Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

It should have been thrown out.  There is too much ambiguity and thus no way to to determine for certainty whether the person intended to vote for Simmonds or Yancey.

What I have read (although I can't find the article now), is that other ballots with similar problems have been counted in the past, so it's not like this is new.

What's ironic is that Virginia had a bipartisan effort specifically to avoid this kind of controversy. Here's a New York Times article about it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/virginia-election-recount.html

and a relevant excerpt:

Fifteen pages long in its latest edition, Virginia’s booklet is titled “Ballot Examples: Hand Counting Printed Ballots for Virginia Elections or Recounts.” It is a detailed guide to sussing out a voter’s intention.

Despite the best bipartisan effort to bring rationality to the process, however, Virginia finds itself in a mess.

The challenged ballot shows bubbles for both Ms. Simonds and Mr. Yancey filled in, with a slash through the Simonds vote. Mr. Yancey’s lawyers argued in court last week that the voter intended to cross out the Simonds vote. The state handbook reads, “If there are identical marks for two or more candidates, clarified by an additional mark or marks that appear to indicate support, the ballot shall be counted as a vote for the candidate with the additional, clarifying marks.”

I'd prefer the ballot not be counted, but I suspect most of us are going to see what we want to see, and I can see why crossing out the democrat to correct the double fill could be construed under these rules as a mark of additional support for Yancey, especially since the rest of the votes were for Republicans.

As the article notes at the end:

Professor Green, the election law expert, said she was not surprised.

“What’s so interesting to me about elections is that the same attorneys will use the same arguments on the other side, Democrat or Republican,” she said. “Depending on their stance in the recount, the lawyers will say literally the same things.”

She was only sorry that law school was on break. Her students would eat up this case in class, she said.

If there were other tossed out ballots due to discrepancies then how can someone judge that one is ok, furthermore how can they make a judgement call for who the voter intended to vote for?  It would seem logical you either have to throw them all out or count them all, which is impossible since again you'd be guessing who they truly intended to vote for was. 

My best educated guess is she wanted to vote for the (R) candidate, but that is really besides the point at this juncture.  The bigger issue here I think is why were other ballots tossed for similar issues, or is that also just speculation?

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

If there were other tossed out ballots due to discrepancies then how can someone judge that one is ok, furthermore how can they make a judgement call for who the voter intended to vote for?  It would seem logical you either have to throw them all out or count them all, which is impossible since again you'd be guessing who they truly intended to vote for was. 

You must be one of them Republicans that want to disenfranchise folk.:silly:

They make every effort to see each vote counts, logic has no place here.

41 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Is there something that prevented the voter from asking for a new clean ballot at the polling location? Stupidity? Laziness? Actual rules?

That's exactly what you're supposed to do.

50 minutes ago, techboy said:

What I have read (although I can't find the article now), is that other ballots with similar problems have been counted in the past, so it's not like this is new.

The challenged ballot shows bubbles for both Ms. Simonds and Mr. Yancey filled in, with a slash through the Simonds vote. Mr. Yancey’s lawyers argued in court last week that the voter intended to cross out the Simonds vote.

Did they discount the vote for Ed Gillespie?  Because the person who filled out the ballot crossed out his bubble too.

While I understand striving to give franchise to every voter, there is some logic in arguing that if you can't follow simple directions to fill out a ballot, you shouldn't be voting anyway. 

I'm mad they picked a name randomly out of a hat to count as the finally vote, like anybody walked into a booth and filled in random bubbles like they were playing the lottery.  I agree with forcing a recount or even another election, would've felt same way if the democrat name got pulled instead.  Maybe more people will vote next time.

I'm going to put this here because it needs to be addressed in 2018.

A sad day for public education in the United States! The U.S. House of Representatives has introduced Bill 610. This bill will effectively start the school voucher system to be used by children ages 5 to 17, and starts the de-funding process of public schools.

The bill will eliminate the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESSA) of 1965 which is the nation's educational law and provides equal opportunity in education. It is a comprehensive program that covers programs for struggling learners, AP classes, ESL classes, classes for minorities such as Native Americans, Rural Education, Education for the Homeless, School Safety (Gun-Free schools), Monitoring and Compliance and Federal Accountability Programs.

The bill also abolishes the Nutritional Act of 2012 (No Hungry Kids Act) which provides nutritional standards in school breakfast and lunch. For our most vulnerable, this may be the ONLY nutritious food they have in a day.

The bill has no wording whatsoever protecting special needs kids, no mention of IDEA and FAPE.

Some things the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESSA) of 1965 does for Children with Disabilities:
-ensures access to the general education curriculum
-ensures access to accommodations on assessments
-ensures concepts of Universal Design for Learning
-includes provisions that require local education agencies to provide evidence-based interventions in schools with consistently underperforming subgroups
-requires states in Title I plans to address how they will improve conditions for learning including reducing incidents of bullying and harassment in schools, overuse of discipline practices and reduce the use of aversive behavioral interventions (such as restraints and seclusion).

Please call your representative and ask him/her to vote NO on House Bill 610 (HR 610).

Please consider copying and pasting this post. Thanks for advocating on behalf of our nation's youth and their families!

On 1/6/2018 at 9:12 AM, LadySkinsFan said:

Lesbian, Iraqi War Vet, first generation Filipina -American running for Congress in San Antonio Texas. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gina-ortiz-jones-will-hurd-texas-2018_us_5a4c069ce4b0b0e5a7a94c48?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

That district definitely is one of the Battle Ground Districts and is primarily Hispanic. That said the Hispanics in that particular district  are fairly conservative (How else could Republicans win there?) ? Additionally, Will Hurd is definitely one of the Republicans I would prefer to win (Yes I want almost all Republicans to win but some more than others - he'd fall into the some more than others category).  

I mean living, breathing humans. 

He voted to eliminate the ACA, and the tax give away to the wealthy and corporations to the detriment of the poor and middle class people. 

I bet he also votes to curtail the social safety net. 

If so and based on his previous votes he needs to go.

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I mean living, breathing humans. 

He voted to eliminate the ACA, and the tax give away to the wealthy and corporations to the detriment of the poor and middle class people. 

I bet he also votes to curtail the social safety net. 

If so and based on his previous votes he needs to go.

They are alive and require oxygen....and make breathing movements

The ACA sucks

I'm getting a tax cut and am niether

Someone needs to curtail it

Still she seems a cut above many Dems.....so she will probably lose the Dem primary. 

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A primary between Joe Arpaio and Chemtrail Kelly should be an epic descent into madness.  

Alabama all over again. Two wingnuts + weak establishment candidate.

5 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I wonder who Trump is going to endorse. Arizona primary is going to ridiculous.

Arpaio is going to win the primary in a freaking landslide. Trump will probably back him.

The Arizona GOP primary isn't until September. Arpaio is going to be a headline machine just like Roy Moore. This is going to be a total ****show.

I think Arpaio will get trounced in the primary, just like he did in has last election.  But I guess we'll see, I don't know a ton about Arizona state politics.  I'm willing to bet that, just like Alabama, the big winner is the Democrat, Krysten Sinema who is not going to have to deal with a primary against a huge dickhead. 

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think Arpaio will get trounced in the primary, just like he did in has last election.  But I guess we'll see, I don't know a ton about Arizona state politics.  I'm willing to bet that, just like Alabama, the big winner is the Democrat, Krysten Sinema who is not going to have to deal with a primary against a huge dickhead. 

I’m working on the assumption that primary voters are almost always the hardcore base, who are super fond of Trump and Arpaio. 

Archived