Bruce Irvin could be the next veteran the Raiders could unload. That makes sense, as Irvin, 31 in November, will earn $9 million in 2019. He's not going to be part of the re-building process

Washington Redskins: The Redskins have a great defensive line, but their edge rush is lacking outside of Ryan Kerrigan. Irvin would be a nice complement for Kerrigan.

Lions make WR Golden Tate available for trade
Golden Tate is in his contract year, so it would make sense that the Lions are making him available for trade. Tate turns 31 this offseason, but he could really help a team get over the hump this year. Per reports, the Lions are requesting a fourth-round pick for Tate, which sounds fair.

Washington Redskins: The Redskins are atop the division, thanks to their defense and running game. Their passing attack is pretty pedestrian, but that would change with Tate aiding Alex Smith. Tate seems like the exact type of receiver Smith would love to throw to.

Archived