Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Golden Tate is good, but I'm not interested in any half-season rental for a mid-round pick. Especially, given the value which we've been getting out of our mid-round picks in the recent drafts. Mortgaging our future for small benefit now isn't smart. To keep with the housing analogy, it feels like we'd be signing a sub-prime, ninja loan...

Being that the Raiders are fire-saleing, I'd target a few players on that team for late round picks: Martavis Bryant, Gareon Conley, DRC, Karl Joseph.

I don't think this FO has ever made a trade at the deadline, so I'm not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I wanna say we have all of our picks except for the 6th, right?

And comp picccccks!

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hope we're not that dysfunctional, but it would be nice to see that kind of emotion from him. :ols:

lol... 

that was more a point that Jay needs to understand his job is on the line, and a flat 10 games will not be good for his employment status.  If he wants to remain here, he's put himself in a position to do that.  5-2 through 7 having already gone through the toughest part of our schedule.  Even if we weren't in a season with a terrible NFC we'd be in good shape.  We have a manageable schedule from here and even a regression to 5-4 over the next 9 puts us at 10-6 and likely a division title with a home game in the playoffs.  We need to do something.

The other 'out of left field' thought that I had the other day was.... If the Giants are having a fire sale, and expected to invest HIGH in the QB position next draft... why dont we kick the tires on Lauletta?  Are the Giants going to invest in him for the future?  He may come in and play a few games this year, but everything I've heard is that the future QB of the Giants is not on the current roster.  What if we could get him for a 5th?  Have him on his rookie deal work for a couple years while Smith is still under contract.  If after next season it's clear he's not the future, you move on.  Smith still has about 3 years of contract that you cant move from.  

Just now, OVCChairman said:

lol... 

that was more a point that Jay needs to understand his job is on the line, and a flat 10 games will not be good for his employment status.  If he wants to remain here, he's put himself in a position to do that.  5-2 through 7 having already gone through the toughest part of our schedule.  Even if we weren't in a season with a terrible NFC we'd be in good shape.  We have a manageable schedule from here and even a regression to 5-4 over the next 9 puts us at 10-6 and likely a division title with a home game in the playoffs.  We need to do something.

The other 'out of left field' thought that I had the other day was.... If the Giants are having a fire sale, and expected to invest HIGH in the QB position next draft... why dont we kick the tires on Lauletta?  Are the Giants going to invest in him for the future?  He may come in and play a few games this year, but everything I've heard is that the future QB of the Giants is not on the current roster.  What if we could get him for a 5th?  Have him on his rookie deal work for a couple years while Smith is still under contract.  If after next season it's clear he's not the future, you move on.  Smith still has about 3 years of contract that you cant move from.  

Outside of a colossal meltdown, like the last time we were 5-2, Gruden is safe.

We should have pulled the trigger on Lauletta in the draft. They just used a 4rth on him. Doubt they give up so quickly for a 5th.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Outside of a colossal meltdown, like the last time we were 5-2, Gruden is safe.

We should have pulled the trigger on Lauletta in the draft. They just used a 4rth on him. Doubt they give up so quickly for a 5th.

I know, but Zorn started 5-2 the year he was fired and finished 3-6.  That's what I mean, even a step BACK to 5-4 I think he's still safe, but it's not how you start, it's how you finish.  

Everything I've seen regarding the team is that they plan on taking a QB early in April.  Why would they hold onto him then?  They just gave up their best D-lineman who was a multi-time pro-bowler for a 5th.... 

17 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Golden Tate and Patrick Peterson..... How much would that run us?

We don't have the funds for that. I believe we have $9M, so even one would involve some cap ballet.

27 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Everything I've seen regarding the team is that they plan on taking a QB early in April.  Why would they hold onto him then?  They just gave up their best D-lineman who was a multi-time pro-bowler for a 5th.... 

That's apples and oranges amigo. A young QB in the grooming stage vs a very expensive DL. As rare as a Redskins trade-deadline deal is, if it's even more rare to see an inter-division trade in the NFCE... the only ones are where we end up hosed (see: McNabb). I don't see any way that the Giants give us any piece that they view as valuable. On top of that, I don't think our FO is even thinking about addressing the QB position at the moment.

