Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Join registration groups to register as many people as possible. Doesn't matter party or independents. 

Make sure people check their registration that it's correct because of voter suppression laws. 

Make sure you know your dates for registration and make them known to others, re: voter suppression laws.

Volunteer to drive people to the polls. You can sign up with your local party.

PA Supreme Court Justice who wanted to keep gerrymandering in effect failed to disclose campaign contributions from GOP defendant in the lawsuit.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pennsylvania-judge-gerrymandering-lawsuit_us_5a787b05e4b0905433b6cf0c?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

A Republican Pennsylvania Supreme Court justice failed to disclose a $25,000 campaign donation from a top Republican lawmaker who is a defendant in a lawsuit challenging the state’s congressional map as an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander.

16 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What's the NC part about?

NC Republicans have tried every trick in the book to maintain a GOP advantage in the state. First there was gerrymandering.  Then when some of those seats got too close, they came up with a voting ID law and researched specifically which forms of government ID black people would be least likely to have, to make those the only acceptable forms of ID. Then they wanted a majority in the state Supreme court, so they tried to add two seats for the Republican governor to fill. Then the state elected a Democrat as governor, so they tried to strip the governor of all his powers. Then they decided that it wasn't good to have a bipartisan election commission to run elections- so they suggested a compromise where Republicans run the commission in even years and Democrats run it in odd years (guess when all of the important elections happen).

I know I got things out of order, and I probably missed a few things, but that's the gist of things.

Just now, balki1867 said:

NC Republicans have tried every trick in the book to maintain a GOP advantage in the state. First there was gerrymandering.  Then when some of those seats got too close, they came up with a voting ID law and researched specifically which forms of government ID black people would be least likely to have, to make those the only acceptable forms of ID. Then they wanted a majority in the state Supreme court, so they tried to add two seats for the Republican governor to fill. Then the state elected a Democrat as governor, so they tried to strip the governor of all his powers. Then they decided that it wasn't good to have a bipartisan election commission to run elections- so they suggested a compromise where Republicans run the commission in even years and Democrats run it in odd years.

I know I got things out of order, and I probably missed a few things, but that's the gist of things.

I live in NC so I know all about that. However, the comment about tweet seemed to indicate that they tried to impeach sitting members of the State Supreme Court. That was somewhat confusing.  

Just now, Hersh said:

I live in NC so I know all about that. However, the comment about tweet seemed to indicate that they tried to impeach sitting members of the State Supreme Court. That was somewhat confusing.  

Oh haha, you're right. My interpretation is that NC just proved that there's no end to GOP partisanship here- party first, at all costs.

1 minute ago, balki1867 said:

Oh haha, you're right. My interpretation is that NC just proved that there's no end to GOP partisanship here- party first, at all costs.

They prove that every ****ing day here unfortunately. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2018-governors-races/

Indeed, Democrats’ priority may be retaking Congress in order to make life more difficult for President Trump, but governors play a major role in “the resistance” as well. Governors of blue states are leading the legal fight against the Trump administration on tax law, implementing climate regulations and signing laws to protect undocumented immigrants.

Moreover, most governors have a seat at the table in the drawing of U.S. House district boundaries in their states; 2018 will be the last chance to elect 26 of those governors before the next redistricting cycle in 2021. After a boffo 2010 gubernatorial cycle, Republicans used their newfound power to gerrymander many states’ congressional districts, contributing to the GOP’s built-in advantage in House elections. Winning back these offices would give Democrats veto power over another decade of Republican gerrymanders — or perhaps even the ability to gerrymander their own districts.

Luckily for Democrats, then, the party is set up for success in 2018’s gubernatorial melee. Unlike the Senate map — inherited from the blue-leaning 2012 election and thus presenting few opportunities for Democratic gains — most of the 36 gubernatorial seats up in 2018 last appeared on the ballot in 2014, a Republican wave year. A full third of them are open seats being vacated by term-limited Republicans who first swept into office during the 2010 GOP wave. In total, Democrats have only nine governors’ offices to defend, while Republicans have a daunting 26 — and that’s before factoring in the unfavorable political environment. Presidential politics has less influence on gubernatorial results than it does on Senate and House races, but the connection is growing stronger in this era of intense partisanship. It would be foolish of Republicans to assume that their 2018 gubernatorial campaigns will be immune from Trump’s unpopularity and the Democratic strength on the generic ballot.

But while we can say with some confidence that the gubernatorial map favors Democrats, we can’t yet make many claims about how each race will unfold. Like someone whose eyeglasses prescription is five years out of date, we can make out the general contours, but it’s tough to get a clear picture of elections that are still nine months away. FiveThirtyEight’s usual not-so-secret weapon — polling — has a mixed record of accuracy at this early juncture in gubernatorial campaigns.

This, then, is the article we thought we would never write: a frank statement that a certain form of partisanship is now a moral necessity. The Republican Party, as an institution, has become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our democracy. The problem is not just Donald Trump; it’s the larger political apparatus that made a conscious decision to enable him. In a two-party system, nonpartisanship works only if both parties are consistent democratic actors. If one of them is not predictably so, the space for nonpartisans evaporates. We’re thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the country from Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the Republican Party from itself, is to do as Toren Beasley did: vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes (very preferably the former).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/boycott-the-gop/550907/

Archived