Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Julie Oliver, Democrat, running for Congress in Texas 25th District.

https://oliver2018.com

From the website

I grew up poor, and my mom was a retired public school teacher whom I took care of for the last 15 years of her life as she struggled with a chronic disease. When Congress came after healthcare for low-income folks, sick children, and the elderly, that was when I knew I had to run for Congress. The thought of my mom struggling to climb the stairs, barely able to breathe, with a daily regimen of countless medications, coupled with the thought of someone taking life-saving care from folks like my mom so that they could give themselves huge tax cuts and reward donors, that’s when I knew:

I’m running for Congress.

I am a native Texan with 15 years experience as a healthcare advocate and finance expert. My background is in taxation--in 2003 I co-wrote the Texas Motor Fuels tax, which brings millions of dollars into our state, much of it earmarked for public education. I volunteer in my community. And recently I was appointed by the Austin City Council to serve on the board of Central Health whose mission is delivering healthcare to low income folks, where I've been an outspoken champion for accountability, transparency, and getting high-quality healthcare to low-income and minority communities who have traditionally been under-served. Most importantly, I'm a mom to 4 great kids and a wife to my husband Matt.

I'm a progressive Democratic candidate for US House of Representatives in District 25. Everything is on the line in 2018, and in order for us to take back the House we’re going to need a Representative who is focused on helping the people she’s elected to serve.

19 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Considered to be a safe Republican district.  Just saying.

And that's fine, Williams ought to have someone actually running against him, the exact same way I'd like to see rational Republicans filing and running in "safe" D districts. No one should run unopposed anywhere. Sparking discussion and debate, prodding people to choose instead of just accepting some fait accompli is in itself a worthwhile reason to run.

48 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Considered to be a safe Republican district.  Just saying.

About time he was challenged. 

I am moving to the Austin area, not sure which district yet because I don't have an apartment yet. I will work for the Democrats there. I will also work to register voters to increase the electorate.

37 minutes ago, twa said:

Reduced to celebrating a state house win are we?....that's cute. :pint:

1 minute ago, twa said:

you need a list of election results?...I'm sure the winners celebrated. :)

I care about results.

oh.  Because 37 minutes ago you made a snarky comment about celebrating state house wins.  I thought you cared about winning.  And you still can't point out an election since Dec 2016 that the GOP has won where they weren't HEAVILY favored.  Though I can show you some where they lost while being heavily favored.

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Tax Bill?

Read above.  I said elections. 

let me help you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/01/17/this-is-what-the-democratic-special-election-wave-looks-like/?utm_term=.0aa382675e22

A critical point — one that Republicans will often hasten to note — is that the Democrats have made a lot of gains but have picked up far fewer seats. That’s the story of the House races in 2017: Democrats often vastly overperformed Hillary Clinton’s effort in 2016, but still didn’t actually win seats. That’s also because a lot of the races where there have been special elections were in heavily Republican areas, where picking up 10 points doesn’t matter if the Republicans usually win by 15.

Did I mention results?

Probably two biggest "wins" were holding onto Georgia 6th and keeping the VA House of Delegates.

These are not particularly big victories, seeing as they barely won the former and the latter was won only by a literal drawing of a name out of a hat due to a literal tie in one district, but in terms of holding back a wave, they give the GOP hope.

What is interesting to me going forward will be the generic ballot vs results.  I am wondering if GOP candidates IRL will under-perform their generic ballot counterparts.  After all, an imaginary generic ballot can be as pro or anti Trump as the voter wants, while the IRL candidate has to dance between the positions somewhat.

It's why, I suspect, Corker is being pulled back in by GOP bigwigs.  Corker has built his own brand, and it's not terrible.  Replacements are likely to get their teeth kicked in trying to build a brand in this environment.

24 minutes ago, twa said:

let me help you

Did I mention results?

Almost all of those special elections were in districts that Trump literally got to hand pick. Rs still lost seats. Next regular election wont be all districts selected bc they are safe. Kind of a big difference. But you already knew that. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Almost all of those special elections were in districts that Trump literally got to hand pick. Rs still lost seats. Next regular election wont be all districts selected bc they are safe. Kind of a big difference. But you already knew that. 

How much did the Dems invest and will need to...after blowing a billion on Hillary?

"They took a billion dollars, a billion dollars, abillion dollars, and set it on fire, and called it a campaign!"

but hey, ya won the popular vote. :rofl89:

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Read above.  I said elections. 

Oops, yes you did.  Believe the Republicans won 2-3 house special elections in the first half of 2017.

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Oops, yes you did.  Believe the Republicans won 2-3 house special elections in the first half of 2017.

And did it again as Dogo mentioned one of the House seats (Pretty sure there was another 1 and maybe two).

34 minutes ago, twa said:

How much did the Dems invest and will need to...after blowing a billion on Hillary?

"They took a billion dollars, a billion dollars, abillion dollars, and set it on fire, and called it a campaign!"

but hey, ya won the popular vote. :rofl89:

Versus whatever the Russians spent for Trumpf. :)

Archived