Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yikes!

(This isn't directed at you, just having fun) 

Weird that teams would pay that kind of money for a good albeit not great QB who can't elevate a team? 

Don't they know they can't pay for a guy like that AND have a good defense? 

How naive can these franchises be about the realities of today's NFL?  All of these teams we keep hearing about: the Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, maybe even the Vikings? Dummies?

Don't these teams understand Kirk's never won a playoff game?

Have they seen the tape of the Giants game, 2016?

Don't they know they can simply get a Dak Prescott type in the 4th round cheap?

Aren't they afraid Bruce-Dan will get the last laugh and are on to something they aren't?

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

If it becomes clear he 100% wants out of here then I'd want a 2nd rounder plus changes in the 2018 draft, minimum. 

Waiting on a 3rd rounder in 2019 is like pissing into the wind. Waste of time and energy in sure a high profile scenario.

If he wants out, play hard.

I thought the 3rd rounder for Kirk would be nullified if they spend the same amount or close to it in FA this year.  I saw that confirmed in an article.  So if we are going nuts with all the extra cash from letting Kirk go -- the 3rd rounder in 2019 goes away, too.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought the 3rd rounder for Kirk would be nullified if they spend the same amount or close to it in FA this year.  I saw that confirmed in an article. 

There are a few variables on that I believe, contract size, playing time etc. They could nullify I guess depending on what we spend, but I reckon if he moved elsewhere on a record breaking contract and played 16 regular season games, we'd bag a third. Especially if we lose Brown and Breeland as they would likely offset the major incoming signing contracts in respect of comp picks.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Weird that teams would pay that kind of money for a good albeit not great QB who can't elevate a team? 

How naive can these franchises be about the realities of today's NFL?  All of these teams we keep hearing about: the Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, maybe even the Vikings? Dummies?

Aren't they afraid Bruce-Dan will get the last laugh and are on to something they aren't?

Love this! Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle! 

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought the 3rd rounder for Kirk would be nullified if they spend the same amount or close to it in FA this year.  I saw that confirmed in an article.  So if we are going nuts with all the extra cash from letting Kirk go -- the 3rd rounder in 2019 goes away, too.

You are of course right. If they let Kirk walk the likelihood they do not get a player or players to replace what's lost is very very small.

Not directed at you at all, but let's just for the sake of argument say the 3rd is guaranteed. if a compensatory pick is any part of the equation in terms of signing or not signing Kirk, we are screwed, even more than it already appears we are. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To be fair, that tweet doesn't actually say anything about whether the Browns would ever pay Kirk that much, it's just what is heard he would be asking for. For all we know the Browns FO may see those numbers and go

ming-meme.jpg

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To be fair, that tweet doesn't actually say anything about whether the Browns would ever pay Kirk that much, it's just what is heard he would be asking for. For all we know the Browns FO may see those numbers and go

Corry has been on the train that Kirk could get that amount period whether its from the Browns or anyone else.  He's got other company on the same point from guys like Schefter.

Just about everyone is on board that Kirk is getting at least 25-27 million a year with a good load of guaranteed money.  So yeah unless all this potential multiple team interest are all fabrications from the national media along with various team beat writers -- Kirk is going to have a market.

And if so, all these teams are willing to walk the plank as defined by the Kirk skeptics here.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And if so, all these teams are willing to walk the plank as defined by the Kirk skeptics here.

Some of us went on record back in April 2012 that the RG3 tradeup was a bad risk.

When Kirk signs an NFL record contract with whatever team, I want all the Cousins haters to tell the board what a mistake that organization is making and how they won't be able to afford a playoff caliber roster after paying Cousins.

Eric GalkoVerified account @OptimumScouting
FollowingFollowing @OptimumScouting
More

Eric Galko Retweeted Scotty Payne

From what I’ve heard, and I asked a lot of people this week, It seems it’s more likely than not that Kirk plays for the #Broncos next year. And the contract details mat be very interesting. Arizona in the mix as well. If they sign Kirk, I don’t expect a QB at 5.

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder how the Jags find cap room it seems like year after year to go after the big fish in FA.   

This part not directed to you.  So you can build an elite defense AND pay for QB?  I thought the whole notion here is that the pro-Kirk people are naive and just not realists.  OK.  So when did Jacksonville become the new Patriots -- lets take them out of the equation because well Jacksonville is special -- they can just do things that other teams can't?  :ols:  

This could be directed towards me, I wouldn't mind one bit; a simple honest back-n-forth convo on this flustercluck.

I would say this; the Jags aren't the Patriots, and this could have very well been a one hit wonder this year for them, then they return to the depths of their division once again in 2018.

But there are actually a number of teams who sucked for awhile, then got their act together and became perennial winners. The Seahawks, Steelers, Chiefs, Giants [ up until this past year ], Falcons, and maybe I could throw in the Saints.

For the most part, these teams win more than they lose, and usually make the playoffs. The Jags could very well have found the key to building an organization that can be a perennial winner. It can't be the same 4 teams forever, eventually another team will rise from the ashes to become a winning team.

And we've seen teams like the Jags, who seem to have most everything except a QB; the Patriots are not going to keep winning, especially when Brady retires. But they have a pretty good foundation and system to nurture another QB to be a fairly decent to good team. Thats why my thinking is the Jags will go after Cousins; Bortles had his moment, and there aren't many who believes he will be able to progress, so that leaves them in a precarious situation. They will want a solid QB who they feel can get them over that Patriots hump, and Cousins could be the guy.

