Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

34 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Where did this come from?  I don't see it on either of those Twitter accounts and I googled it and saw nothing too.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/1/24/16929264/adam-schefter-jacksonville-jaguars-sign-kirk-cousins-alex-smith-move-on-from-blake-bortles

The Jacksonville Jaguars can (and likely will) go after a premier free agent quarterback like Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith during free agency this year, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Appearing on Stephen A. Smith’s radio show, Schefter speculated about the likelihood of the Jaguars going after a quarterback and the likelihood that other teams would move on from their own guys — namely the Minnesota Vikings and Case Keenum.

@AdamSchefter just said on @stephenasmith’s radio show that if Jacksonville can land Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, they’d move on from Blake Bortles. And he thinks they go after them. And the Jags are much more likely to move on from Blake than Minnesota is moving on from Keenum.

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Serious question, what do people see in Allen that they don't see in Rudolph?

Ridiculous upside mostly. Great escapability, very good at improvising when things break down, crazy physical gifts, played in an offense that is definitely closer to pro style than Rudolph. To me Rudolph is just a very ho-hum prospect who plays in a QB friendly offense with simple reads in a division that has crap for defense. 

26 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Stafford and Carr aren't worth top 2 QB money either, yet there they are...

And it's possible that they may have hamstrung their team's ability to get extra talent around them. I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You are really reaching here and it appears to be in an effort to make yourself believe the FO is competent and it's traitor Kirk at the root of the problem.

Not at all.

More like, Kirk Cousins wasn't going to sign a long term deal with us last year. 

Period.

12 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Not at all.

More like, Kirk Cousins wasn't going to sign a long term deal with us last year. 

Period.

Said on Jul 18th, 2017 from the man himself.  But if you followed the narrative last year closely -- what Kirk was thinking depends on what point of the off season it was.  You are lumping everything together like all the events unfolded in a neat-linear way with no shifts/bumps on the road aside from McVay.  It's not how it was described, though.  Yeah Kirk does a nice job bailing out the FO with niceties but that's his style.  

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/kirk-cousins-speaks-publicly-after-yet-another-deadline-passes/

“As of last week, I was still praying about whether or not to send an offer,” Cousins said. “And it was just within the last few days that we really closed the book and felt peace about just playing on a one-year deal.”

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/1/24/16929264/adam-schefter-jacksonville-jaguars-sign-kirk-cousins-alex-smith-move-on-from-blake-bortles

The Jacksonville Jaguars can (and likely will) go after a premier free agent quarterback like Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith during free agency this year, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Appearing on Stephen A. Smith’s radio show, Schefter speculated about the likelihood of the Jaguars going after a quarterback and the likelihood that other teams would move on from their own guys — namely the Minnesota Vikings and Case Keenum.

I don't see why they would go after Smith unless it's a money thing.

I think Jacksonville is the better choice for Kirk than Denver, I think Denver is slowly falling apart and not the same team that won the Superbowl a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Said on Jul 18th, 2017 from the man himself.  But if you followed the narrative last year closely -- what Kirk was thinking depends on what point of the off season it was.  You are lumping everything together like all the events unfolded in a neat-linear way with no shifts/bumps on the road aside from McVay.  It's not how it was described, though.  Yeah Kirk does a nice job bailing out the FO with niceties but that's his style.  

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/kirk-cousins-speaks-publicly-after-yet-another-deadline-passes/

“As of last week, I was still praying about whether or not to send an offer,” Cousins said. “And it was just within the last few days that we really closed the book and felt peace about just playing on a one-year deal.”

I saw that but then his fathers' comments and the comments about McVay, along with emphasizing in his interview with Larry Michael ( around the time the second offer was made ) how " everyone is really on a one year deal ". " The Lord, for me, likes to use one year contracts "... the part in bold could be true but I think a one year deal is what Kirk really wanted.

9 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I saw that but then his fathers' comments and the comments about McVay, along with emphasizing in his interview with Larry Michael ( around the time the second offer was made ) how " everyone is really on a one year deal " ... the part in bold is absolutely true though.

The narrative was consistent on this front from the beat guys, especially Keim-Jones:

Open to a deal in the Winter-January-February

The negotiation though was sour.

