Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

7 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Unfortunately they keep nominating Geriatric Democrat instead.  

I've been on repeat for awhile, but if Booker runs and isn't nominated (Pres or VP) for the ticket in 2020, the Dems made a yuge mistake.

Tbf though...I've seen a lot of younger women running this year for the Dem positions. The true Trump effect?

Judges Order North Carolina to Redraw Voting Maps After Illegal Republican Gerrymandering

(RALEIGH, N.C.) — Federal judges have ruled that North Carolina’s congressional district map drawn by legislative Republicans is illegally gerrymandered because of excessive partisanship that gave the GOP a rock-solid advantage for most seats and must quickly be redone.

The ruling late Tuesday marks the second time this decade that the GOP’s congressional boundaries in the state have been thrown out by a three-judge panel. In 2016, another panel tossed out two majority black congressional districts initially drawn in 2011, saying there was no justification for using race as the predominant factor in forming them. The redrawn map was the basis for a new round of lawsuits.

Click on the link for the full article

U.S. top court blocks redraw of North Carolina congressional maps

Jan 18 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday blocked a lower court's order for North Carolina to rework its congressional map because Republicans violated the Constitution by drawing electoral districts intended to maximize their party's chances of winning.

The conservative-majority court granted a bid by Republican legislators in North Carolina to suspend the Jan. 9 order by a federal court panel in Greensboro that gave the Republican-controlled General Assembly until Jan. 24 to come up with a new map for U.S. House of Representatives districts.

Two liberal justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, objected to the high court's action.

The Supreme Court's decision to stay the order reduces the chance that the current district lines will be altered ahead of the November mid-term congressional elections. The court offered no reason for its decision.

38 minutes ago, Gallen5862 said:

U.S. top court blocks redraw of North Carolina congressional maps

Jan 18 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday blocked a lower court's order for North Carolina to rework its congressional map because Republicans violated the Constitution by drawing electoral districts intended to maximize their party's chances of winning.

The conservative-majority court granted a bid by Republican legislators in North Carolina to suspend the Jan. 9 order by a federal court panel in Greensboro that gave the Republican-controlled General Assembly until Jan. 24 to come up with a new map for U.S. House of Representatives districts.

Two liberal justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, objected to the high court's action.

The Supreme Court's decision to stay the order reduces the chance that the current district lines will be altered ahead of the November mid-term congressional elections. The court offered no reason for its decision.

It's a ****ing embarrassment that this is permitted to happen in our country. If SCOTUS deems this legal on a 5-4 vote it will go down as one of the worst and most destructive decisions this court could possibly make. Before any idiot claims the Dems did this in NC in the past, NEVER has it been this egregious. I think the worst was maybe 8-5, but mainly it was 7-6. 

Literally, the only reason that it's not worse, meaning 53% winning 11 seats to 2, is cause the GOP admitted they couldn't come up with a way to do it. 

31 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I'd much rather tar a politician for what he says, rather than who he says it to.  

If I'm a politician, I'll accept almost any invitation I can get, so talk at people.  It's publicity, and part of my job.  Maybe I'll turn them down, if I think my presence will serve as some kind of endorsement (that I don't want to endorse).  

Archived