Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

How long one owns property, and not an assessed value based on fair market value or something objective? 

That seems screwy to me.

Oh, it's based on assessed value. IF the purchaser is from outside Florida. Or is a new buyer. 

But once it's bought, then the taxes are set at what the value WAS, when it was bought. No matter how much the real value goes up, the taxes stay pretty much the same. The taxes on the identical place next door might go way up. (If it gets sold). But not your place. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I've already received four mailings telling me to support an amendment to continue Florida's "your property taxes are based on how long you've owned property in Florida" law.

It's on the ballot in November.  

On one hand I certainly feel like I'm renting property from the govt , on the other taxes are needed.

I've paid more taxes than my property's value over the last 30 yrs

2 hours ago, Larry said:

I've already received four mailings telling me to support an amendment to continue Florida's "your property taxes are based on how long you've owned property in Florida" law.

It's on the ballot in November.  

that is the law that has killed California.  It's the worst idea ever.  Don't do it.

7 minutes ago, techboy said:

Hey... It's worked great for California. Hasn't crippled the budget at all. You should ask @Predictoabout it. He's a big fan.

:headbang:

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

that is the law that has killed California.  It's the worst idea ever.  Don't do it.

:headbang:

I fully intend to vote against it. 

I also fully expect it to be renewed, by overwhelming numbers. I'm surprised they're even spending money to promote the thing, this far out. 

On 1/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, Larry said:

I fully intend to vote against it. 

I also fully expect it to be renewed, by overwhelming numbers. I'm surprised they're even spending money to promote the thing, this far out. 

It's the unintended consequences that bites states in the ass on these type of bills.

It stifles home sales thus creating inflated home prices because of limited stock, it cripples education budgets because they usually rely on property taxes, and generally creates statewide budget gaps.

Plus the idea that someone bought a house 20 years ago for $100,000 and pays taxes against a value of $148,600 now (in California, assessed value cannot go up by more than 2% each year) vs the guy next door who bought the same cookie cutter house last year for $450,000 (and pays prop taxes against that value) is simply silly

15 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

WOW. That is chilling. 

What happens next? This seems like the nuclear option, but can they hold the senate president in contempt? Who do the police listen to in that situation? I'd assume the Governor?

I assume that what happens is, 

1)  The court will accept this refusal as a refulal.  

2)  And the court will draw new districts.  (In the case of Florida, the court was forced to simply rule that the districts drawn by the plaintifs -The League of Women Voters and other groups - were the new districts, since the Legislature was unwilling/unable to draw districts which complied with the constitution.)

3)  And will issue appropriate orders to the county election clerks, telling them where the new districts are.  

Edit:  

Clicked the link, and read the actual document(?) photographed in the tweet.  According to said document, the court ordered new districts, and demanded precinct-level voting data, so that the court could draw districts, if they had to.  And apparently, the Legislature is advancing legislation to redraw districts.  They're simply refusing to turn over the voting data.  (Claiming that the court is trying to take away their authority to redraw the districts, themselves.)  

Could make the legislature's position seem less scary that what I originally thought was going on, from the tweet.  

19 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

WOW. That is chilling. 

What happens next? This seems like the nuclear option, but can they hold the senate president in contempt? Who do the police listen to in that situation? I'd assume the Governor?

Wasn't that one appealed to SCOTUS and a stay issued?

so many of them it is hard to keep track.

appealed but not ruled on yet

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/u-s-supreme-court-to-consider-pennsylvania-redistricting-stay-1.2296179

Archived