You have to keep in mind what trades do to team chemistry.

Trading for Tate would be smart because we need a reciever like him and we could drop someone who was picked up mid season and hasn't built a long term rapport with teammates.

But guys like Bruce Irvin would force us to release someone who could have a serious impact on chemistry.

And someone mentioned lauletta, that seems crazy to me to bring in an unproven player like that mid-season and import a quarterback controversy intentionally. 

Receiver like Tate and maybe a cornerback if the price is right other than that I'd stand pat and continue what we've been doing building through the draft with young hungry players who feel like core redskins.

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

That's apples and oranges amigo. A young QB in the grooming stage vs a very expensive DL. As rare as a Redskins trade-deadline deal is, if it's even more rare to see an inter-division trade in the NFCE... the only ones are where we end up hosed (see: McNabb). I don't see any way that the Giants give us any piece that they view as valuable. On top of that, I don't think our FO is even thinking about addressing the QB position at the moment.

Im with ya, I have zero hope that something like that happens... but.....  I actually don't think they value him.  I think they took him with the idea that Eli had 2 more years and they could do what we did this year and find themselves competitive in a down NFC.  Problem is they aren't competitive and they need to make a move.  I think they go QB in the first this draft and Lauletta's value is completely gone, unless he comes in a few games this year and lights things up.  If he doesn't prove over the next 6 months that he's a starting QB, I think they lose their WR corps quickly if they don't address it with a hard to miss stud.  

I know it's apples / oranges as far as DT vs QB, but I more was looking at their willingness to trade assets at a lower cost. 

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Im with ya, I have zero hope that something like that happens... but.....  I actually don't think they value him.  I think they took him with the idea that Eli had 2 more years and they could do what we did this year and find themselves competitive in a down NFC.  Problem is they aren't competitive and they need to make a move.  I think they go QB in the first this draft and Lauletta's value is completely gone, unless he comes in a few games this year and lights things up.  If he doesn't prove over the next 6 months that he's a starting QB, I think they lose their WR corps quickly if they don't address it with a hard to miss stud.  

I know it's apples / oranges as far as DT vs QB, but I more was looking at their willingness to trade assets at a lower cost. 

Word is that Lauletta is getting some first-team reps this week. He still has plenty of value because they need to see what they have in him; if he is a stud then maybe they won't need to go QB with their 1st. Highly unlikely, I know, but he was a mid-round pick who has been groomed for a year so it'd be an odd time to give up. His value will decline after the season and after the draft if they draft a QB early.

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Word is that Lauletta is getting some first-team reps this week. He still has plenty of value because they need to see what they have in him; if he is a stud then maybe they won't need to go QB with their 1st. Highly unlikely, I know, but he was a mid-round pick who has been groomed for a year so it'd be an odd time to give up. His value will decline after the season and after the draft if they draft a QB early.

If it's gonna happen, it would happen today, not sure what time their practice starts so who knows.  Again, I don't think they do it, just an intriguing thought.  

@OVCChairmanI’d love to trade for Lualetta, and I like your thinking - go after a young guy to groom behind Smith, particularly because we likely won’t be in a position to pick a qb early any time soon.  But... he’s their 2012/2013 Kirk Cousins - they’re going to need a backup next year regardless of whether they draft a 1st rounder or roll with Manning 1 more year (and it helps to have one that knows the system a bit).  

Not saying he’s ‘untradeable’, but I think you’d have to at least give up more than they spent to get him.    

I'm not even sure who is available that would help us that much, besides P. Peterson. I mean, we need a LG, and what? CB is thin right now, so Peterson makes sense. Speed OLB? FS? (by the way, one popped up just before the season and we did nothing about that) Outside of that, I don't think a WR is going to have any impact here.

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. It would be deadly. For us not having a FS.

btw, our conversation regarding just this the other day swayed me a bit.  I would LOVE to see Collins in a Skins uni, but the more I actually look objectively, it's not because of his play, but because of his love for Sean T.  I agree, I don't think him and DJ on the field is our best option.  

Archived