McVay leaving and the nastiness of Scot's dismissal, receivers leaving all in tandem -- made him wonder about the future of the franchise -- that's when he wasn't sure if he wanted to come back

Tone of negotiation improved in the Spring

In Kirk's own words he didn't close off the idea of working out a deal until about a week or so before the deadline.

What his Dad said was correct in the context of everything else but you are generalizing it as if that was the feeling from day one after the 2016 season ended or when McVay left.  Not so according to some people covering the story closely.

I don't get the Josh Allen stuff -at all.   You can't fix accuracy -and he doesn't look to have it.  Heck the media love him and still already you're hearing stories about him struggling at senior bowl practice in spite of that.   The bloom is gonna come off that rose real quick.  Dude is Jake Locker.

Give me a cheaper Rudolph or even a longer and cheaper shot at Luke Falk. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We can make fun of the Jets but some forget, we lost out to them in a bidding war for Mark Sanchez.  But our FO apparently really dug Sanchez, too.  I read an article that Dan Snyder had to be talked out of Brady Quinn because he really dug him.   Doug Williams bragged in an article about he was a big Josh Freeman guy.

Can't wait to see what our FO is thinking this year.  :ols:  We can laugh at the Jets but the only guy we've gotten right at QB ironically has been Kirk.  Otherwise, the Redskins are up there with the Browns or any of the clown FOs as to the QB position for the last two decades plus.

I think it is grossly unfair to the Browns to compare them to the Redskins.  Yes, the Browns like the Skins have a horrible history of ineptitude in drafting and developing QBs but as far as I know the Browns never failed to secure a QB that blossomed in their midst.  Perhaps if one of their many picks had work out in the future they will manage to lose him, which I think requires a special kind of short bus stupid to accomplish.  The Skins appear to be setting a new standard for mismanagement, the Cleveland is not NFL idiot central anymore that dishonor goes to Ashburn, VA.

49 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins appear to be setting a new standard for mismanagement, the Cleveland is not NFL idiot central anymore that dishonor goes to Ashburn, VA.

Seriously, imagine the Redskins picking up all the guys in the front office that Cleveland just did and resigning KC. What would we all be saying about the future of the Redskins right now.

Instead they are doubling down on the buffoonery. Hell, they didn't even go after an OC. ****ing retards.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps @RonBurgandy should quit watching pro football, if you only like guys who are "humble" particularly when it comes to getting paid. In fact, just stop watching pro sports altogether.

:ols:

Yeah and I'd add Kirk hasn't said anything like that himself.  If we recall the rumor was Eli Mannings camp years ago said he wants to be the highest paid player in the league.  Eli himself never said squat of that kind.  He didn't end up becoming the highest paid player in the league.  As for what Kirk has said during this whole thing, you can practically play violins including him bailing the FO out for all of their faux pas. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Jaguars are reportedly looking to acquire either Redskins QB Kirk Cousins or Chiefs’ Alex Smith, and if they are successful, they will move on from Blake Bortles. (via @AdamSchefter / @ESPNSAS)

38 replies662 retweets1,012 likes

Told ya so ! :P

I think they go after Cousins; and with all the drama, I think it steers him that direction. He will come out and say he just felt it was his time to make a change, and that he will always cherish the times and opportunities the Redskins gave him. Or he could just say god told him to go there.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Told ya so ! :P

I think they go after Cousins; and with all the drama, I think it steers him that direction. He will come out and say he just felt it was his time to make a change, and that he will always cherish the times and opportunities the Redskins gave him. Or he could just say god told him to go there.

Wonder how the Jags find cap room it seems like year after year to go after the big fish in FA.   

This part not directed to you.  So you can build an elite defense AND pay for QB?  I thought the whole notion here is that the pro-Kirk people are naive and just not realists.  OK.  So when did Jacksonville become the new Patriots -- lets take them out of the equation because well Jacksonville is special -- they can just do things that other teams can't?  :ols:  

I think what is interesting is the fact that Cousins blossomed in a very QB friendly system - McVay made Goff into a MVP candidate; Gruden made people believe in Dalton - I kind of see what GMSM said - Kirk is a very good QB - just not a special QB and if you want to go far you have to think long and hard if you want to saddle your team with an 'Ok' talent or make that painful decision to walk away and start again. 