Now, the catch is exactly what you were talking about; they've spent a lot of money, so they will be mortgaging their future for a few years of being good. Once the big player contracts come up, they will not be able to keep all of them, then the team will go downhill. But a lot of teams would do exactly that just for the chance to get a couple SB appearances under their belts.

I think if the Browns or the Jags are interested then you trade Cousins rights to those teams now...  get a minimum 3rd for this year out of the trade and those teams can get the control over Cousins future...

boths Jags and Browns have enough space in their cap room to transition tag Cousins and match any offer... 

if if I were the Jag then I would do it... their defense is so good with lots of young players on rookie contracts... they need to make a push within next two years to win it all!!!

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The Broncos make too much sense.  I can only imagine how much Mike has talked up Kirk to Elway.  

The ego and supposed hatred of Shanny from this front office might be an ally as to retaining Kirk in the context of Denver.  Can you imagine hearing later about how Shanny convinced Elway to sign Kirk and then the Broncos made some serious noise in 2018 and the Redskins took a step down?  Shanny would have fun and bask talking about it eventually on DC's local radio shows.   I'd presume these thoughts have crossed Dan's mind.

The more I think about it, the more I think Czaben's article about Mayfield or bust is on the mark.    I think that even more so after the Senior Bowl practices where Mayfield might have solidified himself as a top 5 pick or at worst top 10.  Buzz level is just increasing. 

I just can't think of a draft pick, trade or FA signing that offsets the buzz kill of losing Kirk aside from Mayfield.  Mayfield has RG3 level hype -- Dan would likely be mesmerized by that.   And I wonder if that adds a dynamic to considering trading Kirk because at this point they might need a top 10 pick to leverage themselves into that position.  For example, a trade could involve a swap of picks with Denver. 

On 1/25/2018 at 8:07 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

...don't be surprised that Kirk gives a cap friendly deal to ANOTHER team.  Just not the Redskins.  Kirk just wants to win, etc.

Cant fault him, his choice if he sees an opportunity to jump on a team he thinks is ready to compete for a trophy. We are the fools for not seeing it earlier.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

organizational failure that's breaking new ground in ineptitude. 

Never try to keep someone who doesn't want to be kept. They will make you look foolish in the end.

5 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Some of us went on record back in April 2012 that the RG3 tradeup was a bad risk.

When Kirk signs an NFL record contract with whatever team, I want all the Cousins haters to tell the board what a mistake that organization is making and how they won't be able to afford a playoff caliber roster after paying Cousins.

So you can’t get that some teams are much closer to a championship then the Skins are? Is that hard to understand? I’ve said all along that a team like the Jaguars would likely take Kirk to a super bowl because they are stacked everywhere except QB! You can’t say anything like that about the Redskins can you? 

I would like the Kirk supporters to say how signing him to another one year deal after three years of seeing if he could lift the team to the playoffs and failing to doesn’t meet the definition of insanity. You know doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. Why would anyone think that Kirk here one more season is a good thing when it’s been downhill for the team since he started with the one year deals

Truth is Kirk on another teams win results does not mean that Kirk is right for this team. Kirk’s success on his new club doesn’t say anything about Kirk on this club. Some teams are just better fits for Kirk then others. Denver, Jacksonville, Cleveland are all better spots for Kirk then this club is

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The Broncos make too much sense.

I agree. Elway had tried to draft his QB and failed with Lynch.

Cousins ain't swapping this place for the Browns or Jets. No way I see that.

Im hoping Elway and Cousins want each other real bad. Should help facilitating a trade. 

10 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

There are a few variables on that I believe, contract size, playing time etc. They could nullify I guess depending on what we spend, but I reckon if he moved elsewhere on a record breaking contract and played 16 regular season games, we'd bag a third. Especially if we lose Brown and Breeland as they would likely offset the major incoming signing contracts in respect of comp picks.

Compensatory picks are awarded by doing a substraction from the player you lose through FA and those you gain from FA.

So losing Kirk will help us, but if we go big in FA we might not be awarded a compensatory pick as well.

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe it's like politics, egomania and impatience are the main reasons why some teams act like this. Witnessing guys like Keenum who had 9TD and 11INT last year and goes 22-7 this year doesn't help. As a matter of fact Kirk never won a playoff game, but I think those teams believe he can with a different cast and coaching staff around him. In the end there will always be a dummy willing to pull the trigger.

Welcome to the land of make believe ! ;)

43 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Compensatory picks are awarded by doing a substraction from the player you lose through FA and those you gain from FA.

So losing Kirk will help us, but if we go big in FA we might not be awarded a compensatory pick as well.

Yeh I know. In the scenario I explained, I couldn't see our incomings matching outgoings of Cousins, Brown and Breeland. 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yeh I know. In the scenario I explained, I couldn't see our incomings matching outgoings of Cousins, Brown and Breeland. 

We must remember that if no cousin's and we go with McCoy we will have $52m in cap space available.  Andrew Norwell (G), Jarvis Landry(WR) and Bennie Logan (DT) Come to mind as Redskins targets if no cousin's. 

HTTR 

Archived