GMSM wanted to sign him in 2015 but at a bargain rate - 

The best move now is to plan for the future and have a placeholder Vet for a year whether that is Cousins OR someone else is another question 

Tandler, another proponent of the transition tag being the easier tag to trade Kirk out of.  Corry was the first guy that got my attention on this since the dude has been in the business for years and knows a ton about the complexities of contracts.  Previously, I thought franchise tag was the main boat to do it.  I still think either tag would be tough to do a trade.  But if the FO wants to save face in a scenario where Kirk leaves its the only thing IMO that saves them a tiny bit.  It doesn't save them overall IMO but its the only thing that doesn't make it look like a an epic debacle.  

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-can-redskins-tag-and-trade-cousins?utm_content=buffer8e20e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

If the Redskins want to try to tag and trade Cousins, the transition tag would be a much better vehicle to use. The practical effect would be the same and the Redskins would not have as much cap space tied up during the process.

There doesn’t really need to be any winking and nodding involved; the Redskins can give Cousins’ agent permission to talk to any or all teams at any time. Here is my understanding of how it could work out after the Redskins put the tag on him. 1) Cousins works out a deal with, say, Denver. No offer sheet is signed. 2) Cousins goes back to the Redskins, signs the tag, and the teams execute a trade that was agreed to beforehand. 3) Cousins signs the new deal with the Broncos.

There are a lot of moving parts to such a deal but there would be benefits for all three parties. Cousins appears to want out and this would assure him that the Redskins won’t match an offer sheet. The Broncos will be able to get their man without needing to use a heavily frontloaded contract, which they really can’t afford. And the Redskins would be able to get compensation for Cousins. A lot can go wrong here so there is no guarantee they could pull this off, but it is the best-case scenario of Cousins’ departure is inevitable.

Make him a REAL DEAL offer NOW comparable to Stanford and Carr. Give him a deadline well before the the deadline to franchise him. Give him a chance to look it over and review, in private. (1 week) If it looks like he’s gonna drag it out Make it public. Also let him know you are going to make it public before you do it.  The offer has to be totally legit, can’t have anything in there that’s unfair or can be taken as a slight in any way. LEGIT offer.

The Pro Kirk fans, have always held that because we’ve never actually made him a fair offer he has no choice but to bail on the team. 

If THIS ^ situation has some time to fester I think the PR look would be very bad for Kirk, and may make him think twice before turning it down. 

If he does turn it down, then you try and tag & trade him. I think in this scenario, he’d be more amenable to helping us get him out of town via trade to a team he wants to go to. (Jaguars, Jets, Broncos, Bills, Browns, Cards).

If he turns down a super legit offer AND does not help us get compensation via trade, then much of the errors we’ve made would rest squarely on Kirk’s shoulders.

i mean at this point we’ve painted ourselves so far into a corner that it’s desperation time, no?  

If we lose Kirk for nothing and go with a rookie, this franchise could be headed right off a cliff, imo.

am I crazy? Is this unprofessional? Unethical? Could it work? 

I’m Just spitballing here obviously, trying to find a solution to our self made nightmare. Lmk what you think. Happy Friday!

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tandler, another proponent of the transition tag being the easier tag to trade Kirk out of.  Corry was the first guy that got my attention on this since the dude has been in the business for years and knows a ton about the complexities of contracts.  Previously, I thought franchise tag was the main boat to do it.  I still think either tag would be tough to do a trade.

I've been on record of not liking the thought of either tag - and especially the transition tag if the team were to seek a trade.  In fact, obtaining a trade on either tag has inherent risk.  The only way I see either tag working in a trade scenario is there's some kind of special handshake involved between Kirk's agent and the team that the end result will be a trade - which could end up backfiring when McCartney basically just blows us off and gets Kirk's new team to front-load a contract where we're not able to match (T-tag) or just have Kirk sign the F-tag and do nothing where we're stuck holding a 34.5m bag, which to me, would cripple the team.

Thinking about it a little more, both tag & trade possibilities would require Kirk to sign a tag of some type as we'd need to own his rights for a trade to happen.  That basically locks him in to being with the Redskins if no trade is obtained.  I suppose the 28m transition tag would be slightly more palatable than the 34.5m franchise tag.  I just cringe thinking about it, realizing he'll probably just walk the following year if we don't give him another tag in 2019 (ick)...   And there's still the possibility of McCartney agreeing to have Kirk sign the T-tag and then just not having it happen where he goes to the highest bidder and we're not able to match.

Archived